The imperfect life

Tuesday, November 12, 2013


Have you read my friend Rachael’s post “know it, work it, embrace it”? It was incredibly inspiring and it led me to really think through who I am, where I am strong, and where I can use some work. I think blogging (and social media) in general can lead us to believe that people have these carefree, fun-filled,  and beautiful lives. I think we all know it's not true, but it's easy to get caught up in the seemingly perfect pictures and captions and tweets and posts.

I hope that I have never given the impression that things are always fun or beautiful or easy; my life has it's good moments and it's not so good moments. So this is me - knowing, working and embracing where I am right now:

My name is Kara and I am very organized. I am incredibly loyal to my friends and family. I tend to never leave the home without mascara and lipstick on. I am diligent about giving people my time, energy or money when they need it. I bake a great apple pie, can whip up a tasty dinner in a pinch, and can “Mary Poppins” my house in about 30 minutes. My wardrobe is decent and I know how to make my hair look however I want. I am good at my job, writing, encouraging, and budgeting. I am an attentive parent to Brighton. I believe that God is good all the time.

When my temper flares I have no verbal filter and tend to say things I regret. I avoid unloading the dishwasher if I know everything in it is clean. I am impatient more often than I’m patient. I have a problem with authority. I’m judgmental of people who tend to have paranoia or are into conspiracy theories about vaccines and the government. I watch too much television. I hoard magazines, lipsticks and receipts. I am prone to seasonal depression and withdraw from the world when things get too hard. I let my child go to bed with ketchup stains on her face or dirt under her fingernails. I pick at my cuticles all day long. My faith is shaky when bad things happen to the people I love. 

This is me. Now how about you?

7 comments:

  1. I am Cary... I am nice. I am SO nice. I have a good heart. I wish I could help everyone. I drink LOTS of water. I am somewhat pretty. I am creative. I am smart. I am a good mom and wife. I am a good friend. I like random acts of kindness. I eat healthy, and I workout. I am ambitious. I have good fashion. I am good with directions and maps. I am great in most social situations. I go with the flow. I am a good listener. I love God.

    I. HATE. CLEANING. My house is a wreck 80% of the time. There are many days that I don't shower and put baby powder in my hair to prevent grease, lol! I sometimes accidentally let people run over me. I judge people silently (while smiling and being nice to them). I come up with great ideas, and then don't always execute them. I run late to work pretty much every day. I am the worst procrastinator ever (or would that be the best?) I care too much about what people think. I pick at my cuticles all day long too! I only go to church on Christmas and Easter. I cuss a lot. I play on my phone too much. I am not a good cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kara,

    I really liked reading this post. Contrary to many blogeers, you tend to say the truth and you don"t pretend everything is always good. Your "on my hear" posts are my favourites because you get so honest and honesty is a gift in this "quest-for-perfection' society.

    Hello, I am Laurence,

    I love my friends and family. I love what I do. I always put people first and love sharing. I adore oing to museums and reading. I love Paris, my hometown and meeting new people. English is my passion and thats no secret.

    I am also very impatient, don't ring my mum often enough. Sometimes I am crual with myself because I hate my body. I spend too much time reading blogs. When I am exhausted, I defrost ready-made meals for my family and even feel sorry about that. and so on and so forth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Angela.

    I am organized and keep a neat house. I am a great Nonny. I almost always keep my laundry caught up and I am good at staying in touch with people. I love Jesus, my husband and family.

    I worry too much. I spend way too much time on the computer and not near as much time in God's word. I also judge silently those who choose not to vaccinate (and their reasons). I drink way too many diet cokes. And, I hibernate when the time changes. I DETEST early nightfall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post and love you! My name is Olivia. I am neat, organized, and a very hard worker. I am a good cook with a seriously green thumb. My home is usually very clean regardless of the fact that I work full time and have three kids. I love my friends and family more than anything.

    I procrastinate on things I sometimes shouldn't, forget to put bills in the mailbox, never remember anyone's birthday, forget to send thank you cards, and I cuss too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi kara!
    my name is stephanie. i am a first time mama to a 13 month old little boy. i am a creative person who is so good at art and crafting. i am also a CT tech part time at a hospital, and i am very good at my job (i only work a couple days a month). i can cook and bake anything and i love doing it. my little man is the apple of my eye and gets all of my attention.

    i am so bad at keeping in touch with my closest friends. i stay in pj's all day long and so does the kid. i hate putting clothes away, i have folded piles in my bedroom from months ago. i have a temper and i am impatient. i hate my post partum body, and can not seem to get motivated to do something about it. and my floors need cleaned.

    thank you for being so honest, kara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so refreshing! I agree with you on the whole ide about social media creating a sense of perfect life .... Only seeing things through snapshots can be deceiving. Anywho- here's my 2 cents:
    My name is Jessica. I am a wife to Shelby and mom to 15month old Declan. I struggle still with losing preggo weight. Currently I read my bible now more than I have in the last 5 years. I think I am little too controlling. I talk to or see my mother almost everyday, she is one of my best friends. I don't pray as much as I would like to. My faith falters at times but I am learning that Jesus is my rock. I desperately want to reach the women I work with the love of Jesus. I don't make my bed everyday and my closet/bathroom are a wreck-always. As a general rule, I dislike money, for its sometimes negative influence. I try to be generous with my time in serving others, but then it takes me months to finish a home project. Go figure. That's reality I suppose!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I like your blog because I think you show that it isn't always rosy and wonderful :-)

    My name is Sara. I am the mother to a six-month-old boy named Luke. I have two dogs and three cats that I love--but drive me nuts at the same time. Sometimes I feel like we neglect them a little since the baby was born, but we're trying to do our best. I have a great husband. Sometimes I can get testy with him or naggy and I wish I didn't do that. Sure he isn't perfect--but who is? Certainly not me. I think I do a good job at work. I wish I did a better job of keeping the house clean. At least we're always clean--me, my husband and my son. I think I'm a decent daughter. I try hard. I love hard. I care too much. I worry too much. I try to always be myself. I think I cook decently. I wish we went to church more often (we haven't gone since Luke was born! Eeek! well we went for his baptism.) I know we will get back there soon! I still volunteer some at church but wish I had time to volunteer more. I'm trying to exercise again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground