Dinnertime: Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I made this recipe up! I have always loved shrimp tacos but no place in my city makes the way I like them 100% - either they are too overspiced or the garnish is off. Hopefully you'll like my version!

Ingredients
1 bag pre-cooked, de-veined shrimp (about 40 medium)
1 large avocado
1 jalapeno
flour tortillas (small kind)
1/2 a lime cut in wedges
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon tequila
1 can black beans
salt and pepper to taste
handful of cilantro, washed
Optional: salsa (regular or corn)

Heat your beans in a small saucepan on low - add a little salt and chili powder to spice them up. 
Defrost your shrimp in cold water, and remove tails. In a large skillet, heat about 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil (I prefer olive oil) over medium heat, throw in your shrimp and season with the Old Bay, Chili Powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 min until warm, then pour out some of the juices from the pan, turn the heat to low and sprinkle with the juice from a wedge of lime. Let simmer another 5 minutes.

While your shrimp are simmering, slice up your jalapeno into small pieces. Dice up the avocado and toss both into a food processor with the tablespoon of tequila, and a dash of salt. Pulse until the consistency is soft.

Heat up your tortillas, then pop in about 4-5 shrimp each, add a dollop of the avocado salsa and some cilantro. Add a large spoonful of beans and a wedge of lime to garnish. Add salsa to the tacos if you please! Serves 2 - 4 (about 4 small tacos a piece for 2 people). Enjoy!

Alternatives to recipe:
If you don't drink alcohol, you can substitute lemon or lime juice. 
Shredded purple cabbage makes a great garnish for the tacos.
Brown rice with your beans is also nice!

4 comments:

  1. This looks soooo yummy! I will have to try this!


    littlebabyoverman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I am definitely going to try this! I love shrimp tacos too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so good! I'm in the midst of cooking dinner right now, and I almost wish I'd made this inside. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground