There are days when I forget that I am a blogger or an active participant of Facebook and Instagram.
And those are some of the most enjoyable days.
Those days I don't take pictures and I don't update my status. I don't get engrossed in my iPhone. And because of that I don't miss out on conversations with my friends or moments that don't deserve to be captured or documented because they are too precious.
Through this blog, I let you see parts of my life and hear some of the thoughts of my mind or the murmurs of my heart, but that is not all of me. It is just the small slice that I allow you to see.
Last week someone commented that my blog lacked substance lately. I am assuming they meant substance as posts where I write about loss, or fear, or heartache or my faith. I try to keep this blog as a place where I can be real and authentic, but I feel convicted to keep some parts of my life private. I truly struggle with the balance of laying it all out there for the world to see and saving some pieces of my life for just me.
Last week someone commented that my blog lacked substance lately. I am assuming they meant substance as posts where I write about loss, or fear, or heartache or my faith. I try to keep this blog as a place where I can be real and authentic, but I feel convicted to keep some parts of my life private. I truly struggle with the balance of laying it all out there for the world to see and saving some pieces of my life for just me.
The online world is an interesting, fun, but sometimes crazy place. I "live online" because I love learning from all of you about motherhood, or being a wife, or a student, or a Etsy shop owner, or just a girl after God's heart. I love the inspiration and the ideas and the encouragement.
I'm sharing parts of me on this blog because I want to do what so many others have done for me - inspire and encourage and have some fun together. There will be days when I'll share my heart and there will be days when I share just pictures of my cat.
I love blogging and I love "living online" with all of you.
Do any of you struggle with what you share on your blog?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI have to politely disagree with the above comment, rather, I just have a different take on it. I enjoy some blogs more than others, often for the "peek into someone else's life" aspect. My blog is written for me. If someone is interested in it, then they can read it or if they aren't they won't. And that's just fine. Some days I'm inspired to share a personal struggle, other days I just want to post a silly picture or story. And it's what I hope from other blogs too, like yours. I don't like the more "famous" blogs. They seem really..contrived. So, for me, a picture of your cat would be a nice break from vintage shoes, Etsy shops and deep thoughts.
ReplyDeleteThanks Eileen for your comment and insight. The blog's content has become "lighter" recently because I have felt like the loss we experienced in October really rocked me and I didn't want a thousand posts about how sad I am.
ReplyDeleteI think everyone blogs for a different reason, just as we are drawn to blogs for our reasons. To each their own, right?
Take care and God Bless!
Thanks Kelly. I also enjoy blogs that have a balance between lighthearted fun and personal things - which is probably why mine is a mix. I have enjoyed reading your blog as well!
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting. :)
You don't have to explain yourself or explain anything to your readers. This is your place to write and express yourself. Yes, it's good to get your emotions out when you're going through a tough time, but I think rehashing it in blog post after blog post would be unhealthy for the writer and might get you "stuck". I'm going through some rough stuff right now and haven't blogged in a while, because I think that if I write about it over and over again, it's not going to make things better. Maybe it will make for a juicy blog post, but it's not going to help me. What's going to make things better is going out there and living life. I think a lot of the appeal of reading blogs is the voyeuristic experience of it, and people like to see other people "lay it all out there" when they're going through something. But that's not really good. If you want to write about something difficult because it will help YOU, then do it, but don't obligated to if some people want it just for entertainment. I think it's really reassuring to see that you have gone through something so hard, but you're resilient and still finding the good in everyday things.
ReplyDeleteEmily, thanks for your comment. I really appreciate your insight! I am so sorry to hear you are going through something difficult - hugs to you!
ReplyDeleteI don't think your blog has lost substance. I actually love that you have been posting more frequently than before, even if they are short post, I enjoy them all. Let the haters- hate, and you just keep rockin' it!
ReplyDeleteI get so upset when I read people's comments whereby they judge blogs and what they think they should be. The bottom line is: this is YOUR space, it can and will be whatever you want it to be. I come here to read what you write about because I am genuinely interested in what you have to say, whether it be about your adoption process or a recipe. I am intrigued by you as a person, therefore I follow. I read a comment on someone's blog recently where the reader told the blogger she should stop posting fashion posts because she is NOT a fashion blogger. Another commenter ripped a blogger to shreds for her post on why she chooses NOT to cloth diaper. I mean, seriously! They can write about and post whatever they want, it's their blog! Such a strange concept this whole blogosphere can be, they way people feel so entitled to tell you what they think you should do or who you should be.
ReplyDeleteDon't change a thing about this lovely space, my friend. You have faithful followers for a reason.
i'm not a blogger but i can understand how you would want to keep certain things private...and that's okay! i enjoy reading your blog the way it is :)
ReplyDeleteand on that note, i made the roasted red pepper chicken parm you posted last week, last night and it was delicious!!
I completely agree with Olivia Grace and Kelley. This blog is your space. You can write about whatever you want. If people like it, they will stay, if they don't they'll leave, that's ok too. This space is for YOU.
ReplyDeleteI struggle a lot with how personal I want to get on my blog. On one hand I like to keep some things more private because you know what, maybe I don't want everyone I know and don't know to have an idea of what I'm going through all the time. But then I don't want to be fake and things be rainbows and butterflies all the time because that's not how life is. If I feel like writing a blog post will help me through one of my struggles, I write about it. The blog world can be a very helpful and supportive place but can also be mean.
And like Kelley said, some days I just want to post a funny picture, or post nothing at all. That's ok. I say, do what you want to do with your blog. I enjoy everything from your difficult venting posts to your recipes. :)
Lindsey Marie - Thanks! :)
ReplyDeleteLiv - You're right! The blog world IS strange and I feel like with all the negativity in the world, we should support each other on here, or at least not post comments that are not constructive or add value.
ReplyDeleteAnd YOUR blog is one of the ones I love because you post such different stuff - Stepping Out fashion posts and breastfeeding and photos and stories too. I love it!
Sarah - so glad the recipe worked! It's one of my favorite comfort foods.
ReplyDeleteMrs. Kee - You took the words right out of my mouth. Keeping that balance is hard because life isn't peachy keen all the time. Thanks for your perspective!! :)
ReplyDeleteYou know, I had a lot to say - I wrote it all out, but then deleted it. It was just too... bitchy. I will just say that everyone's blog is their own space to write, and if we enjoy seeing your pics (hello, massive NYC diamond!) and keep coming back, then it's because we want to. We like you, not just how you write. I'm not here to "grade" your blog. If people keep coming back to my blog, even after I write about finding dog turds in front of my Christmas tree, Lord love 'em! Sometimes, it helps them know, they're not the only people with crazy freakin' dogs! I'm not always funny (yes, I really am), sometimes I write about potty training, and show pics of my cranky old turtle eating a banana. Why? Well, not everyone has seen that before. And it's interesting to know that he eats it from the inside out. It's a cool bit of knowledge, if ever you want to dazzle your friends at a party. I digress. Some people like my lil' blog, and some don't. The ones who don't X out of my page. Or they hit Manage and Stop Following This Site. It's just that simple, folks.
ReplyDeleteI think some people need to not blame someone behind a computer screen for lack of entertainment in their daily reading. We don't get paid for this stuff. Watch The Daily Show or SNL or something and email those guys - you might even get a shout-out on national television. Oh, it seems I got a little bitchy. Sorry about that. Oh well. Sounds like someone should add a Barnes & Noble gift card or a subscription to The New York Times to their Christmas list. Merry Christmas!
Wow, sorry - I guess I still had a lot to say, haha!
ReplyDeleteBri - Your comment made me laugh so hard! Your turtle eats bananas? That is amazing! Merry Christmas to you too! :)
ReplyDeleteYou can't make everyone happy & you shouldn't. You should just focus on yourself & making yourself happy. I enjoy reading your blog every day no matter what the content may be. :)
ReplyDeleteStacie Lauren - Thank you :)
ReplyDeleteThis is such a beautiful post. I've been silently following your story for a while now, and I love the posts where you share your heart and your struggles and your faith, but I also love the posts where you just talk about daily life. Dealing with grief is such a difficult process, and it's dangerous for it to be all-consuming all the time. At some point, while you're still grieving and hurting and struggling, you start finding joy in the small pleasures of daily life, and that's amazing. We as readers are privileged to share any of the information a blogger wants to write about her personal life, and we shouldn't have any expectations about what that is. Keep living your life to the fullest, Kara, and take days off from life online. And share what you want to share with us, whatever that may be. There are many of us who will find joy in the "trivial" things with you.
ReplyDeleteThe So Called Wife - Thank you for commenting! It's so great to figure out who all the "silent followers" are :)
ReplyDeleteYou're right that grief can become a dangerous thing - I didn't want this blog to become something that steers away from its original purpose - to connect, encourage, inspire and have fun. Thank you for your encouraging words and God Bless!!
Kara,
ReplyDeleteI love your heart. For Jesus, and babies, and fashion, and food, and family, and friends....and yes, even cats...though I'm not a cat lover. It's your heart attitude that keeps me coming back. That heart is on my prayer list because one day I KNOW it's going to grow to capacity! Love you.
Nonny I love you! Thank you!!
ReplyDeleteI'm with The So-Called Wife. I don't comment very often (which I'm trying desperately to get better with), but love following your story. :)
ReplyDelete