The perfect grey

Monday, October 21, 2013

I love house renovation/decoration before and afters and I loved that when we bought our house it was a blank slate with so many required updates – the windows, doors, floors, trim, kitchen and bathroom have all been changed and updated in the course of the last 5 years. But we have not done any renovations or changes, save the addition of two plastic all-season adorandick chairs and an outdoor rug to our little side porch.

I’m itching for change. Namely, to change my living room wall color.

I loved it at first. It went from this weird creamy tan color that looked pink in the sunlight and mocha at night, to a beautiful bright Carolina blue. I say Carolina blue because it really is the official jersey color of UNC-Chapel Hill (aka: The REAL Carolina). It is Matt’s favorite color and I wanted something bright to liven up the room. We had light tan couches and light tan roman shades and white furniture, and the color made the room feel so happy. I had brightly colored throw pillows and paintings and picture frames to add some more punch.

Then I got tired of it this past spring. I bought new throw pillow covers in navy and coral, painted all the picture frames white and changed out my lamps. The blue walls just don’t fit anymore. I want something more neutral again, more grown up. I’m leaning towards grey. (Yep, our bedroom and Brighton’s room are grey too, but I love it. I just can’t go with white walls, it feels too stark and Scandavian for me.)

So here I am, wanting to paint 400+ square feet of space as the weather cools and I have a small child who never sits still. I am crazy like that.

Here are the colors I think would work in the space with our furniture. Which one do you like?

Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter

Farrow & Ball Calluna Grey
Sherwin Williams Sea Salt

9 comments:

  1. We have most of our rooms painted in edge comb gray by Benjamin Moore. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rievere pewter (sorry not sure of the spelling there) But this colour is AMAZING. I just did a feature wall in our baby room in it and my super talented interior designer mom uses it in so many different homes, restaurants and places. It would be great with your furniture too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. revere looks more beige warm toned and the sea salt looks more cool/blue toned but thats based on computer interpretation. it looks completely different on the wall and you'd be REALLY surprised at just how blue or yellow one color looks on a whole wall. I thought ours was a pretty light neutral grey but it looks almost french blue once it was painted on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of months ago now they found mold in our walls (yay Florida) and we had to have our entire interior torn down and rebuilt. It sucked as much as it sounds like -- with one perk: new walls. And new paint! Our house was a beige-y color we LOVED when we bought our house, it was warm and then suddenly just got old. And boring. So my interior designer friend (because I SUCK at this stuff, please believe) recommended gray. And we LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

    It's basically the same as the first one you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have revere pewter in our whole downstairs and LOVE IT. it goes on a warm tannish and you think "hey this is NOT what I wanted" then it dries...oh it is so wonderful. Light grey with no bluishness that many greys have. I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our whole upstairs is grey and I love it. Our colors are Sherwin Williams' "Online" and "Gauntlet" greys. Be careful, greys have a tendency to take on other hues (brown, blue, purple) depending on lighting and surroundings -- I learned this the hard way when we bought a bunch of paint WITHOUT testing the color on the wall... Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I love the blue :) you have great taste, even if you feel like you're over it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love any of the colours you picked. In our house (the entrance/kitchen/dining/living room area) we have Benjamin Moore Amherst Gray, which is a really dark grey, but we LOVE it!! In our bathroom we have Benjamin Moore Boothbay Gray which we chose because it actually looks blue - when you see the chip it looks like a light grey, but on the walls it looks like pale blue. Our bathroom is "beachy" - lots of whites with light grey tile floor - so the pale grey/blue is perfect. I would say it resembles your last one the most, so that's my pick!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground