My love affair with beauty started as a young child sitting in my
mother's salon all those afternoons. I wanted to share the best
tips/tricks I have learned from my mom and her salon co-workers over the
course of many years. Some you might have heard these before and others
might be new to you*. (I'm sure most of them can be found on Pinterest
or in a beauty magazine - nonetheless, I still wanted to share them!)
![]() |
| Styling my awesome mullet perm circa 1988. And yes I am wearing a sequined belt and an oversized turquoise letter jacket. It was the 80's! |
- Don't dry your hair in a hot, steamy bathroom - it's the same as trying to dry your hair in a rainforest. It will be frizzy and poofy.
- If you apply any product to your wet hair (mousse, gel, heat protecting spray etc), let it set for a few minutes before you start to dry it. It will help your hair absorb the product fully.
- When you dry your hair, use the attachment nozzle on your hairdryer - it helps direct the air to where you want it and can eliminate frizz.
- "Setting" your hair makes all the difference. If you are blowing it out, use a round brush to dry your hair in sections - start at the roots and dry down to the ends, then hold the brush at the tips for 5-10 seconds to let it cool (or use the cool setting on your hair dryer and blast the ends). This will "set" the style and keep your hair smooth. If you are curling your hair, spray a little hairspray on each section before you curl it with the curling or flat iron, then wrap the curl around a velcro roller or pin to your head and let it cool.
- To give your hair volume, use velcro rollers after you dry your hair, rolling the middle of your hair back away from your face (like a mohawk) and the sides facing down. Spritz with hairspray and let your hair "set" for 20 minutes.
- Baby powder (the poor woman's dry shampoo) can be used before your hair is greasy. Tap a little around your hairline to prevent sweat and dirt to collect on your hair. It can also give you extra volume.
- If your hair has static, run a dryer sheet over it lightly.
- If your hair is frizzy, a little hand lotion works as a smoother.
- Finally if you're having a bad hair day, apply some lipstick and smile. No one will notice your hair. *Disclaimer: I will only share the tips/tricks that I have actually tried and deem successful.

Great tips! I never thought about not blow drying in my post-shower bathroom. That makes sense though!! Thanks for these great tips:)
ReplyDeleteIt really is life changing!
DeleteOh my gosh, you're brilliant. If you haven't already, would you do a post in this series on what products/tolls you use for beauty (hair and makeup)? :)
ReplyDeleteI'd love to! More to come soon!
DeleteI agree with Jessica. Drying my hair in a different place may just change my life! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI have basically given up blow-drying because of the chronic frizz, but I'll have to try some of these out for rushed mornings! The thought of sleek, blown-out locks is too tempting. I second Alyssa on a hair product post!
ReplyDeleteI love the last tip! So cute!
ReplyDelete