This is very similar to the enchiladas I make, except it's in a slow cooker. Super easy and yummy.
Ingredients
1 medium red bell pepper
1 medium orange bell pepper
1 small onion
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can enchilada sauce
1 can Rotel
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (not pictured)
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup half & half (not pictured)
salt and pepper to taste
Place your chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker and season liberally with salt and pepper. Turn the cooker on high (4 hours cook time) and place the lid on.
While your chicken is warming in the cooker, dice up your peppers and
onion. Throw those on top of the chicken, then add the beans, Rotel (you
can drain some of the juice if you want - I leave mine all in) and the
enchilada sauce, plus the half & half.
Cook for 2 hours, then take the chicken out of the cooker and pull apart so it's shredded slightly.
Add the chicken back to the cooker, stir in the cream cheese and cook for an additional 2 hours.
You can serve this over rice, or in a tortilla or as a dip with chips. (I drain out part of the liquid when I serve it.) We had ours with rice in a tortilla, topped with some garnishes.
Matt had his with some cheese and cilantro.
I had sour cream, cheese, cilantro and avocado.
Serves 6. Enjoy!
Alternatives to this recipe:
You can do a longer cook time, and there will be much less liquid at the end - 8 hours would be the max.
If you don't love enchilada sauce, taco sauce works just as well - you just need 10 oz of it.
You can add in jalapenos if you want some extra kick!
Yum! This looks like it could be tweaked just a little and be a great vegetarian slow cooker meal. I'm actually a bit scared of my slow cooker so I am going to try this one! :D
ReplyDeleteThis looks amazing!! Putting it on my list!
ReplyDeleteLooks tasty, I love using the slow cooker. The only thing is you need to start cooking before you are really hungry :)
ReplyDelete