I love Twitter, but I use it in a completely different way than Facebook. I have them linked for convenience, but as far as the way I actually interact with them, it's really different.
I use Facebook to connect (or stay connected) with people I know in real life and Twitter to network and connect with people I don't know in real life (celebrities, news organizations, TV shows, magazines, etc). I get more news, follow links and get fun facts (like how often Kim Kardashian works out...it's staggering!) from Twitter. Love it for the behind-the-scenes element from people like Ryan Seacrest and TV show writers. Also used it to connect with one of the co-executive producers of one of my favorite shows prior to Comic-Con, got to meet up with her there, and she asked me to send in my resume for the show! I ultimately didn't pursue it super hard because we aren't ready to move to Vancouver (yet!?), but it was one of the coolest experiences ever. You can look at my follow list and tell exactly what kind of info I like to get from Twitter (twitter.com/michellewheeler).
Don't get me wrong, I get a lot of validation from having followers and seeing that number grow, but the following is what I love about Twitter. I'm really picky about the people I follow because I have the Twitter app on my phone and it's my go-to if I have a spare few minutes in a waiting room or something. But it's not quite the time-suck that Facebook is because you can filter the information you want to pursue a lot more easily. Oh, and I love the Twitter app SO much more than the actual site. I almost NEVER visit the website, so that helps with the time management too.
Geez. I know that was a really long explanation, but I don't think many people really understand that they are two different media and can be used more effectively if treated as such.
I love Twitter, but I use it in a completely different way than Facebook. I have them linked for convenience, but as far as the way I actually interact with them, it's really different.
ReplyDeleteI use Facebook to connect (or stay connected) with people I know in real life and Twitter to network and connect with people I don't know in real life (celebrities, news organizations, TV shows, magazines, etc). I get more news, follow links and get fun facts (like how often Kim Kardashian works out...it's staggering!) from Twitter. Love it for the behind-the-scenes element from people like Ryan Seacrest and TV show writers. Also used it to connect with one of the co-executive producers of one of my favorite shows prior to Comic-Con, got to meet up with her there, and she asked me to send in my resume for the show! I ultimately didn't pursue it super hard because we aren't ready to move to Vancouver (yet!?), but it was one of the coolest experiences ever. You can look at my follow list and tell exactly what kind of info I like to get from Twitter (twitter.com/michellewheeler).
Don't get me wrong, I get a lot of validation from having followers and seeing that number grow, but the following is what I love about Twitter. I'm really picky about the people I follow because I have the Twitter app on my phone and it's my go-to if I have a spare few minutes in a waiting room or something. But it's not quite the time-suck that Facebook is because you can filter the information you want to pursue a lot more easily. Oh, and I love the Twitter app SO much more than the actual site. I almost NEVER visit the website, so that helps with the time management too.
Geez. I know that was a really long explanation, but I don't think many people really understand that they are two different media and can be used more effectively if treated as such.