Happy Birthday Mom

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Today is my precious Mama's birthday.

She is in her late sixties, but you'd never know it. She has the energy of a 20 year old, the spunk. She amazes me with her fire, and drive and passion.

When I was a teenager, and my mom was bossing me around, as she should have been doing, I remember thinking, "I'm not going to raise my kids like that. I'm going to be less controlling and more laid back. I'm going to be a cool mom."

Oh the irony. I'm eating my words because if I raise my kids half as well as she's raised me it will be a small miracle.

Now I see how wise she is, how she gives direction and advice and opinions because she desires the best for each person around her, me especially.

She has always loved me and my dad, and now my husband fiercely. She'd give you anything you'd ask for, within reason, even the last $100 in her checking account if you needed it.

She has a servant's heart and feels most valued when she is helping and serving others - she especially likes to dote on her son-in-law making sure he eats seconds and his drink glass is full.

She has always pushed me to be a better version of myself - she can easily identify a person's talents, and reminds me of mine when I'm down or discouraged. 

Talking to her weekly always makes the world feel a little less chaotic, a little more at peace.  I hope I can be like her for my own children, an island of calm and love.

Happy Birthday Mama. I love you!

P.S. 33 years ago today, my mother was 6 months pregnant with me. And here we are, on the cusp of my 33rd birthday and I'm "pregnant" with my own little one.

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to your Mom, and I love the similarities between both of you becoming mothers. I came across your blog "blog-surfing" and just read back a few months. Your story is amazing and congratulations to you both!! I am definitely a new follower and can't wait to follow along on this journey with you. I can totally relate with how much you instantly love this little person that you haven't even met yet, as me and my husband are looking to start out family in the future and already love and will sacrifice so much for someone who doesn't even exist!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground