I have not forgotten you...

Tuesday, May 19, 2015


...I’ve just been crazy busy the last two months with long work days, freelance projects and lots of obligations at home. We just finished building a new front porch and a back deck, and landscaping the yard has occupied more of my time than I could have imagined. We went to Asheville for a baby shower. I worked out of our New York office for a week. We took a long weekend in NYC as a family. We hosted a last minute dinner for friends who adopted a baby. There were birthday parties and holidays and cookouts with friends. We had life to live and enjoy and you, my little blog, became last on the list of priorities.

I think you can understand.

It’s not that I don’t love you my dear blog, because I do, it’s just that the relationship has changed over the last 5 years. Life feels normal-ish now and busy with the right kinds of things. My focus has changed. I loved the early days of writing here when it was all about decorating a nursery, learning about breastfeeding and cloth diapering. When connecting with other women who were adopting, or dealing with the struggle of infertility, or new moms, or even just readers who were interested in reading our story, made this all mean something.

But now there is less to update on that front. Life is a little more stable in regards to trying to make babies (we're not), adopt (we're not) and keeping a child alive and happy (still learning this). Raising a kid is very different than taking care of an infant, but some of those complexities and complications are things I don’t want to document here. I feel very compelled to protect my daughter’s privacy as she learns and stretches and grows into childhood. I think I had a tendency to over share things when it had to do with me because it was MY life and MY choice to share it, but my daughter does not understand social media and cannot understand how things online are truly permanent so I have to make the right choice for her. And that choice is to start keeping things like how we handle tantrums or potty training or just the complexities of childhood, a little more private. 

I also feel like the realm of social media has changed. We take in the world 140 characters at a time. We read in headlines and blogging is the opposite of that. There is not a strong appetite in me to write here in long form on a consistent basis anymore. It feels like the end of an era for me and you.

So what I am trying to say is, it’s not you, it’s me. I love you, my dear blog of mine, but I can’t keep the same level of commitment anymore. We aren’t breaking up, but we are taking a breather. I will be back to post things like before and afters of our home renovations, random updates on my life, links to love or cute photos from a vacation, but that's about it. And it won't be every week… it might be 1 time a month, maybe more, maybe less.  I can't commit. 

It's not goodbye, it's just... I'll see you when I see you. 

2 comments:

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground