Registry

Monday, December 20, 2010

This past weekend was just wonderful. Friday, I got home from work around 5:30 or so, made some yummy dinner - Mexican lasagna with chicken, sweet corn, roasted orange pepper, black beans and rice - watched the news, some reruns of How I Met Your Mother (I really like that show!) and then went to Red Box to rent a movie. We saw Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - have you seen it? What a great soundtrack - the first thing I notice about a movie is the music.

We went to bed pretty late Friday so I slept in and we spend Saturday together, which is such a treat. Most weekends we are both so busy with commitments and work and other people that we don't spend a lot of quality time with one another. We ate lunch (well I had breakfast since I woke up at 11am!) and headed to finish some Christmas shopping and register for baby stuff!

I know every parent to be says this, but
baby stores are overwhelming! There is so much to choose from, so many gadgets to use, so many brands that claim they are #1 in whatever they specialize in. I started our registry online to save us some time, and once we picked up the scanning gun, we started right in on some more basics - bottles, bibs, health stuff like a thermometer, nail clippers, a nose thingy (I don't know the name for it - it sucks snot out of the kid's nose), a pack and play, diaper genie, crib sheets, blankets, swaddlers and onesies. But it still took about an hour and a half to get through the store! Thankfully, Matt is a patient man and I gave him the scan gun so he could have at least a little fun ;)

It was fun picking out gear for Baby M, and also watching all the other expectant parents in the store - although they were all pregnant, and we were the only ones who weren't. And maybe I am more sensitive to this than most, but I noticed the other mommies to be looking at me to see how far along I was. The women would look directly at my stomach, which by pregnancy standards is flat (by skinny girl standards, I have a little work to do!) and then look up at me, then back to my stomach. People are naturally curious, and I'll admit I looked at each woman and their growing bump too. If I noticed them looking, I tried to catch their eye, smile, nod my head and then move on, but it still made me a little, well to be totally honest, self-conscious and a little annoyed.Even the female employee at the registry table looked at my stomach when we checked out the scan gun. It makes me want to graciously remind others that not all become parents through pregnancy. But I digress...

We spent the rest of the day watching the UNC vs. Texas basketball game (sadly, they lost), eating some yummy Maggiano's that Matt's brother Andrew brought over, wrapping Christmas presents and relaxing. And looking at our tree:

Sunday we went to church and Matt dressed up! So many people commented on how good he looked - they were right! He wore a button down shirt, tie and sport coat with dark jeans and his Nike high tops. Oh and he's sporting a shorter haircut too!
Matt and our "nephew" Hudson. Handsome boys! Forgive the quality - I used my iPhone.

After church we ate some yummy leftovers and then my mom came by to see the nursery and give me some of my old baby stuff. Then I finished Christmas shopping, ran some errands and we settled in for some roasted red pepper pasta and Inception. (Of course that night I dreamed about dreaming.) Oh and I also got to talk to my darling friend Mary Stu for the first time in forever and hear about her wonderful life. I just love that girl!

That's Stu on the left and Crystal, on the right.
And just for fun, here is an old school picture of us (I think we were all around 20 or so). Babies!

And one more thing - this past week we received three additional monetary donations - two from my old roommates (one from college, one from post-college) and another from a darling couple from our church. To date, that is $11,183 donated towards Baby M! I am in shock!
What a wonderful and loving community our baby will have. I can't wait to tell them this story, about all those who loved them and helped make a way where there was no way before they were even knitted in the womb, when they were just a glimmer of hope in their parents' hearts.
Love, love, love.
-Kara & Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground