I'm not into vintage....

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Some days I feel like I might be the only woman in her 20's/30's who is not into "vintage" stuff:
I don't go to thrift stores.
I don't go antiquing on the weekends.
I am not crafty and I can't sew.
I don't decorate my house with old stuff like mason jars and ceramic deer antlers and mid-century couches.
I don't buy clothes when I can't recognize the manufacturer.

If you are one of those ladies who loves vintage items, good for you. I don't think your love of blue glass, funky 70's prints, pea soup green chairs and doilies is a bad thing, it's just not MY thing. I am actually pretty impressed with people who know how to buy old stuff on the cheap and make their house, or themselves, look like an anthropologie catalog.

In fact a lot of my friends are super good at this - their homes look pretty fantastic with vintage finds (see here and here and here) and when they throw parties they tend to look like this:
Photo via Colorful Living Project (Shower thrown by Jess)
Baby Shower for Lorean (at Jessie's house with her vintage gear)
Pretty huh? It's like walking into Pinterest or something. Also, some of my friends know how to make really cool crafts with vintage stuff - like this and this and this.

But I am not really into all of that, for me, my house or my wardrobe.

I appreciate vintage things. I think, for the most part, vintage items are pretty, but the thought of having to sort through a pile of rusty keys to make a necklace makes my head ache. I don't have the patience to look at stacks of vintage fabrics because what the heck would I do with them anyways? I can't sew, and I sure as heck won't sleep on them. Most vintage clothing is made to fit women without hips and I am not stylish enough to know when to belt a sack dress and when not to. I don't think colors like moss green, tan or mustard look good on me. I think lace is overrated. I can barely use a hot glue gun. I drink out of regular clear glasses, not mason jars. Collecting tea cups and mismatched plates stresses me out. Knickknacks are annoying to dust.

Maybe all of that makes me uncool, but frankly at almost 34 years of age, cool is not a description I am aiming for anymore. Great wife, attentive mother, intelligent, loyal friend, pretty hair, not wrinkly - those are the descriptions I aim for.

Give me the smooth lines of a West Elm desk or mirror. Give me an Eames rocking chair. Give me an Ikea console. Give me bright colors like teal, coral or raspberry. I will take lucite and glass any day over rusty iron and repainted wood. I love a clean, straight line, a graphic print, brushed nickel hardware and modern light fixtures. Black and white are my decorating staples. I like minimal and streamlined clothing from places like Banana Republic, J.Crew, ASOS, H&M and Francesca's.

What can I say? I am not crafty. I don't dress like a 70's hipster. I've tried to get into thrifting, but I suck at it. I am who I am.

My name is Kara and I'm not into vintage. 

30 comments:

  1. Ha! I am totally not crafty either. Not at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was the only one! I just don't like it either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even more reason to love you. Glad I'm not the only one out there not into vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know what you mean, i love to craft and i love to watch peoples houses in vintage style but i am totally not planning to do this with my room or home...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bahahahaha! I love this and totally laughed out loud. I can totally relate. I WISH I could be more into it but the second I start driving to a thrift store with the best intentions I end up at the GAP or Fossil.
    One another note, the baby shower looks super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The baby shower was gorgeous! Totally a Pinterest worthy party. I also love the Gap.

      Delete
  6. Love this. I just thought the same thing about myself the other day. I think most vintage stuff is junk, think when people dress all vintage they look like a cartoon character, and I just prefer newer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just been laughing at my desk reading this! I AM crafty, but I am NOT vintage either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol!! You are too funny!! I have a great love for vintage, but it's come to me slowly over several years. I used to hate it, but it has grown on me. I'd describe my house as a mix of vintage and modern...I have a refinished dresser from Goodwill, lots of spray painted antique frames, but also have an entire bedroom set for my master bedroom that is brand new from AFW. I have beautiful tan couches and gold studs and a brand-new Granite composite sink. I like to "think" I am crafty, but in all reality, lots of my vintage finds or refinished pieces have come about with the help of my mom. Maybe a love of vintage will come to you in time, OR mate you'll love modern, clean, and new forever! Either way is totally okay, as long as you're being true to who you are and what you love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyssa. I definitely appreciate people who are into vintage stuff and thrifting, it's just not my style and I doubt it ever will be. I'm old and stuck in my ways ;)

      Delete
  9. I love this post and have been thinking about things like this a lot lately. While I actually like thrift shopping and repainting furniture- it just doesn't fit my lifestyle since becoming a mom. And major applause to those moms who figure out how to do it all during nap time! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just slow clapped....ha!! I feel the same way, I appreciate the look, but just cant pull any of it off. However, I do wish I was more crafty and was able to come up with neat ideas. Thanks for the great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow clapped! I love it. I wish I was more crafty too, but alas my gifts are devoted to other things like cooking and writing. I'll keep letting my friends make cool stuff for me ;)

      Delete
  11. ME TOOO! Love the honesty in this post. I'm not vintage either. I buy things that I like (minimal, classic) and don't make my clothes. Lately I've been spending MORE on timeless pieces of clothing. I probably will never have mismatched plates, a knitted scarf, or thrifted outfits but I'm also okay with that. I give crafty ladies MAD props.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never commented before. I am into all this stuf but I thought this was hilariously funny and brutally honest! Love it! Good for you for knowing exactly who you are and being true to yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I laughed like, fifteen times at this entry. High five.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ha ha Kara! This is so me!! Now I don't feel so old and alone ;)
    :) Katrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not old OR alone Kat ;) We are totally in this together haha

      Delete
  15. This is awesome, because I'm not either. I'm crafty, so that's fun I guess. My whole house came from Ikea and Target. And let's not talk about my lack of style. But yeah, if it's not done right, "vintage" is just a synonym for "dusty clutter" and that's never fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. Well Charis, I appreciate that you are one of my cool friends who can pull this off in their house and style :)

      Delete
  17. Yes! Thank goodness, I felt like I was the only one!! I love the way all that looks, but I just can't pull it altogether like that, or spend hours looking for those pieces, crafting, etc. Nor could I dress like that, I'd feel not myself! I guess a little variety is a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just lol'ed! More power to you for owning it! P.S. your hair rocks big time! 😏

    ReplyDelete
  19. love it! thought i was the only one on the planet not into vintage

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love vintage, but I just don't understand the greatness of Mason jars.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha, I love this post! I'm definitely on the same page as you are. I'm 28 and I like spending the weekends at home with my husband and/or friends, reading books and playing video games. To me, Pinterest is for recipes, not crafting. I don't have a crafting bone in my body. Vintage is very lovely, of course, but the most vintage thing I own in my original iPhone and I think that's saying something!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This post made me feel better about myself, lol ;P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground