This weekend a group of fantastic women (and me) are doing a photo shoot for the project I hinted at earlier this week. We decided to dress like ourselves (as opposed to a theme), but "super cute" and "in our style".
So of course, I immediately started to panic because I don't think I have a style. I work in a corporate job and dress up for work daily in slightly conservative clothes. Items like navy, black or grey suits with a bright colored top; or black, navy, or brown dress slacks with a shell and a cardigan; or if I'm feeling crazy, a patterned dress. My work wardrobe is nothing exciting, but I try to wear as much color up top, or funky jewelry to liven up my more boring bottom half.
So because I dress up for work daily, by the time I get home I want to put on yoga pants, a tank and a hoodie. Matt and I go out a lot during the week - either to our home group, or dinner with friends - and my dress code for those events usually look something like this:
V-neck t-shirt in grey, red, purple, brown, blue or black (I literally own this Target t-shirt in all those colors)
With skinny jeans or jeggings in a dark wash
And my Toms or a pair of flats.
BORING!
See? I do not have a style. Normally, if it's a dress up occasion - say a wedding, a Valentine's night out, etc, I will wear a cute dress, but for the rest of my life, my everyday style is a snoozefest.
I'm seriously stressing about this photoshoot this weekend.
I am not wearing my standard uniform of jeans and a t-shirt, nor am I going to wear a business suit (ahem Lorean - she keeps teasing me that I should). But what do I wear? A sundress? That is normally my summer "uniform." And if so, what color/style? I have my eye on something like this:
Do these look like "my style"? HELP!
So of course, I immediately started to panic because I don't think I have a style. I work in a corporate job and dress up for work daily in slightly conservative clothes. Items like navy, black or grey suits with a bright colored top; or black, navy, or brown dress slacks with a shell and a cardigan; or if I'm feeling crazy, a patterned dress. My work wardrobe is nothing exciting, but I try to wear as much color up top, or funky jewelry to liven up my more boring bottom half.
So because I dress up for work daily, by the time I get home I want to put on yoga pants, a tank and a hoodie. Matt and I go out a lot during the week - either to our home group, or dinner with friends - and my dress code for those events usually look something like this:
V-neck t-shirt in grey, red, purple, brown, blue or black (I literally own this Target t-shirt in all those colors)
| Image from Target.com |
| Photo via Target.com |
BORING!
See? I do not have a style. Normally, if it's a dress up occasion - say a wedding, a Valentine's night out, etc, I will wear a cute dress, but for the rest of my life, my everyday style is a snoozefest.
I'm seriously stressing about this photoshoot this weekend.
I am not wearing my standard uniform of jeans and a t-shirt, nor am I going to wear a business suit (ahem Lorean - she keeps teasing me that I should). But what do I wear? A sundress? That is normally my summer "uniform." And if so, what color/style? I have my eye on something like this:
![]() |
| Via - I actually ordered this dress with a discount and free shipping, but they were out of stock! Boo! |
![]() |
| Via |
![]() |
| Via - I have a dress sort of like this - a little longer on the legs from Ivy & Leo. |



whatever Kara...you totally have a style and always look adorable.
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way though....I pretty much wear the same thing everyday.
i love that middle dress from mod cloth! and girl, you be sexy. you have a classic-chic style and THAT IS a style.
ReplyDeleteHaha well you just described my wardrobe as well! Maybe we should submit ourselves to what not to wear. I feel like I could have an awesome "style" if Stacey and Clinton gave me $5000 to shop with in NYC. I love that second dress from modcloth. supercute
ReplyDeletei love all the dresses you posted! Kara you can pull off anything you want to wear! you just have to try it! don't stress....you're gorgeous and have an eye for cute things.....so just go with your instincts!
ReplyDeleteYikes! I am in trouble, then, because I always refer to you as my stylish friend. I seriously make a comment every morning how I wish you lived with me still so I could know what to wear!!
ReplyDeleteok, I feel the need to weigh in one this... Kara, you've so got style. I always think you look super cute. and hey, if it's skinny jeans and a tee and toms, then so be it. that's style. also, may I suggest, that your long blonde sleek locks are a definite part of your style. I especially like when you wear the middle part. most people can't pull that off:)
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with the rest (and hate that I didn't read this before the shoot to encourage you!) - I always think of you as "super cute" and having a great sense of style! Sort of upscale boho-chic. Not sloppy, but not TOO polished (I obviously don't see you at work...). And you always wear color in an unexpected way (like on your feet). I'm sure you looked great!
ReplyDeleteoooooh now you got my curiosity up... can't wait to see the pics from this shoot! whatever kara, you always look hot. wearing classic staples like a v neck tee and cute scarf or a dress with funky jewelry IS A STYLE. A personal style should exude what you feel most comfortable in, and when i think of you i always picture you in bright cheerful colors (a true reflection of your personality) and in a comfortable tee and jeans or cute summer dress. what's wrong with THAT? hopefully nothing, cuz that's my uniform too :)
ReplyDelete