Vacation

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Guess who is going to NYC for Thanksgiving? 
Via
Last month, when the crap hit the fan, I told Matt one night after I was moping, "We need a vacation. Let's go to Costa Rica." Tickets to CR were too pricey, but Matt did some research and got us cheap airline tickets to NYC!!! We're going for 5 days, staying at my Alma Mater's Loft for 3 nights, then at a swanky hotel for the last 2 nights.

The goal is to eat good food, shop a little and have a lot of fun.

We plan on standing in the freezing cold for the Macy's Day Parade on Thanksgiving morning (my childhood dream is to see the giant Snoopy up close); eat New York style pizza, get a red velvet cupcake at Magnolia Bakery, shop in SoHo, lunch at Gordon Ramsey's restaurant in The London Hotel, visit the Guggenheim, find the best and Dim Sum in Chinatown, maybe see a show on Broadway and (for me) hit up H&M, Zara and some vintage shops.

I'm so excited!! For those of you who live in NYC, or have visited there a lot, any other suggestions you'd add?

19 comments:

  1. Katherine from ChicagoNovember 16, 2011 at 10:23 AM

    The Young Artist's Market on Saturdays is awesome! Up and coming designers with lower prices.
    http://themarketnyc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a first-time commenter, but I live locally in NYC area. I must recommend Sweet Revenge (located in the West Village, but very close to SoHo) - it's an awesome cupcake and wine/beer pairing place. Check it out if you get a chance! (sweetrevengenyc.com) They also have brunch and such, but I've only had their cupcakes + beer/wine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Kara, go to Momofuku milk bar and get the birthday cake truffles!! YUMMMMMM!!! If you're a raw cookie dough eater, you'll keel over and die right then and there!

    Have a great trip!!

    http://www.momofuku.com/restaurants/milk-bar/menu/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you! NYC has a pulse all it's own. I have been 4 times. Most recently, I was there for a 24 layover. They were just putting up the Rockefeller Plaza tree- wow, what a majestic beauty. Take extremely warm clothes. That city is COLD. Face nipping cold. Scarf’s!

    The number one thing I can say to do is to go to "The Top of The Rock". Google it. It's far better, cheaper and faster line then going to the Empire State Building. Pluse, you can SEE the ESB from The Top of The Rock. You can also see Central Park like a bird can! Stunning.

    Plan a little trip to see Lady Liberty. She is also very majestic and so inspirational. Magnolia Bakery really is very quaint and you'll fall in love with it's mint green walls. Eat your cupcake at the tiny park across the street.

    Take a 15 minute stroll through the biggest Macy*s in the world.

    Enjoy with all your might. I've been following your blog for a while now from Dallas, Texas. You have a tremendous heart and it brings me back over and over to read your posts.

    Happy Holidays to you guys. I know you'll make the best of it!
    Bekah~

    ReplyDelete
  5. so jealous! i am planing a america holiday in jube/july next year starting with 5 days in nyc. maybe i will stiop by u guys in carolina to say hi!i loved it when i was there even though i stayed in harlem. coney island was great but so run down : ( i really want to see WICKED on broadway and go the m & m world>

    ReplyDelete
  6. eeee i am so jealous, but so excited for you!!!
    one of our fave places we ate at was POP burger! its in timesquare and they have amazing burgers and corn on the cob! and it looks super cool inside!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading along on your blog and am so happy to hear you are treating yourself to a much deserved vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, do NOT miss Century 21.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are going there for Tgiving too!!! We'll be at the parade as well.. BEST DIM SUM in chinatown is at Jing Fong restaurant between Bayard and Canal... there is also a good bubble tea place called Vivi Bubble Tea on Bayard. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should try to make it out to Brookyln and check out Dekalb Market: http://dekalbmarket.com/ Also, the independent designers market mentioned above is right in soho and always has unique things. NoLITA (east and north of soho) has GREAT shops, check out Poppy on Mott St. Also, skip Magnolia and go for Crumbs! or Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery in the East Village. Take a walk on the High line in Meatpacking, it's an old railroad track turned park. See this: http://fuerzabrutanyc.com/ If you want good Italian, don't eat in Little Italy, try Lil Frankies in the east Village or Scarpetta in Meatpacking. For great Ramen, try Ipputo. If you love food, check out Mario Batali's Eataly http://eatalyny.com/. Grab a drink at McSorleys http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/ The oldest bar in the city! Like rice pudding? Rice to Riches in soho is like an ice cream shop for rice pudding. whew, I'm sure there is so much more but those are some of my favorites :)
    Shopping: Get lost in the 59th st Bloomingdale's, check out bergdorf and Barney's for the elaborate windows. Bu for real shopping, Soho and NoLITA are my faves. Soho for chain's (Top shop, Uniqlo, Madewell, H&M(The one on 5th ave and 52nd street is WAY better))

    also, I have been following your blog for a few months now and I admire your courage and positive outlook on everything. Keep the positive energy and good luck with everything, it will all work out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys are awesome, thank you! I will add these to the list!

    Native to Brooklyn you are a rock star. Much love to you!
    Amanda thanks for the dim sum suggestion!
    M - that sounds awesome!
    Anonymous (both of you) thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. my favourite thing to do is walk half way across brooklyn bridge without looking around then turn around and look back at the city. my cousin told me to do that when i was there and it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://www.parkermeridien.com/eat4.php

    The Burger Joint

    It's inside the parker meridien hotel, and it's TINY and YUMMY. you have to look for a little neon sign once you walk in the lobby..it's down a little hallway by a big looking brown curtain. They ONLY have what's on the menu and it's usually always very busy. GREAT burgers and shakes! (if you are in the mood for that)


    There's also Serendipity of course!! Frozen Hot Chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh and have SUCH a wonderful time!! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I live in the NYC area. Definitely check out Serendipity. Such a classic NYC eatery...great burgers, salads, and the best Frozen Hot Chocolate. The two of you can share it...So romantic.
    I agree with Jing Fong. So very yummy. If you like Asian Kitschy gifts and cool stuff you must check out Pearl River Mart on Canal Street. It is amazing! Great after dim sum. There is so much more...but sounds like you have it covered and there are all great suggestions here, too! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, how divine! I have only been to NYC once but my best friend lives there at the moment for work and is having an absolute ball. Have a Cosmopolitan for me and visit Topshop for a taste of London!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. my favorite blogger did this series a couple of months ago
    http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/search/label/cup%20of%20jo%20guide%20to%20new%20york%20city

    ReplyDelete
  18. I looove the city and you're so lucky the tree will be lit! Check out the Saks building at night while you are there, the snowflakes light up and music plays on the building so linger long enough to see! Have your hat and/or earmuffs ready. Skip Ice skating in Rockefeller center and go skating in Central Park! It's beautiful and less crowded. If you're in the West Village Area we just had brunch at lovely cozy spot...The Place.
    And since you'll be heading to Soho, I love MANGO on Broadway. Have fun and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground