Now that I have my appetite back (and the gag reflex is gone), I have been focused on eating right during this pregnancy.
Matt and I normally have dinners that encompass quite a few vegetables, a protein and some sort of complex carb, but there are some nights that we eat Chick-fil-A or hamburgers and fries from a local joint. I've never been a big breakfast person - I normally just drank coffee in the morning. When I brought my lunch to work it was leftovers from dinner or a random mish-mash of items from my fridge (fruit, string cheese, chips, diet coke).
My metabolism over the last decade has gone from just ok to not good. I have to watch a lot of what I eat in order to just maintain my weight (which pre pregnancy was between 5-10 lbs too much).
My normal eating habits combined with my metabolism wasn't setting me up for success during this pregnancy - I knew I had to change a few things. Thankfully, I started to wake up hungry and not eating breakfast wasn't an option!
Here are some of the ways I have been packing in the good calories during pregnancy:
Smoothies
During the 1st trimester I used chocolate protein powder, skim milk and 2 bananas - it gave me the protein I needed and I could keep it down. Now I make a mixed berry smoothie - frozen blueberries, strawberries, a banana and some no sugar added apple juice. I'm also going to start adding spinach to this one!
Snacking on Fruit or Nuts
Our local Costco always has blueberries, blackberries or grapes on sale, and their prices on apples are good too. I bring fruit to work daily for my snack, along with some no-salt added mixed nuts (Cashews, almonds, peanuts) to keep my energy up.
Something good to counter the bad
Last night we had bacon cheeseburgers - they were delicious but obviously not the most healthy choice, but I made sure to have vegetables with it - asparagus and sweet potatoes.
If we make homemade pizza, we make sure it has at least 3 veggies on it, or if we eat pasta that there is a big helping of spinach or a dark green salad as the main course.
Water
I have never been a big water drinker, save after I work out. I now drink water with every meal and don't bring soda to work anymore with my lunch. I also add slices of lime or a packet of Crystal Light lemonade to make it more enticing.
These are just a few things I have done to eat better, but would welcome any suggestions! How have you stayed healthy during pregnancy?
Also, I have been craving sweets like crazy, so ice cream and frozen yogurt are consumed every once in a while. I'm not perfect!




Hey Kara, I also have been trying the smoothie thing for a bit now! I'm a college student, so I don't always remember to eat my vegetables when I'm running around to class. But adding spinach seems like a fantastic idea--I hear you can't really taste it?
ReplyDeleteI do have to admit how I make the smoothies extra-good, though: I add one packet of diet hot chocolate. I don't know if you've been, but in NYC (where I'm from) they have something called a frozen hot chocolate, and it tastes just like it! But much healthier :)
http://thenakedcoed.blogspot.com/
i have always been a breakfast eater. my blood sugar drops really low, really fast so i have to eat often. while pregnant, i would eat 2 breakfasts (Lol.) because i just couldn't make it off of snacks until lunch time. protein at every meal kept my energy up and satisfied me longer. my ob instructed to limit my fruit intake to 2 a day since fruit is high in sugar (natural sugar but whatever you say ms. midwife..).
ReplyDeletesounds like you have a healthy meal plan for yourself :). smoothies are easy, portable, delicious and healthy! also, don't be too hard on yourself for enjoying a not so healthy meal every once in a while. you're doing good by preparing healthy choices along side. i would have ice cream here and there as well. cakes and cookies are my weakness and i still enjoyed them while pregnant...in moderation.
Kara, I have really enjoyed reading your blog and hope you'll come read mine! In the next few months, we will start trying for a baby of our own. I would love if you would follow along!
ReplyDeleteI drank a lot of sparkling water during both of my pregnancies. That way, I got my fizz on without the chemical punch of soda. I liked dry cereal for something sweet--like frosted mini wheats or cinnamon Life. And I ate lots of baked potatoes with beans and cheese, as I'm a vegetarian and needed protein. I craved cupcakes and baked goods...oi.
ReplyDeletein9months.com
Basically...smoothies are saving my life.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, I have to say my healthy eating habits went out the window when I found out I was pregnant. I just seem to be addicted to coffee and can't give it up. Granted, I've switched to decaffeinated but even that still worries me.
ReplyDeleteMrs W x
I have a bone to pick with you! I have been craving a raspberry smoothie for the last 2 days since reading this! Might have to whip one up for breakfast tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I've been trying REALLY hard to do this pregnancy is to eat healthily and not give in to my unhealthy cravings. It's been a bit easier as my husband's on a diet so we've been in it together, but I'd eat cheeseburgers three times a week if I could!