Working Out My Faith

Thursday, January 12, 2012

In December, as we shared the news of our pregnancy with friends and family, there were screams of delight, and happy tears, hugging... so much hugging.  And there were a lot of expressions like, "Praise God!", "His timing is always perfect!", "He had a plan all along!" and "Everything happens for a reason."

I didn't think much of these statements at the time.  I was too overwhelmed with the news - after four and a half years of trying to have a biological child, it still seemed unreal to see that positive pregnancy test, to hear the nurses congratulate me at my doctor's office and then to feel the onset of nausea and exhaustion from pregnancy.

But now, I'm overcome with those words - that God was "always in control", that "this baby was meant to be all along", that what we went through - years of infertility and our adoption failing - "was part of God's plan".  Is all of that true?  That God would "allow" us to go through years and years of heartache and struggle and seemingly lead us down the road to adoption, but let it blow up in our faces?!

I honestly don't know what to believe. I am still angry at the Lord over what happened in October.  I am still angry that my precious, darling husband, who has wanted children as long as I can remember, had to wait until he was 36 years old to be a father.  I am angry that my body was never healed from the ridiculous, terrible diagnosis of unexplained infertility, even though I prayed for it (and so many others did as well) for years.  I am still angry that I cried so much, that I let the shame of being a "barren" woman seep in and define me for too long and that I felt like a failure because no matter how hard I tried, or didn't try, or prayed, or didn't pray, I still wasn't a parent.

Right before our adoption failed, as things were starting to unravel and I sensed that something could go terribly wrong, I sat on the couch next to Matt and told him this: "If this adoption fails, I am going to hate God.  I know that is a terrible thing to say, but after all we have been through, after all the time and money and tears and heartache, if He denies us this, it will be almost impossible for me to believe that He loves us."

And then the worst happened... the adoption did fail.  I went into a state of despair, then shock, then a sick season of apathy towards God.  I fed lines to my friends and family that I believed God still loved me, that He was still in control.  I didn't believe any of it myself.  Then I felt the anger start to sweep in and overtake me.  I told God he could go you-know-what himself because if He loves us He could have done anything - changed our circumstances, healed me, given me the gift of pregnancy, or helped our plans of adoption succeed.

I wrote Him off, almost completely.  I didn't deny that He was Lord, or that my salvation wasn't dependent upon Him; instead I broke off almost every thread of feeling towards Him, locking Him out of my heart and my head.  God wasn't dead to me, but He wasn't a welcome guest in my life anymore.

Then lo and behold, I found out I was pregnant.  A miracle happened in the midst of my anger and my hate, and it shook me to the core.

I don't mince words here: this pregnancy is a real miracle.  It was helped along by some fertility drugs and a nurse with a catheter, but it is still a miracle.  This baby was a medical miracle, but it was also a miracle for my faith.  I think God knew what it would take to bring me back to Him - on Friday, December 2, 2011 standing alone in my bathroom with a positive pregnancy test in my hand, I wept uncontrollably and felt almost a primal urge to start thanking and praising my God.

So I did.  I praised Him, I cried, I called out His name and said thank you over and over.  It was the first time I had spoken to God since our adoption failed.  He had brought me back to Him through something extraordinary: a miracle for my faith and a miracle in our lives. 

I don't know why our story has been written this way. What I do know is that my faith is so fragile.  It took a miracle to bring me back to the Lord, and while I am thankful that He did it, I'm sad that my faith was so weak in the first place.  I know that like someone who is recovering from a massive injury, my wounds will heal with time, but they will most likely leave scars.  People can recover from anything, but it still changes them unequivocally.

I'll never be the same from what has happened over the last four and a half years and I am still working out my faith over all that has transpired. But I can freely admit that I am thankful. I'm thankful for the life I have, for my amazing husband and marriage, for my wonderful friends and family and for this miracle baby growing inside me.

Thank you God for my miracle.

21 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes! I sometimes feel angry toward God and question why we haven't received our miracle yet. Infertility is faith testing! Congratulations on your little miracle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to this whole post. 4.5 years of trying with no baby to bring home. Thousands of dollars and even more tears shed during that time. Lots of why's were asked to the man above and while I always received the same answers, 'its in his time', ' he is in control', 'he knows what he's doing'....it all drove me mad. Now, I too sit here with a miracle growing, one I never expected but thank him for everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara, thank you for your honesty. I've been learning that it is the "shortest path through suffering" (my brother Paul, chaplain for Douglas County Emergency Services in Kansas). You will be able to relate to others who are disappointed and angry, but you will be able to encourage them to press on. The rest of the story is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the greatest thing about God is that he is big enough for us to yell at him and at times not like him at all... and somehow he still loves us completely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. first, I want to say that your brutal honesty and authenticity bind you to us, and to God. I honor that in you.
    Second, this is my belief system only...take it for what it is worth. I don't think God seeks to shield us from Pain. I think God wanted us to know he had utter and complete empathy with our pain. I think that Jesus did not resist or use a "get out of jail free card" when the Romans murdered him. I believe the crucifixion was the ultimate expression of God's empathy for our human frailty, suffering and loss. We like to skip ahead to the resurrection, but there is much to be gleaned from digging deep into the pain and anguish of Jesus' disappointment by his disciples and his betrayal and then his brutal crucifixion.
    When my life hands me a disappointment, when I have been betrayed, ridiculed, abused and when I have also done these things to myself out of self loathing or ignorance or naïveté, I only need to look and Christ and feel his head on my shoulder, weeping, sighing, grieving along with me.
    The good stuff and the bad stuff in life just seems random in lots of ways. The grief of white middle class Americans seems sometimes trivial against the pain suffered in, say, Haiti or Somalia. Then again, I can only really feel my own pain. I am not capable of the empathy and unconditional love of God. I do not always get what I pray for. I wish I did. But in the end, I have the only God I have ever heard of in all of human history that is willing to suffer WITH me, up close and personal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say is Amen. Everything He did, He did for us- even the deepest, darkest moments. He wept with those who lost their beloved Lazarus BEFORE he raised him from the dead. He descended to the depths of despair that he could know and help each of us through our dark hours.

      Congratulations, Kara and Matt, and Kara, you are amazing to open up so freely.

      Delete
  6. Hi Kara, thank you so much for sharing your story, so honestly, with your readers. I wanted to comment because at my bible study this week, we studied the book of Job. His story of suffering really touched me this week, as I just found out I was laid off from my job. And much like Job, I ask "Why me? I've never done anything but follow you Lord". I was angry. I feel like bad things shouldn't happen to me because I'm a Christian. It's easy for me to praise Him when things are going my way. When things go wrong, I question if he really cares about me. But what I learned from this study is that I've got to work on praising God not for what I have, or what he provides, but simply because He is my God. And that's really, really hard for me...I think it's hard for many Christians. I don't know if my getting laid off is a lesson for me, or a test of my faith, but I am working through the same question you are -why. And unfortunately I'll never get an answer here on earth - but I sure hope I do in heaven :)

    I hope my rambling makes some sort of sense...and I'm not even sure I'm saying what I mean to say! I guess I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in your feelings and you shouldn't feel sad that you are sometimes "fragile in faith"...I think that is a part of being faithful...growing, learning, getting stronger.

    Congratulations on the pregnancy...I wish you all the best as you prepare for motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind note and encouragement!

      And I'm thankful that the Lord has not chosen me for the kind of suffering Job went through. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh Kara.

    When I talked to Pastor after our second miscarriage, I warned him that I was MAD at the Big Man and I wasn't sure what would come out of my mouth and apologized in advance.

    To my surprise he didn't hang up on me, and in fact agreed that God could probably handle my fury.

    These tests are big ones. Don't beat yourself up for not having the faith of Mother Theresa. Your willingness to share with us in your brokenness is why I call you sister. That, my friend, takes strength.

    Love you and Matt and Baby M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your honesty. I had two miscarriages over the past two years, the first time I found out I was pregnant on Mothers day (after being told I wouldn't be able to get pregnant on my own) and miscarried 2 weeks later. I was a wreck and pissed, feeling like a huge joke was played on me. I feel like my faith has been on fragile status since then, having a miscarriage, then a full term pregnancy, then another miscarriage, and now another pregnancy, its like being an emotional yo-yo. Not to mention the pregnancy hormones that have taken over my body for the past two years. Anyways all that to say, I've decided fragile faith is a good faith. Its a real transparent faith. Its a faith that might be so breakable, but at the same time is so easily filled with joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tiffany. I am so sorry to hear about your losses. My heart is so broken for you. I am so happy for your two precious babies, but am sad your story was a series of massive ups and downs.
      Your faith is a real inspiration to me!

      Delete
  9. I am so glad that you wrote this post. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for a little over two years now and now we have put that path to rest. We have started the adoption process as of last week and I went through a VERY DARK road six or so months ago. My heart was broken. Jiby, my husband will be 38 on the 31 and I feel as though I have failed him. The one thing that I am SUPPOSE to be able to do that he can't, just isn't happening. I pray day by day, sometimes minute by minute and ask for guidance and understanding. I want my faith to be STRONG and not to fail me, but its hard. I was defined by my infertility for two years. Im slowly starting to become the Summer who smiles and acts goofy but sometimes its only for show. I pray that we won't have a disrupted adoption. Kara, I don't think that I can handle that. Which scares me, but He is in control and His timing isn't my timing.

    As for your baby, it is a miracle, every child is a miracle and praise needs to be lifted to Him. So many women complain about the most ridiculous things, but you won't be that way. I'm not saying you'll have rosy days everyday but you and Matt will be wonderful parents and not let a minute be taken for granted.

    much love and prayer your way,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer you are in my prayers. I pray that your heart would be filled with peace and hope, and that God protects you and Jiby fully throughout this process. He is your strength and it's absolutely ok for you to feel weak at times throughout this process. You are not your infertility!

      Praying for you and your family to be. I have absolute hope for you!!! Hugs!

      Delete
  10. I am so happy for you, I don't know you but I would like to give you a hug. At least a virtual one :)

    It's in God's time is a hard lesson I had to learn as well. No where near as heart breaking as not being able to conceive a child but it was what I needed to go through. I wrote about it in my own way and it really helped me let go of all the negative and just put it behind me. I hope this happens for you too.

    God bless you and your family!

    ♥always,
    Marisol
    ( here is what I wrote in case you would like to read it: http://www.theseasol.com/2011/04/are-you-there-god-its-me-unemployed.html)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your pregnancy! I just wanted to add that sometimes I feel like the Lord gives us obstacles so that we may be able to sympathize with others in the same situation. For example, Summer-Raye and Tiffany who wrote in. You might not understand at this time why he gave you a baby this roundabout way, but from an outsiders perspective, I already see your story helping these 2 women. This is really what faith is. It isn't about knowing that He exists, that, for me, is a given. It's trusting in Him to take care of us throughout our lives, and that in the end, we will look back and appreciate how he's shown us things. Its through the trial and tribulations we learn our best lessons sometimes, although its not easy.

    God bless you and I hope your pregnancy goes smoothly!
    Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard it said, "Stick around..You don't want to leave before the miracle happens." This reminds me of what happened to you. Sometimes, I feel we as humans...we "want" something. We want it so badly. And God, who is in control (not us) tells us "no," "not now," "wait"...It is so hard for us little humans to wait on the Lord. Then, we try to take matters into our own hands. I know I did. I decided to have a child with someone who was in so many ways (too man) to count, not an appropriate partner for me...and even less appropriate to be a father. I did this because I was 37 and I had wanted a child my whole life. I had waited for the right one, situation, etc. Nothing happened. Now, I am paying dearly...My daughter is a gift from God...but I believe he taught me the hard lesson I needed. Having my daughter has come with an enormous price. Back to the point, maybe if you look real carefully, you will know what the lesson was. I truly believe, it has to happen on His time, not ours. And He teaches us that in so many ways. Congratulations. You will never be the same again...Remember, God prunes us so we can bear more fruit! Love and blessings, Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cyndy,
      I am so sorry to hear that you feel you are paying for your decision, but out of all our mistakes, I really believe that God can redeem and make it beautiful. Your daughter is so blessed to have you as her mother! Hugs to you.
      -Kara

      Delete
  13. Somehow I managed to stumble onto your blog and this post kicked my ass. Thanks for being honest. I'm still in the process of recovering my own faith. I don't believe that "it was God's plan all along." I hate those type of sentiments. Ugh. I'm not sure why I'm commenting other than to say thanks for your honesty.

    I'm happy for your pregnancy. I'm a doula and Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator and I love a good pregnancy blog, and yours is super cute. So cheers to you on your wonderful pregnancy!

    P.S. Over The Rhine has a lyric that says, "I"m not letting go, I'm just losing my grip." I absolutely resonate with that. I remind myself that I’m not responsible for being my own superhero when it comes to managing my faith, because I believe that God’s okay with my honest heart and my broken faith. There is tremendous value in sifting through the questions that moments of despair lead us to. God already knows what’s in our heart and it takes sifting for us to realize our own humanity. Thanks for sharing your heart. Peace, joy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sam Phillips has this great song where she sings, “Help is coming, one day late.” I know that sense of feeling like God is a day late and a dollar short. Somehow even in those moments I stumble about with my heart bleeding saying to God that, “I believe, but forgive my unbelief.” Over the Rhine has a song too, where they sing, “I’m not letting go, I’m just losing my grip.” I remind myself that I’m not responsible for being my own superhero when it comes to managing my faith, because I believe that God’s okay with my honest heart and my broken faith. There is tremendous value in sifting through the questions that moments of despair lead us to. God already knows what’s in our heart and it takes sifting for us to realize our own humanity.

    Love your blog, as a doula and a lamaze certified childbirth educator I'm sending you extra pregnancy joo joo vibes. You're gonna love this journey.
    peace...joy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground