Adventures in B-Feeding

Thursday, September 27, 2012

This is Part 1 of a little series about my experience with breastfeeding. 

Post nursing haze
I have a secret to tell you... I used to think breastfeeding was gross.

Now before you all rally to burn me at the stake, this sentiment started in my early twenties before any of my friends had children and before marriage and babies were even a thought in my head. My exposure to nursing throughout my life was very limited. I don't think I ever saw a nursing mother until college. I went to undergrad at a school that is situated in a small mountain town full of free spirits and hippies and it seemed whenever I saw a mother with her young child, I also saw her breasts. The whole movement of "natural" parenting was just a way of life there (most mom's I knew used cloth diapers, breastfed, co-slept etc) and most mothers I saw feeding their kids in public didn't use a cover or blanket. I can clearly remember seeing many a huge, stretch marked breast with an also huge, dark nipple out in the open.

And those limited experiences scarred me a little. To me, breasts had always been viewed as private, sexual objects and I was uncomfortable thinking about or seeing them in any other way. Frankly, it freaked me out.

Then my friends started having kids. Then I got married and wanted to have kids of my own. Breastfeeding still grossed me out since my breasts were only used for... ahem... other purposes, and my friends who did breastfeed told me horror stories about sore nipples and thrush and showed me pictures of them using their breast pump for the first time (horrifying). Although I wanted a baby so badly, I still couldn't imagine having my child suck liquid out of my body.

When I got pregnant, I was resigned to the fact that I would at least TRY to breastfeed my child because I knew that my milk would be the best possible nutrution I could provide (plus it's free); but I wasn't convienced that I would stick with it longer than 6 months or that I would ever enjoy it. 

I took a breastfeeding class with my friend Jessica at the local hospital when I was about 6 months pregnant (she was too - her due date was one week before mine). We watched a video of all these women showing the different kinds of nursing holds and how to get a good latch and how to take care of your nipples if they are cracked or bleeding, but all I could do was cringe watching them nurse their babies. It was boob, after boob, after boob. I think I actually broke out in hives I was so uncomfortable during the class. 

My friends kept telling me it was such a beautiful, intimate, precious act - to feed your child from your own body and the bond that would ensue because of it. As they went on and on, I nodded my head and smiled, but secretly I was still grossed out by the thought of it. 

Then my daughter was born. When they laid her naked warm body on my chest I melted into a puddle. I was instantly in love. Something in that moment changed - I felt a literal biological need to hold her and nurse her. So when the L&D nurse asked if I wanted to try to feed her, I said yes and didn't feel an ounce of anxiety about it. 

Brighton latched on immediately and as I cradled her in my arms and watched her nurse, I realized all my freaking out was silly. Breastfeeding my daughter was not gross, or uncomfortable or even weird. It was just like everyone said - it was, and still is, a beautiful and intimate and precious act.

I'll admit that I still get a little weirded out when I see someone else's boob in public (side note: mothers please cover up! there are perverts everywhere!). Maybe I was so uncomfortable because I was seeing a stranger's breast exposed in a way I wasn't used to. When my friends feed their kids in front of me it doesn't bother me in the least... but maybe I'm just used to it now and resigned to the simple fact that the female chest can be and is used for multiple reasons. ;)
I never thought I would say this: I love breastfeeding my baby.  It's been a lot of hard work, but it is absolutely worth it. I'm thankful I have the opportunity to provide this for her and to have this experience with her.

14 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Thanks for your honesty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Kara and so honest, thank you! I admit too that when I was younger I thought breastfeeding was gross, boy was I so wrong. My daughter is 15 months and I absolutely love breastfeeding her and this special bond we share, it has been an incredible journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the total opposite from this story! I grew up only knowing about nursing. (I guess I do live in a hippie liberal area, too, actually.) My sister was born when I was 11 and so I have vivid memories of my mom nursing. It was all I knew: nursing was how you feed a baby. I don't think I even knew formula so much as existed until I was much older and I never knew a single soul to use it ever. So when I was pregnant, I knew I wanted to nurse my baby and packed my bag with nursing gowns and bras and creams, etc. My breast pump was eagerly awaiting me at home. It was just...the way it was, all I knew. I'll totally admit (since we're being honest here! Ha!) that I used to look at formula feeders as lazy and selfish. I'd see someone mix a bottle of formula on TV and get repulsed, asking my husband how anyone could be so selfish and lazy. And then my son was born, I became very ill and had to be put on medications so strong that I don't remember the first couple weeks of his life in their entirety...and I was told I wouldn't be able to nurse. It was a revelation -- a huge one, this flush of "what is going on?" coming over me. I was so depressed for so long, sure I was a bad mother and others would think that I was. If anything, I took away from it that it was a realization that we, as mothers, do the best that we can and that formula feeders aren't lazy and worthless -- they're still nourishing their babies.

    Motherhood is SO weird like that, isn't it? How in an instant, everything you know and think about your life can just change?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay, what an experience that must have been for you! I'm so sorry you will ill post labor but isn't it wonderful that there is something we ube provide our children when our own milk doesn't come in or work! I'm pro feeding whatever means you have to - I might have been in the same place as there is no guarantee that bfeeding always works. Thanks for sharing your experience here!!

      Delete
  4. I really want to breastfeed, but I'm still a little nervous about it. I'm even more nervous that I wont have that special "turn-around" when the baby comes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man. You would hate me. My son is five months old and i just can't get the hang of "covering up" in public. I know I know. NOw I DISCRETELY breast feed (i.e. wear button down shirts and kinda put him in there...just can't manage the cover and always thought he was suffocating him. good thing I'm the girl who bought your cute shoes so maybe you won't hate me as much teeheeee! Anyway I distinctly remember saying time and again "Eh, if it (breast feeding) works, then great if not I'm cool with it." but i seriously would not have it any other way. I am SO glad I breast feed. It has been amazing. I actually blogged about it (sorry to pimp my blog out on yours)... http://upsanddownes.com/2012/09/02/ode-to-breast-feeding/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't hate you! :) you're trying to do it discreetly and you're right - those covers are HOT, especially in the summer! I'm talking more to the women who nurse and let it all hang out more as a "stick it to the man" kind of thing. It's an art form and I have not mastered it either! Can't wait to read your post!

      Delete
    2. I just saw this comment! Thanks you're so sweet! Ha! stick it to the man! Im just trying to keep my squirmy baby nourished lol! i remember it was SO hard in the beginning with the different holds, holding his neck, etc. MUCH easier now., I started with "football" hold and now use cradle pretty much always. i also cross my legs and use my raised knee to prop up his head. I love your posts Kara! oh and your coconuts shoes :)

      Delete
  6. I think watching my mother's experience of breastfeeding had a big positive impact on me. She had five daughters and breastfed each one for at least 18 months (and me for 2.25 years). Watching her with my little sisters, I could tell she loved it. I remember my little sister reaching her hand up for my mom to kiss while she was nursing, the image is still so vivid in my mind. I was glad that breastfeeding was a very positive experience for me too, and I nursed for 18 months (that was always my goal). Last Christmas, watching my sister-in-law breastfeed her new little one made me surprisingly jealous, it gave me a pang of missing a baby so badly. I was pregnant again within two months. Best of luck as you make the transition of going back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kara, this is a REALLY amazing post. Thank you so, so much for being so honest and brave. I feel like people who talk about breastfeeding openly either love it or hate it. It's so important for women to share ALL sides of their stories when having children. While I may not be a mother myself I respect women who are are mothers and open about their many different experiences.

    PS Little B is SUCH a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! I think it's important to show that it isn't always all kittens and roses ;)

      Hugs!!

      Delete
  8. HA! "Nursing discreetly" is no longer an option for my five month old and myself. I try so hard to cover up for myself, I don't care what others think. But my little baby loves to stick her arms up through the neck and tug on it from there, or just grab the edges and lift up! Also, WHY do companies make the covers in such loud prints? Like "OH HI I'M A LOUD PRINT NOTHINGTOSEEHERE"! There is really no subtlety left in public nursing for us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eh, I used to hate nursing in public. HATED It. Now? Please, my kid needs to eat, avert your eyes if it bothers you. :) (not directed towards you, just anyone in general who would be horrified)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was the sweetest post ever! So glad you're enjoying mommyhood :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground