Tonya Part 3

Monday, June 27, 2011

The Breen's - photo via Eric Schlenker
 Since I wrote this post, quite a few things have happened to Tonya, some good, some not so good.

On Thursday, June 16, Tonya had multiple seizures, landing herself in the hospital. She was discharged Saturday, only to find herself having scary symptoms on Sunday morning (her face was tingling non stop) and went back to the ER. The doctor said that her face tingling was pre-seizure symptoms - she has been prescribed some medications for the seizures and her drivers licence was taken away.

That, along with another issue, were the not so good things. Out of respect for her, I will only say this - she has been experiencing some side effects from her various medications and those side effects caused some concern for her husband, her parents and her family and friends. I have spent many an hour in prayer for her and have faith that God will take care of our girl. Please pray that these side effects would cease and desist immediately!

This past Sunday, Tonya made the bold decision to donate her beautiful hair to Locks of Love, and shave the rest of it off in preparation for the inevitable hair loss she will face with chemotherapy. She decided to make the event a party, inviting everyone to the salon, where our  hairdresser, Kim, snipped off two pigtails worth of hair, then buzzed her hair off. 

Forest Hill, the church I grew up in, and where Tonya and her family attend, have decided to document Tonya's journey and they were on sight to take photos and videos as well as get testimonials from her family and friends. 

It was a joyous event, although my heart hurt to watch all that gorgeous hair cut off so soon. I trust in Tonya's decision, but as her friend it was hard to watch her "go bald" so quickly. Quite honestly it just hit me that this will be the new normal for a while.  After her hair was buzzed off, a local tattoo artist, Troy, gave her a henna tattoo and then painted her head with bright colors to celebrate her life. We ended the night with pictures and hugs. 

Here is the day in photos (warning, a lot of photos):








Tonya and her daddy
Her husband Kevin and their youngest son, Nolen

The Forest Hill film crew







Her biopsy scar


Tonya and the tattoo artist Troy
Kim, our wonderful hairdresser and Tonya

Me giving a testimonial




I am amazed at how positive Tonya has stayed over the last month since her diagnosis. Tonya's hope in donating her hair and painting scripture and pictures on her head is to be a walking testimony of God's goodness and her faith. Let's continue to pray for healing, her health and the support for her family.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post, Kara! I was really interested in seeing the tattoos. Will the color be permanent? It really looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are Fab, Fab, FAb!!!!! Love T

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! i just have to say that Tonya looks pretty kick ass! :) and i'm pretty sure that's what she's going to do! praying, praying, praying

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post and all the pictures! Not being closer is a bummer at times like these and having this post makes us feel a part of what's going on with Tonya from day to day! Love you Tonya and are praying for your healing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post--I pray for strength during this trying time for your friend. She is beautiful with her head shaved and with hair--but hair is just an object compared to the glory and beauty of Christ. I will keep Tonya and her family on my prayer list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started reading your BEAUTIFUL, HAPPY blog...this post made me cry!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground