Grieving

Monday, October 10, 2011

I am truly overwhelmed with the kindness and grace we have received from so many of you. I cried as I read each of your sweet comments. Thank you for being a wonderful network of support and love to our family in this difficult time.

 Grief is a tricky thing. 
There isn't a manual for it. The "five stages" can happen all at once. 
This last week, full of grief and heartache, has been a complete blur, but one day sticks out to me the most - Thursday.
 Thursday was the hardest day. 

Monday was shock. Tuesday was a day of action and waiting. Wednesday was resolution and closure.

But Thursday? It was the hardest.  It was the day we let the world know what happened. 

I worked from home on Thursday.  In between meetings I drafted my blog post, my status update for Facebook, the email to my co-workers. I waited until 5pm and with shaking hands I hit submit/send.

Then I sat at my dining room table and sobbed for thirty minutes.

The replies and comments started to pour in immediately. I read them. I sobbed some more. It all felt so final in that moment. It was over. We were not going to be parents of that little boy.

Over the weekend, I cried. I stared off into space for an hour. I read blogs and magazines. I cried with my husband. Then I cried with my friends. I vented to my family and my best friend. I wrote some blog posts. I went shopping with a friend. I wrote an incredibly cathartic angry letter to the woman we thought would place her child with us. I drank coffee and hung out in my pajamas. I went to a friend's wedding, where I cried as she exchanged her vows with her new husband. I hugged people. I cried some more.

And this morning I decided that I needed a day off from weeping. I read my bible. I tried to pray. I took a shower and did my hair and makeup and put on real clothes. 

I don't know how we do it, but humans have a great capacity for surviving tragedy. I am not any where close to being recovered, or healed, or over this awful situation we are in, but I know one day I'll wake up and feel different. I'll feel hopeful.

I'm looking forward to that day.

17 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed at the human ability to continue living in the midst of grief or tragedy. It can feel like I'll never feel better or laugh again in the middle of grieving, but I always do. And it's great that you can see that day ahead of you, no matter how long it takes. You are being loved and supported by people in many different places-- hopefully that takes some of the weight from your shoulders. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just now seeing your posts over the last few days and I am stunned. Heartborken for both of you. How could this happen? Praying for you and knowing what's meant to be will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have followed several of the top baby blogs from time to time and stumbled across your blog today for the very first time. The name of your blog caught my attention as I am adoptive mother myself. Maybe God brought me to your blog today so I could pray for you. Words fail me, and I know nothing I say will lessen this loss for you now. Just know there is one more person praying for you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been praying for you every day. Hang in there and know that God has big plans for you and your family, for this I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are no words... only know that I am thinking of you and your lovely family every single day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to that day with you... and it WILL happen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kara, have been praying for you since I heard the heart-breaking news, praying that God holds you in his arms and brings you peace...so very sorry. He is for you.
    Angella

    ReplyDelete
  8. sending so many prayers and so much love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine the feelings going through your heart bc I know my heart was crushed for you. I know today is terrible, but I hope tomorrow starts bringing good things, hope and happiness. Someday, your child will be placed in your arms and it will all be right again. I will continue to pray and think about you all. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. this post is the first I have ever read of yours. i am praying for you. that's all i can say. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never commented on your blog until now even though I read it.My thoughts and prayers are with you both.I pray for comfort for you both.Know that you have many followers that support you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just found your blog--I am so sorry to hear what happened. I myself was adopted & have such respect for adopting parents. Your time WILL come, & I know you will be wonderful parents.

    www.talesofayounghousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You don't know me, but I am praying for you. I can't imagine the heartache you are experiencing. I pray that you would experience the comforting love only the Father can bring you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Could not have written this better myself. I am so, so, so sorry that we have come to meet over the fact that we're sharing these circumstances, but it's therapeutic to have someone that understands and grieves with us. I'm continuing to pray for you both...thanks for sharing your heart.

    Grieving with you, my new friend...
    Liesl
    www.irwin-update.blogspot.com

    P.S. I think I may need to write one of those letters, too...it does sound very cathartic. I hate that I feel angry with this woman who basically did something that I couldn't blame her for (decided she could not give up her child)...yet I *do* feel angry. This letter (unsent, of course) sounds like just the ticket...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been praying for you. Although the hardest things in live are the the hardest to understand, take comfort in knowing the a precious baby will be calling you mom one day - soon. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground