Tonya

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Ever had one of those friends that you can't imagine what your life would be like without them in it?

This is Tonya. She is one of those friends.

We met in the fall of 2003. She was in nursing school with my friend Tia. Tia invited her to our girls bible study on the one night we were watching Friends instead of studying the bible. We got to know her and at the end of the night, she started to tell us her story and how she felt like the Lord was chasing after her. 

She gave her life to Jesus right in front of me that night. It was one of the most precious moments of my life.

Ever since that night she has been a steadfast friend and sister to me. She was in my wedding. I was in hers. I helped celebrate the birth of her first son, then her second. She has been with me every step of the way through our infertility and now adoption.


She always has an encouraging word, a sweet hug, a faithful prayer. She is a wonderful friend to so many. She is so kind and forgiving, so selfless, so much fun to be around.



She has lived her life as a friend, wife and mother with such grace. 


And yesterday morning she was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor.
Needless to say, the news hit all of us like a ton of bricks. 

This weekend she went to the hospital to be treated for dehydration due to constant migraines. They ran a CT scan and they found the tumor. Ironically, the headaches and tumor are unrelated. But if she hadn't been suffering from migraines they might not have found that tumor in time. Sometimes something good comes from our sufferings.

Next Friday they'll do a needle biopsy and figure out the treatment right there. She'll have chemotherapy or radiation or both.

She is so young and bright. I cannot imagine her sick or suffering. I don't want to. I am praying for the positive - no cancer, swift treatment, swift recovery.

And I hope you'll pray for her too.

Tonya, you've always been so brave in the midst of struggle. I pray for bravery and faith for today and the days to come. I'm in your corner and I love you.

16 comments:

  1. oh Kara. I'm so sorry about your precious friend. I will pray with you for her recovery. She is blessed to have you by her side for this.
    -Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this touches all of your readers as much as it did me. You outdid yourself (and your description of me) as always. Thank you so much, sweet friend. As women, it is our cultural norm to be critical of ourselves. Everyone needs an opportunity to see themselves through the eyes of a friend like you! You bless me infinitely! Now let's go kick some tumor booty! :-) Tonya Breen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara...PRAYING!!!!!
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara, that is such sad news. I know how close the two of you are and how much to hear news like this. I will be praying you and for tonya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please know I will be praying for you all and please tell Tonya she will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My prayers are with her and you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sad to hear of your friend, it sounds like she is an amazing woman. Sending prayers to you as well as all those afffected including her little boys.
    Rhiannon xxx
    www.lovewisdommotherhood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have many people praying for Toyna. She has been added to all the prayer chains and lists that I can think of. We pray in Jesus name that if it be His will that this tumor will be gone Tuesday!!!!! AMEN!!! To God be all the glory!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kara,

    You had really been on my heart yesterday and today, but I was swamped yesterday and am attending a conference today through Sat. So, I just prayed for you in the Spirit as I could. I got online at dinner break and read what you had posted about Tonya.

    I'm sitting here trying to hold back tears. I am praying, and have sent a prayer request to my friends whom I consider "big guns" of intercession. I will also ask some of the healing team captains to be praying. If she would like, I'd be glad to bring some ladies to her to pray for her. Just let me know what I can do! I'm believing for COMPLETE, MIRACULOUS healing!

    Loads of love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. And now ALL OF KARA'S READERS are in your corner, too, Tonya!

    Prayers and more prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be praying as well!
    -Bill

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I am praying for her & believing. God you are "I am." Displace that tumor out of Tonya's body completely. Holy Spirit, let Tonya be in a state of constantly being able to physically feel your presence and your love for her. Encourage her family and friends. Guide her caregivers in your wisdom. Meet her needs and the needs of those around her. You are precious, Lord. We want you to heal her. In Jesus name.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kara, Thank you for this beautiful description of Tonya. I was blessed to have her as a close friend at ASU and your tribute to her is spot on. She is an awesome girl and strong Christian. I know with her faith and friends like you there will be no stopping her. Thank you for all you are doing for her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has been a long time since I have been in touch with Tonya, seeing her beautiful boys and how happy she is makes me so happy while at the same time so sad for what Tonya & her family are going through. I am thrilled to see you write such incredible words about Tonya & share with others what a truly great girl she is. I love hearing she has found friends like you to keep her strong through this difficult time, I will pray for her every day, and check back to your blog for updates on her status. Thank you so much for loving her and sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It has been many years since I have seen Tonya, she was actually my "little sister" in our sorority at App State. Please let her know that she and her beautiful family will be in my prayers! She is a beautiful person inside and out and I am so sorry to hear of the tumor. Thank you so much for sharing this on your blog and I will continue to check for updates!
    Jessica Noonkester Durham

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground