Today marks 8 years of marriage to my better half. In honor of him, I've written a little love letter.
![]() |
| The night we got engaged - August 2004 |
I love you. Our story has had it's easy days and hard moments, but the hardness has never been about us - it has always been us versus whatever came our way. And we made it through to the other side. All our struggles, whether it be money troubles, or our forever-being-remodeled house, or infertility, or drama from the people in our life, pushed us closer together. We became a real team and I am really, truly honored to have you permanently in my corner, and me in yours.
I cannot imagine building a life with anyone else. We have had so much fun this past almost decade. You have made me desire adventure more than I imagined. I am more willing to take risks and chances and actually pursue our dreams because of you. Your ambition and drive combined with your level head make it easy to say yes to your ideas. I always laugh when either of us starts a conversation with, "So I have an idea..." I feel free to dream big with you. On the other hand, we have grown into real adulthood together. We have learned to make the hard choices, the right choices, even when they are the opposite of what we really want to do. I know that there are times when we both want to bang our heads against the wall due to the heaviness of all our responsibility, but we keep doing what we have to. We have leaned to work hard so we can play hard. I am glad we learned that lesson early on.
Watching you become a father has been precious. Loving you was always easy, but watching you love our daughter has made me fall in love with you in such a different way. I am so blessed to have you as my partner and as the father of my child. Brighton is a lucky little girl to have a daddy in you.
Matthew, you been a huge part of my much needed transformation. When I met you I was a self-absorbed, prideful, silly, highly extroverted girl with a penchant for being afraid of the unknown. I cannot say I have been totally changed - I still struggle with being selfish and prideful and too opinionated - but I fully see myself now and that is part of the needed change. Marriage is a mirror and you held it up for me patiently, always looking at me with grace and love and kindness. You saw my mess and you loved me anyways. And you choose to love me every day even when I don't make it easy for you.
Marriage is very different than what I imagined it to be. It's hard work that never ends, but the rewards are immeasurable. I love being your wife and I am glad you are my husband.
Matthew - I love you and I choose you - now, eight years from now, eighty-eight years from now. Happy Anniversary my love.

Wow this is such a sweet letter! Happy 8 years!! :)
ReplyDeleteSo sweet! Happy Anniversary!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing this! I am marrying the love of my life in July, and we are continually getting warnings about how hard marriage is. "Good, but hard." Definitely an encouragement to read that you are still crazy about your man eight years later, and that you are more together than ever. Happy Anniversary!
ReplyDelete