I'm about to embark on a product review that I know very little about, but boy do my girlfriends know their facts on this topic (I'm calling on you Rachael, Lorean, Lauren and Jessica specifically!)...
CLOTH DIAPERS!!!
I am on the fence about choosing this path for Baby M, but I want to review a few different products and get some more feedback from other cloth and non-cloth diapering mamas.
When I was young and dumb, I thought cloth diapering was for dirty hippies. My thought process was obviously not appropriate, however I had only ever seen the cloth diapers that were used in the 1960's: big, thick cream colored pieces of fabric that you attach to your child's bum with pink or blue safety pins. It just seemed outdated to me. And slightly gross too. I mean putting POOP and PEE in a washing machine with the rest of my clothes?!? No. Thank. You.
Fast forward to being less young and dumb, now with friends who have babies and covered their kid's bums with these cute, multicolored, snap/Velcro cloth diapers, and I thought, "Huh... maybe I could do that." So I started doing my research.
My friend Rachel is a cloth diapering guru. She posted an entire tutorial here on her blog when she started diapering her son. She had a party for all things "green" in the home and I got to see these tiny cloth diapers in person in Rachel's dining room. Lauren sat next to me, her tiny son in her lap, and showed me first hand how to change one of those diapers. Then at Wives Club all sorts of mamas were bringing their cloth covered kiddos around and I was starting to become a believer. I talked about it with Matt, weighed the pros and cons, asked him to have an open mind.
But then reality set in. I am not going to be staying home with Baby M (judge if you must, it's not for lack of want; it's a fiscal necessity right now) and my mother will be our primary nanny. When I started the conversation with her about cloth diapering, she gave me this look out of the corner of her eye and said with as much attitude as she could muster, "Uh-huh." (Which sounded more like "Yeah right!" or "You're crazy! with the attitude and stank eye she gave me.)
In my attempt to get heron the bandwagon, I took her to this awesome baby store called The Milky Way, which stocks every kind of cloth diaper you can imagine, and showed her how they worked, how they looked like disposable diapers, how they made a diaper sprayer that you attach to the toilet. She listened carefully, nodding her head, and didn't say a word until after I was done ranting about the benefits and cost and eco friendly features... and then she said,
"So who is going to wash and dry all these diapers? Because it won't be me."
Sigh. As a soon-to-be working mom, when am I going to have the time to wash and dry all these cloth diapers?!?! I'm rethinking this whole thing. But I digress...
This is a product review, so let's talk some product. The first cloth diaper, the one I heard about was the bumGenius All In One. Look at all those fancy features! These diapers are just like disposable - no folding the diaper or fastening closed with sharp unsafe pins, you just pop it on, and take it off when dirty (although I know some moms add another cloth insert for long naps or heavy wetters.) They are the easiest of cloth and the most expensive.
Thanks in advance you precious, wise women :)
But then reality set in. I am not going to be staying home with Baby M (judge if you must, it's not for lack of want; it's a fiscal necessity right now) and my mother will be our primary nanny. When I started the conversation with her about cloth diapering, she gave me this look out of the corner of her eye and said with as much attitude as she could muster, "Uh-huh." (Which sounded more like "Yeah right!" or "You're crazy! with the attitude and stank eye she gave me.)
In my attempt to get heron the bandwagon, I took her to this awesome baby store called The Milky Way, which stocks every kind of cloth diaper you can imagine, and showed her how they worked, how they looked like disposable diapers, how they made a diaper sprayer that you attach to the toilet. She listened carefully, nodding her head, and didn't say a word until after I was done ranting about the benefits and cost and eco friendly features... and then she said,
"So who is going to wash and dry all these diapers? Because it won't be me."
Sigh. As a soon-to-be working mom, when am I going to have the time to wash and dry all these cloth diapers?!?! I'm rethinking this whole thing. But I digress...
This is a product review, so let's talk some product. The first cloth diaper, the one I heard about was the bumGenius All In One. Look at all those fancy features! These diapers are just like disposable - no folding the diaper or fastening closed with sharp unsafe pins, you just pop it on, and take it off when dirty (although I know some moms add another cloth insert for long naps or heavy wetters.) They are the easiest of cloth and the most expensive.
![]() |
| Photo via bumGenius The other diapers I heard great things about were Flip Diapers. These diapers are a cover with a removable insert. You can reuse the cover (unless they really get it wet or poop gets on it! Pretty cool huh? But easy = pricey. Unless you buy used...yep you cloth diaper haters. Mamas buy cloth used. These puppies are expensive and you wash and disinfect before you sell. Anyhoo... The last cloth diaper I have heard great things about is by SoftBums. They are similar to Flip. Cute, pricey. You get the drift. I did a calculation (yep I'm a math whiz) - if I were to buy all new cloth diapers - enough to get me through 3 days without having to wash/dry them, consisting of a mix of all in one's for nighttime and hybrids during the day - I'd spend about $300-350. Yikes. But the average cost on disposable diapers? Could be three times as much! Double yikes. Here is a great article on cost analysis on cloth vs disposible. I'm still on the fence, so let's pose a some questions to you my dear friends, wise mamas and readers: Cloth mama's - which diapers do you prefer and why? Did it take you a while to get comfortable with the process? What was your upfront cost? Any working mom's who use cloth have advice as to how they find the time to wash/dry? Non cloth mama's - why disposable and not cloth? |



I have a co-worker who is a single mother, works full-time AND is cloth diapering:) She uses a local cloth diapering service...they pick up once a week and wash everything for her...just another option:)
ReplyDeleteyay! i love this topic. and I love cloth diapering. with that being said, i know that it is not for everyone and if you choose not to go this route, then that is perfectly fine-i'll still love you. :)
ReplyDeleteSo far I have spent a little under $200 total on diapers. I bought one pack of prefolds new and one bumgenius organic all-in-one new (but used the living social coupon). Everything else i have was either a gift or bought used. i have about 25-30 diapers, mostly pocket diapers and mostly velcro. the velcro is great for dads, babysitters, and middle of the night. but it does tend to wear out faster than snaps.
with 25-30 diapers I only do laundry every 3 days or so, so twice a week. I will say that I would not recommend that first AIO. I have a few of those and they take forever to dry and they are way more stinky than any of my other diapers. i love my bumgenius organic AIO though! http://www.bumgenius.com/organic.php
I like the pockets since you can add an insert for nighttime or traveling. Fuzzibunz are one of my favorites. I've heard Kawaii diapers are really good and cheap ($10-12 new), but haven't tried them yet.
It didn't take me long to figure it out once I just started doing it. oh and i have mostly one size diapers so they should last from birth (depending on size) to potty training (hopefully!).
my biggest recommendation is if you are going to do it, try out one of everything you can find to see what you like. also some companies have a starter pack where you get a mix of diapers and if you end up not liking it you can send them back and get most of your money back.
sorry for the novel! hope this helps!
Yes this helps Lorni. Now can you come to my house when Baby M arrives and help me set up the diaper sprayer to the toilet? ;)
ReplyDeleteJust kidding.
This is great advice!
We had planned to use G Diapers (http://www.gdiapers.com/) which are a kind of hybrid between disposable and cloth (the inserts are flushable), but Cooper was way too small for them when he was born. My hubs was already freaked out enough about everything "baby," so proposing full-on cloth diapers was a stretch. By the time Coops was big enough for the G Diapers, we were spoiled by disposables. We've talked about switching mid-stream (haha...), but just haven't taken the leap. What we have done, though, is find other ways to be environmentally responsible with our other choices (recycled baby food jars, limited clothing and toy purchases, LOTS of hand-me-downs, etc).
ReplyDeleteDisposables are definitely more expensive in the long run - Paul just bought diapers by themselves the other day (2 Pampers boxes of 68 diapers each) and it was over $40! Those two boxes will last us 5-6 weeks. So...you can do the math.
We'll likely stick it out for another year til potty-training time, but we'd definitely consider cloth diapering for any future children.
Oh, and we have some kids in the Renovatus nursery who wear cloth diapers and it hasn't been a big deal. There's normally at least one person familiar enough with the process to make it work. :)
Hey kara,
ReplyDeleteI just spend about 20-min writing a comment and my phone deletes it!! Ugg! Anyways Lorni basically said all the things I was goi g to while I was writing anyway so that's awesome. We have used cloth for both our girls now and love them!! I love this topic as well! I'm not sure of matt got a good feel for them while he was here or not cuz they were gone a lot but if Tim can do it anyone can!! We have tried a lot of brands and must say that we also love bg's AIO's (bum genius, all in ones). They are much easier for dads and mostly...my mom. Which leads me to the main thing I wanted to say. What to do about grandmas?!:
I totally know what you mean about your mom. I was using cloth when I went back to school when stori was an infant and my mom kept her for me a lot! She was reluctant at first but once she saw how easy it was she was willing to try and now she is a pro!! We worked out a system so that she didn't have to wash them. I would just send a wet bag in storis diaper bag (a breathable cloth bag you can buy at most cloth web sights). She would fold the diapers up (velco are easier for this function as well becuase they will stick to them selves like regular desposies), put them in the wet bag, and send them home for me to wash. I also had a system at home worked out so that I only had to wash once or twice a week and washed them all at once. I just had a cloth diaper pail and a large size wet bag (simple ones with just a flip top or even a trash can work with a wet bag. Or you can get one made for cloth o line as well) and pit them in it till I had time to wash them. it only takes about 15-min. For about 25 diapers. I also would say a diaper sprayer is a must for cloth diapering!! We liked the bg's for this reason as well, becuase they clean off easier then cotton becuase they are made of fleece. They also wicked water away from storis bum better then the cotton ones that require a cover. Anyway I think your mom will come around to the idea, you just have to find a system that works for you both!!
Sorry...this wouldn't fit in one comment :( I'm too wordy!
ReplyDeleteI also wanted to say that I keep a pack of natural desposies (ones without the use of bleach in the dying process!!) to use when I run our of time and didn't get to the wash, traveling or for a babysitter who can't grasp the idea!! It helps take the pressure off for me :)
resorces:
like you said, if you dotnt mind buying used, eBay is a good option. You can find people with an eBay store or even craigs list that sell new diapers they make by using the same materials and patters at bum genius, fuzzy buns and thursties! (they are all basically the same). I would Just order one first or go look at them if they are local to make sure they are quality.
The best place I have found for new bg AIO's and accessories is: www.cottonbabies.com the more you buy the better the price :)
Hope this help and is not more confusing! I rembered being overwhelmed at first.
Good luck!
I love my cloth diapers.. found your blog through top babies.. I agree 100% with Ms. L... I started at 3 mo though.. with number 2 though.. will be from birth.. I had awful issues with diaper rash on my son for the first 3 months.. so even though I had planned to use cloth and was being lazy.. i do regret not doing it from birth. it's so easy and once you do it.. you just do it. the washing is easy---I use Arm & Hammer Essentials to wash my bumgenius, fuzzi bunz, and my WAHM diapers. I love my diaper sprayer.. hubs is on board 100% and even though everyone else betted against me doing cloth.. I am sticking with it as it is the best choice for our family. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteYou know I've got a few posts on my blog about this subject, and you know I love it! Would love to be a resource however I can! Glad you're considering it.
ReplyDeleteAs a full-time working mama, I can say that cloth doesn't slow us down or hinder our lifestyle at all! My mom and mother-in-law use cloth when they watch Ames (a few times a month), but I don't ask them to do anything more than change the diaper and put the dirty one in the wetbag...exactly what they'd do if it was disposable. I also let my mom try out a few different types at my house and choose which one she preferred to use at her house.
I have a list of my favorite cloth diaper posts from a number of bloggers. Check it out here: http://thatmamagretchen.blogspot.com/p/mama-resources.html
ReplyDeleteI have loved cloth diapering - I have mostly Flips and have been really happy with them!