I have been breastfeeding for almost 6 months! That feels like a huge accomplishment, at least for me. I have a tendency to get lazy with something so routine (hence me never, ever being able to stick with a diet or exercise program in my history as an adult). Anyhoo - 6 months! I feel like I learn something new each week. Here are a few more realizations about this process:
They get faster
Other mothers said that the nursing sessions would get shorter, and they were right! The time suckage I complained about in this post is no longer an issue. Brighton nurses in about 6-7 minutes flat. It is so nice to know I can easily nurse her in a pinch and not have to allocate at least 30 minutes to sitting down.
Pumping Sucks
There I said it. I hate pumping. I do it because I love my daughter and I want to provide her with breastmilk until she is at least 1 year old. Maybe that is an unrealistic goal, maybe I will end up eating crow in a few months on this, but it's my goal. 12 months of mama's milk.
I started pumping and creating a freezer stash when Brighton was 3 weeks old. I used for date nights or when we are going someplace where it will be hard to nurse in public, but I kept most of it for when I went back to work.
I pumped every night right before bed for 2 months leading up to this week. I now pump 3 times during the day for 20 minutes and another 20 minute session at 10pm. I use the milk I pump daily the next day and if I don't produce enough, I go into the freezer stash.
But I hate pumping. I hate gathering my bag full of bottles and the little cooler that comes with it and sitting in a locked conference room at work with that machine hooked up to me. I try to do all the things my lactation consultant told me to do to make the time go by easier - look at pictures and videos of my baby, drink a full glass of water, eat a snack and don't look down at the bottles until I'm totally done otherwise I'll stress myself out over my supply.
But I always stress about my supply. And I feel like a cow hooked up to a machine. I think pumping sucks.
Kids are weird and sweet
Brighton went through a really annoying phase where she was super distracted while nursing. She'd stop halfway through and start giggling, or rear her head back to look at something. Now she can nurse and look around at things without losing total focus on the task at hand, but she has replaced her distraction with something else:
That kid loves to take my shirt and pull it over her face while she nurses. Then pull it away, then pull it back. It's like a weird twitch. And if she can't grab ahold of a shirt, she will knead my boob. Yep, just like a kitten kneads his cat mama, her tiny hand pushes down on my chest over and over again. It is the weirdest thing.
Even though Brighton acts like a weirdo, she does the sweetest stuff too. She has gotten into the habit of reaching up to my face, placing her hand on my cheek and patting it while she nurses. Sometimes she reaches up and puts her hand on my mouth so I'll grab it and kiss it. And she always ends the nursing session with a big sigh and a smile. She's so cute!
I'll keep posting as I learn more about this whole mystery of breastfeeding. Any advice you'd give on pumping? Any stories you'd like to share? I'd love to hear from you!

That is so precious. My son is going through a distracted stage too. He kicks at me, and arches his head back so he can see what is going on. It's like this: Nurse, unlatch, look around, nurse, break off, laugh/smile, kick, latch on, nurse, break off, raises his eyebrow, nurse, breaks off, points at the cat, nurses.........you get the idea. LOL
ReplyDeleteOh I do! Sounds exactly like what B used to do. It passes, I promise!
DeleteTo save time, you can refrigerate your pump parts between sessions and wash at the end of the day. I didn't like the feeling of using cold shields but it does save time.
ReplyDeleteHang in there! I just quit pumping after 12 months (well, 9 months pumping at work). I did 3x per day, then at 9 months cut back to 2x then at 11 months, 1x. I'm still nursing AM and PM so we'll see how long we'll make it.
You're doing a great job providing for Baby B!
Great tip about refrigerating the parts. Thank you!
DeleteCongrats on making it to 6 months! That's a huge accomplishment:) I've been at it for almost 8 months and have to pump while I'm at work...and I swear I want to light that thing on fire almost everyday. Pumping definitely sucks!
ReplyDeleteI love how you call Brighton a "weirdo"!! My daughter was obsessed with tugging on my camisole straps while she nursed ... She just weaned last week at 15 months!
ReplyDeletePumping is truly the worst! I used to pass the time by reading baby blogs like yours... Haha.
Mother of the year, right? I probably shouldn't have called her that, but the behavior is strange. ;)
DeleteI think all babies have these funny little quirks, but people don't really talk about it, so no one really knows. As far as the boob kneading goes, I'm on baby #2 breastfeeding and I just found out that they do that to regulate the flow. Nursed my first for 14 months, and now and at 8 months with my second and just recently found that out. Kneading can cause a new letdown for them, or slightly increase the speed. So can unlatching and relatching. Don't know how they know that, but they do. And it does. Thanks for your transparency. It's encouraging!
ReplyDeleteWOW! I had no idea. What an amazing innate quality kids have.
Delete6-7 minutes? Thats Awesome! Tindra is still a slow nurser at almost 10 months. But she used to nurse almost an hour (every 2.5 hrs on the dot) and now she's about 15-20 minutes. Sometimes she will just snack for a few minutes, but if she does I'll be feeding her within an hour. I just stopped pumping at night a few weeks ago. Ah how freeing it is! Keep up the good work mamma- it's HARD! But so worth it
ReplyDeleteCongrats on getting to six months! My girl is currently going through that super distracted nurser stage now, at four months. I SAH but wish I would motivate myself to pump more because it would be nice to have on hand for a date night but MAN pumping STINKS!
ReplyDeleteAnyhow, your breastfeeding post inspired me to do one of my own! I hope you check it out.
http://apeachykindoflove.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-few-notes-on-breastfeeding.html
Going back to work at first after maternity leave is so very hard. I really feel for you. What I discovered that helped me was reading during my pumping sessions. After my son arrived I hadn't picked up a novel but pumping gave me an excuse to start back up again and I began to really enjoy the break during work, especially if it was a good book. By pumping I was able to keep up our nursing relationship while at home and it made the transition so much easier...on both of us. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on 6 months!! I have been exclusively pumping since Clara was 3.5 months (she just turned 9 months) so I know how annoying it can be to pump. I guess I have just gotten used to it and now can pump a bottle pretty fast (so thankful!). I usually don't play on my phone (check Instagram, email, Pinterest or whatever) unless I am pumping. Makes the time go by faster. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteAdorable. Congratulations on making it 6 months! Just think of all the amazing antibodies you're providing for her... breastfeeding is so rad. Props to you for pumping at work, it sounds like you're doing a great job through this transition period! You rock mama.
ReplyDeleteUgh. Pumping by itself is misery. Pumping at work is even worse! You aren't alone-- I hate it also! I do not understand how moms can exclusively pump for an extended period... they get major props from me! I also totally echo all of your BF pros... the speed, the convenience, the content grins. :) Bliss!
ReplyDeletepumping does suck - i feel you. i'm an exclusive pumper and i hate it so much. but 8 months and counting! trying to hold on.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the encouragement!!!
ReplyDeleteI just read all of your breastfeeding posts -- great stuff, and good to know, since you guys are about three months ahead of me. I am so happy I've been able to nurse Livvy; I, too, am going to try to hang in there until 12 months or so. Most days I really enjoy nursing, but sometimes I just want her off. I applaud you for pumping at at work (and at home, too!) That must blow.
ReplyDelete