waiting for the bottom to fall out...

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Our daughter!
Last Friday was a monumental day for me. I was terribly excited to find out the gender of our child, but more than that, I was terribly anxious to see if our baby was healthy and whole.

We have not had the best track record in our journey to parenthood. We tried for four and a half years to create a family, our adoption process took a really long time, then failed, and honestly, I felt conditioned to expect the worst with this pregnancy.

For the last 14 weeks since I found out that we are pregnant, I feel like I have been holding my breath - I've been waiting for the bottom to fall out, so to speak. 

There are so many things that can go wrong in pregnancy and life and while I was praying (and knew there were an army of people praying too) that our child would be healthy, I had this crazy anxiety that our baby would have something wrong with it medically.  In the weeks leading up to the ultrasound all I could think about were the worst case scenarios I had lived through with my friends or heard about - my friend Jessie's daughter has a heart defect, my friend Tonya just helped bury her friend's baby who was born without a brain and my old roommate's first son never grew kidneys or a bladder.  

So when it was time to see our sweet miracle baby via ultrasound this past Friday, I was a hot mess.  I tried to stay calm and cool around Matt, but the minute I laid down on the table and the tech put that cold jelly on my stomach, I turned into a ball of stress.

The tech went slowly, showing us what we were seeing, telling us what she was looking for. Body part and organs were checked off one by one and each one became a still image to go in our file. It wasn't until she was totally done that I realized how tense my body was - I was holding my breath at times and my hands gripped the side of the table.

But in the end, everything with our daughter was fine. Her heart was fine, her brain was fine, her kidneys and bladder were fine. She is healthy and whole and beautiful.  It was such a relief to see her in all her sweet perfection. I felt my eyes well up with tears and started to relax as the tech said, "Your daughter is healthy! Congratulations!"

Hindsight is always 20/20 and I wish I had trusted in the Lord more these last three and a half months for my daughter's sake.  The bottom didn't fall out and my fears didn't come to life (for once!)  I was hoping for the best, but my pessimism really got the best of me.  Lesson learned God!

I am so thankful that our daughter is here, growing and safe in my belly, and that she is already blessing us in ways we cannot imagine.  I'm excited for these next five months to just enjoy the rest of this pregnancy and pray for her life, her health and precious little spirit. 
My little skinny girl (they are so skeletal at this stage)!  She kept sucking her thumb and putting her hands over her face during the ultrasound.  Isn't she sweet?

17 comments:

  1. Your past troubles definitely contributed to your stress and anxiety over the scan. But I can tell you from experience that even with an easy time getting pregnant, I was in tears during my scan until they told me everything was ok. The u/s tech just kept telling me "I know you hear these horror stories. Just remember that they arent contagious. You only hear the bad and never the good." And I tried to keep that in perspective. And now you can breathe easier for the rest of your pregnancy knowing that your beautiful girl is healthy and whole, and most importantly, loved. Whether or not you were trusting the Lord these past few months, you were acting like the mother that he made you. That will go on forever, and that is an amazing thing =o)

    Congratulations! she is already looking beautiful, and I cant wait to "meet" her on here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words! It's good to know that it's not just me that was battling anxiety. I am excited to enjoy her and this pregnancy with less worries!

      Delete
  2. As soon as I saw the first ultrasound picture I was like, "She has Kara's nose!" so crazy! She already looks like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually she was moving so much her facial features were super blurry in all the profile shots. She actually has a smaller button nose (poor thing doesn't need mama's big nose at so young of an age!)

      Delete
  3. So so sweet- as a mom you will always worry. From ultrasound until end of time. It is our nature. When I was pregnant with our twin boys I kept saying is this right is that right and it was all right all along. God is watching over you and protecting you! CONGRAT on your sweet baby girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so blessed, and so is your sweet little girl. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely have tears in my eyes!!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. she is sweet! your little mini-me...how cute!

    it is heartbreaking to read about your friends babies. i couldn't even imagine the pain and heartache as a parent, you would feel to have a baby born with no brain, missing organs or any other health problem for that matter.

    i'm so happy for you and matt. a healthy baby girl is the best blessing. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a mama now, Kara, and you will never stop worrying. These little angels are so precious to us and the stress and worry are part of the journey. But, you are right: faith has to intervene and you have to know that the bottom will NOT fall out, this is your destiny, this is what your journey has all been leading to. All of your struggles and heartache, it has made you a stronger person. It has made you into this little girl's mother. I am so, so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so, sooooo happy for you. You deserve this little amazing girl and I can tell you will make an excellent mother. She's so lucky that you'll be holding her in 5 months!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that's such great news Kara! I'm fairly new to your blog but I love reading about your pregnancy! I suffered a loss before and I know I'll be terribly worried the first trimester as well. I'm very happy for you! Congrats!!

    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy for you! I have had two ultrasounds trying to get a good view of our little girl. We have clearly seen that she is a girl but wont show us her face! So excited you got such a great view of your little girl, you deserve all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh, that sweet little angel!!
    so happy she is healthy and love her already :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! The 20weeks scan makes all of us so nervous, and the relief that floods over you when it's good news is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ahhh just catching up on your blog and now i'm crying! look at your beautiful, perfect baby girl!!! i love her so much! i can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Babies are the best blessings and I pray that God watches over you and her (and the rest of your family) for always. So exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. HOW WONDERFUL!!!!! she is precious! congrats to both u and Matt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground