This
is part two of a little series on my marriage. Again, I am no expert on
marriage in general, but I am becoming an expert on MY marriage and
Matt. I am sharing our experiences
because I believe we are incredibly blessed to have a strong, solid
relationship - but it took us a lot of hard work and time to get there.
This week's post is on conflict and how Matt has helped me become a
better wife and person.
If you have ever met my husband you would have quickly noticed a few things about him:
He is quiet and laid back.
He is skinny.
He has enormous blue eyes.
And he is the nicest person you will ever meet.
I don’t know how he does it,
but Matt is kind to everyone. He doesn’t participate in complaining
sessions about people or things, he doesn’t gossip, and he doesn’t speak
poorly about people behind their back. When
he welcomes people into our home, he makes them feel at ease and it’s
more than the Southern hospitality we are all “raised right” in – it’s a
true, authentic desire to make our guests feel comfortable. When faced
with conflict, Matt has the uncanny ability
to stay calm – he listens first, thinks through the situation, then
responds as needed. “Please” and “thank you” are part of his everyday
vocabulary. He has a heart for serving others.
Matt has grace – grace for
others, grace for situations and grace for me. And as his wife, this
part of his personality has done wonders for our relationship.
But let me back up and give you some history...
I was raised in a home where
our mode of operation in conflict was a little bit of the silent
treatment and a whole lot of snippy, rude, and condescending talk. My
parents didn’t have much conflict with one another,
but when they did and I was witness to it, one person would shut down
while the other would speak to them in a tone of voice that wasn’t
pleasant – it wasn’t yelling or screaming or throwing things; it was
more of that slow burn that stings and makes your
eyes water. (Please don’t think poorly of my parents, they really are
amazing people and this behavior was extremely rare). And when I had
conflict with them – which was often as a teenage girl – that behavior
was my mode of operation.
Matt (from what he has told
me) was raised in a home where conflict was avoided – again no yelling,
screaming, or throwing of things; but also no condescending talk and no
intentional silent treatments. They just
didn’t talk about it at all.
So when we got married, what
conflict we had was dealt with in a weird way. At first Matt would
avoid it altogether and I would go into silent mode. Over time, I
realized that neither way ever resolved anything, so
I stopped with the silence and tried to emulate Matt’s inherent
kindness and grace while talking frankly about it. Then Matt saw me
trying to deal with the conflict in a more head-on way and he would
respond the same.
Over time we learned how to
handle our own conflict with courtesy, kindness and grace, and that
change has seeped over into the other “drama” that has come our way in
life. It isn’t always easy, but it has kept our
relationship out of that yucky zone where you’re not even showing
common courtesy to one another.
Side bar: Isn’t it
ironic that when the crap hits the fan, whether it be drama in our
marriages, or drama in our lives, that we take it out (mostly
unintentionally) on those closest to us? My husband deserves
to be treated better than that – he deserves my best, even though he is
privy to my worst.
So Matt and I don’t yell at
one another. We don’t throw things. We don’t give the other the silent
treatment and when we’re hurt or frustrated or annoyed or feeling
misunderstood, we don’t resort to harsh words, name
calling or snide remarks.
But more than that, I have
tried to become the kind of partner and spouse to Matt as he is to me –
kind, nice, polite, calm, and inherently graceful. Please and thank you
is second nature, as is serving him in the
ways he serves me. He helps me stay in check with things that I
struggle with like judging others or gossip (yep, I have a problem with
talking and giving my opinions on everything!) so I can be that nice,
kind person to everyone too.
It’s the whole iron
sharpening iron metaphor. He has helped make me a better me, just by
being him. And because I am a better me, I am a better wife. And because
of that there is a lot more peace in our house and
relationship. (Of course there are things he has learned from me, but we'll get to that in another post!)
I’m thankful for who Matt is, selfishly for my own sake, but also because he is just plain wonderful!
Great post! I need to get better how I handle things when I am upset, I do one of two things.. yell or cry. Niether one go well with my husband. He is an avoider. LOL. We definitely have gotten LOADS better in our almost 3 years of marriage, but I need to still do a lot of improving!
ReplyDeleteI love how intentional you are! Really good post!
ReplyDeleteI love this Kara! Really really good. Love you
ReplyDeleteLove, Katrine
Such a great post - I love how you two have figured out what works for you in what seems like such a graceful way. These lessons will be so powerful for brighton!
ReplyDelete