I need some help

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I want to redesign this blog a little... a new header, some prettier fonts for the pages up top.



I dread learning HTML though. Also, does anyone know how you get rid of the borders between my pages? (Home, About etc)

Does anyone have any suggestions for sites that can help me?

Or does anyone want to make me a new banner? I know people pay good money for this stuff, so I am kidding. Sort of.

8 comments:

  1. take a look at my blog http://rosenfried.blogspot.com i did it myself and it was about 3 hours worth of tweaking -- not html though. here is the website I used.. and followed their directions. http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used Grace because I got too frustrated trying to do it on my own, check her out: http://gracelydesigns.blogspot.com/p/blog-design_10.html. Super reasonable!

    Jess does stuff too - I can't find her design page, but you could email her for rates. She is awesome! http://www.andherecomesthesun.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love designing and been design my whole blog layout myself. While I doubt if I could help with the html thingy (dreaded me too!) I'd love to help with your blog banner (and other related stuff like buttons, etc) -- I found your blog few days ago through sometimessweet.blogspot.com (I think) Feel free to ontact me if you still need the new banner ;) yulia.yuwono@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kara,
    I design and develop sites for a living, so I'd be glad to answer any html questions. As for the lines between tabs in the navigation bar...
    I'd go to this link...
    http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?answer=46870
    ...to find out how to access the html for your blog.
    Once you have access to that, you'll need to copy and paste all the code into a text document so that you can always have a backup to revert to if you make a mistake with your blog's actual code…then scroll down the code and find the chunk of code below***: (approx. line 208)

    And see where it says: (18th line down)
    .tabs-inner .widget li a {
    display: inline-block;
    padding: .6em 1em;
    font: normal normal 12px 'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, sans-serif;
    color: #999999;
    border-left: 1px solid #ffffff;
    border-right: 1px solid #dddddd;
    }

    That last line of code is probably the culprit. Edit it to read:
    border-right: none;

    Did I totally confuse you? Editing blogs can be pretty challenging. But after you make a few edits successfully, it really starts to click and make sense.

    Don't hesitate to email with any questions.
    Good luck!
    -Terry



    ***Here is all the styling code for the navigation bar:
    /* Tabs
    ----------------------------------------------- */
    .tabs-inner .section:first-child {
    border-top: 0 solid #dddddd;
    }
    .tabs-inner .section:first-child ul {
    margin-top: -1px;
    border-top: 1px solid #dddddd;
    border-left: 1px solid #dddddd;
    border-right: 1px solid #dddddd;
    }
    .tabs-inner .widget ul {
    background: #ffffff none repeat-x scroll 0 -800px;
    _background-image: none;
    border-bottom: 1px solid #dddddd;
    margin-top: 0;
    margin-left: -30px;
    margin-right: -30px;
    }
    .tabs-inner .widget li a {
    display: inline-block;
    padding: .6em 1em;
    font: normal normal 12px 'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, sans-serif;
    color: #999999;
    border-left: 1px solid #ffffff;
    border-right: 1px solid #dddddd;
    }
    .tabs-inner .widget li:first-child a {
    border-left: none;
    }
    .tabs-inner .widget li.selected a, .tabs-inner .widget li a:hover {
    color: #999999;
    background-color: #ffffff;
    text-decoration: none;
    }

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry that is SO HELPFUL. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problemo. I have a dorky obsession with code, so I always jump on the opportunity to share if someone takes interest. I see you made some edits! Isn't it fun??? :)

    designsaveslives@gmail.com if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite places to poke around is dafont.com. They have all kinds of fun fonts that you can use when designing your layout. Oh, and smashing magazine always has free tutorials and helpful html blog stuff. Congratulations on your upcoming babe. We are in the process of adoption as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just came onto your blog for the first time today and as soon as I saw your header it made me laugh and wanted to read on, it's really great and I don't think you need to change it! Just one person's opinion :-) Although if you change it I'm sure it will be just as great.

    http://beingmama.com/
    http://ohsoprettylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground