When I was 7 years old, my mother, who at the time was a stay at home mom and volunteered part time at my elementary school, decided to go to cosmetology school. She wanted a job that had flexible hours but also wanted to do something fun, so she recruiter two of her friends to join her. A year later they graduated and got jobs together at a salon in our town.
My mom chose to focus on nails instead of hair (she had a bum knee and standing all day would have been tough on her). This was the mid-1980's and the trend for nails was acrylic, long and polished in the colors of bright red, hot pink or a french manicure. Shortly after she started her new job, the first version of nail art came out - it was like tiny puffy paint for nails. I remember her creating designs like a Thanksgiving cornucopia, a Hanukkah menorah, or Valentine hearts for her clients. She was ahead of her time.
A few days a week after school I would hang out at the salon, either in the back lounge where the other employees ate a late lunch, smoked or gossiped; or in the front waiting area where the beauty magazines were laid out like a fan on the glass and gold coffee table. Sometimes I would pretend I was one of the clients and practice crossing my legs at the knee and wave my hands around like the ladies did in hopes to dry their nails more quickly. Sometimes if a client was late, or business was slow, one of the hairdressers would pull me into their chair and practice a french braid or an updo and the other ladies would smile at me, ask about school, or try to talk me into getting a spiral perm. Once every few weeks, my mother would file my nails short and square, put paraffin wax on my hands, then let me pick one of the pale pink colors so she could polish my nails to a high sheen.
![]() |
| My glamorous mom and me circa 1979 |
So over the next few months I am going to share everything that she and her salon co-workers taught me over the years. Some of the tips you have probably heard before, but some might be new! Hopefully this will be a fun little series ;)

Oh my gosh, I love this intro to your upcoming post. So sweet and personal.
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet description of growing up at your mom's salon! Look forward to reading. I love the picture!
ReplyDeleteBrighton resembles you as a baby quite a bit!
ReplyDeletesounds fun! brighton does look a lot like you!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait, sounds fantastic!
ReplyDeleteI love this picture, so cute!
ReplyDeleteWonderful post! Sounds like great memories! And wow, Brighton looks like you!
ReplyDeleteWonderful post! Sounds like great memories! And wow, Brighton looks like you!
ReplyDeleteWhat great memories! How fun!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for this series!
ReplyDeleteAlso - I can't get over how much Brighton looks like you as a baby!! WOW!
I featured you today on my 13 Blogs to read in 2013!
ReplyDeleteFeel free to check it out- http://kaitybest.blogspot.com/2013/01/13-bloggers-to-read-in-2013-part-two.html
Lots of love to you :)
That picture of you looks so much like Brighton!!
ReplyDeleteQuestion- if you have long hair, what's the best thing to do with it at night when you sleep? Put it in a ponytail or leave it loose? Also, I need some type of barrette to pull my bangs back sometimes, but those bendy ones that pop seem to break off hair. Is there something better?
ReplyDeleteLisa, I tend to wrap it in a loose bun so it doesn't get frizzy. I used to use these fabric covered bobby pins that you can find at Sally's Beauty Supply - they make them in cute colors OR in a color close to your hair color so they seem invisible. :)
Delete