Hi God. It's me, Kara.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

April is National Infertility Awareness Month. Unless you've been through it yourself, infertility is hard to relate to. It's a faith-testing, heartbreaking struggle, a condition that comes with or without a diagnosis with "cures" that aren't cut and dry. Throughout the last four years, I always come back to God for some clarity, for some understanding why this is happening to me and to so many others. This was my prayer yesterday:

Hi God. It's me, Kara. I've been thinking. Maybe too much. You know what it's about, what it's always about.

Last week one of my precious friends put her arms around my neck, hugged me tight, told me quietly in my ear that she had prayed for me all week, shed tears on my behalf. As I pulled away, she looked me in the eye and said with conviction, "It's time. It's time for this baby to come." And I agreed. How could I not?

I feel the disease of impatience upon me, eating away at my sanity. How much longer do we wait? Everyone always asks, "Any news?" and then, "How long did they tell you that this process would take?" Three months. Six months. A year. Maybe more. Sometimes I'm honest and say I don't know. There is no crystal ball, for adoption, or anything else for that matter. The light goes only as far as my feet; I can't see anything past that.

People like to offer up formulas, as though my actions have anything to do with your will. Eliminate gluten and sugar, eat organic, don't eat raw foods, do yoga, don't exercise too much, take a vacation, go to a therapist, pray more, ask for healing, just relax. These pieces of advice sometimes make me want to punch someone. In the face. Hard. Can't they tell I don't need their advice or want their pity? I just want someone to say, "That sucks." and then hug me.

God, you do what you want and sometimes it just doesn't make sense to me. I'll never understand your will on this side of life, but I cannot help but try to make heads or tails of this struggle. I keep thinking that if I learn this lesson, or let you further refine me, or become enlightened due to a spiritual truth, that you'll reward me with what I want most. But that is not how you work.

This isn't really suffering. You remind me daily that it could be much worse. I could have cancer. I could be homeless. I could be swept away by a tidal wave. I know that what I feel is just an inkling of heartache, that I've just scratched the surface of it. I can sense that gooey center, the quicksand of it. Some days I am tempted to dive right in, to let myself drown in what the enemy would like for me to believe.

How is it that you tell us to be fruitful and multiply, but also say that you're the author of life? Do we have any say in this at all? How can I be obedient to you if you haven't healed me?

And how is it that sometimes it's like your voice is audible - in my own head and sometimes through the mouths of others - and sometimes all I hear is a deafening silence. I know you're still there in the quiet, but it just makes me more impatient to not hear from you when I need you the most.

How can I love and hate you at the same time? I hate you for your silence, for this life that feels so very chaotic and serene all at once, for having joy at times in the bottom of my despair, for the lightness I feel in the midst of my dark thoughts. But I also love you for all of that, the good with the bad and your will for my life, despite me thinking I know better.

And I don't know better. I thought I would at this age.

I'm not bitter, I'm just expectant. It's as though I've been crouched at the start line of a race, waiting for the gun to fire. My legs ache from waiting. My arms ache from waiting.

My heart aches from waiting.

17 comments:

  1. this breaks my heart! i'm sorry for your struggles. i don't know if this will help you any, but it is of my belief that it might just take some couples longer than others to get pregnant. i always hear stories of people getting pregnant after some time, like 4-10 years of trying. i know that is a long time. my husband's parents tried 4 years for their first had a miscarriage, then 4 years for their second - healthy girl then another 4 years for my husband. stay strong lady! your day will come for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure how I came upon your blog, but I am now a follower. Your post made me weep for the pain you feel. I was stuck at the starting line for nearly three years. Now, nearly three years later, my heart is full but it aches knowing what others are struggling with.

    What a beautiful, honest post.

    Oh, and I still want to punch some people in the face. hard. they just don't get it, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. your blog made me cry today.  i love you motts so much.  it is time.  i feel the stirring in my chest.  come Lord.  show your faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever you need someone to say, "That sucks," and hug you, I'm your girl. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't stop crying. Your words are perfect. You expressed what is in my heart as well. Different battle but the same ache. GOD, this SUCKS SO BAD! Move this mountain.
    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your honestly is painfully beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sucks. Virtual hug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kara! I am so sorry. My arms ached for a long, long time. I totally understand. Infertility does suck. It's the by far one of the most difficult experiences you and Matt will ever face. I know you are so ready for Baby M. I'm sorry you have faced this monster and still not overcome the waiting, longing and hoping piece. I pray soon you are rocking that sweet baby to sleep. Hang in there. Big hugs-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! You are much stronger than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this was touching. you are a super strong woman!! thats for sure
    -LS

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel ya, girl...but you are so much better at putting it all into words...thank you for this! I was reading, crying and nodding in agreement the whole time - love you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don’t say this enough BUT I think of you so often. Prayers do work and I will continue to lift them up. I know God listens---we don’t always understand, but He listens. I just have to believe you will be blessed. You are obedient and faithful and He will honor.

    Love to you this holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You inspire me.

    This time in your life both sucks and is beautiful. I understand this time, and now on the other side of it, I see how beautifying the process truly is to a mother's heart.

    I love you, Kara. The Lord loves you. Your forever child is coming. I know it. And they are the most perfect child that could ever be imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kara- My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 6 years. It does suck and hurts me everyday. I have good days and really bad days but I keep telling myself- "God I want what you want" but it still hurts and I don't understand -especially when it feels like EVERYONE else can get pregnant so easily. We have been trying to adopt for 2 years now- waiting and hoping - I feel numb from wanting so much and angry too sometimes that God put this desire to want a baby so much. With every breath I force myself to thank Him for all HIs gifts - especially my husband who is an angel. And you are right NO ONE can understand who has not gone through this. I will follow your blog today- with tears in my eyes you wrote what I feel. God just sent me another gift- you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lilly - I am sorry that you have been waiting for so long. I hate this struggle for you and hate that your heart is heavy with the waiting. I'll be praying for you and your baby to be.
    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground