The process, at times, feels like it will never end. At least the paperwork.
We had our last home study visit on Tuesday evening and reviewed the paperwork and report. Our social worker is going to send a draft of the report so we can make any corrections if needed, and then it's off to the agency. We are almost done with our Family Profile, which includes pictures and mini-essays about our life. I wrote four of the mini-essays on Friday night while Matt did school work. It felt a little weird typing up all that information in the vein of style they ask you to - it's not like you're selling yourself, but you're trying to sound upbeat and positive the entire time. I am fairly good at writing (given it's what I have a master's in), but that was a totally new style for me and frankly, I stink at it! It's exhausting! Just a few more mini-essays, the birthmother letter and then we can send the CD of our 50 pictures to the agency. Once we do that, we pay our activation fee and wait for the FBI clearance to come in - that can take 8-11 weeks and since I mailed it in mid-June, the earliest it could come in was this week, and the latest is the end of the month. Then we become a waiting family. It's closer than I thought it would be. I'm getting nervous!
Another wonderful family presented us with a generous donation this week. I cannot get over the love that is being poured out to our sweet unknown Baby M! I was at another baby shower this weekend for a dear friend and watching her open the piles of gifts sent me into a little tailspin - that is going to be me someday, and that day might be sooner than later. I don't feel prepared. (Does anyone?)
We bought a crib today. I was given a great coupon so it was a good time to use it! It's still in the box, and will stay like that for quite some time until we paint the room, paint the dresser and we also need a mattress. One thing at a time, right? Matt and I did go look at car seats and strollers - we had our first debate on baby gear. He likes those enormous travel-system strollers that can hold the car seat when the baby is still little and then it can hold the child once they can sit up on their own. I would rather have just a car seat and one of those light-weight strollers you sit the car seat in, and then buy another light weight stroller later when we need it. The idea of that big travel system in my trunk, trying to get it in and out, makes my arms ache just looking at it! I think we have some more research to do ;)
Next post - nursery decor ideas. I call them "idea boards". It'll be fun.
Love to you all.
-Kara
what an exciting time! thanks for keeping us updated.
ReplyDeleteSo exciting - and I'm with you on keeping the stroller thing light! ;o)
ReplyDeleteI get this strange and amazing feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think of seeing Baby M for the first time. As I talk with others who are Aunts or Uncles, I imagine myself feeling the way they do... like that little niece or nephew is part of them. Baby M will be part of me because s/he will be part of my family. I can't wait to see how this journey of bringing Baby M home unfolds. I can't wait to hold and to love Baby M as my own. (that might sound weird or possessive to some, but I just know that baby is part of our family and is/will be loved as such)
ReplyDelete