Meet the Parents

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Dear Brighton,

You are almost here and we can't wait to meet you! I can't wait to smell your sweet baby scent, kiss those cheeks of yours, look into your eyes and feel the warmth of you in my arms. I know how much I love you now, and I know that love will be exponentially larger once you are officially in the world.

Your daddy and I think about who you will be all the time - what your personality will be like, your disposition, the woman you'll become. We know you'll be your own person, but we also know that our influence on you will be great and there will be pieces of you that are pieces of us, whether genetically or because we have been entrusted to raise you.

Since we have such great influence over you (and believe me we are taking that very seriously), I wanted to take a moment and "introduce" your parents to you. I want you to know who we are now, even though you won't read this until you're much, much older.

Let's start first with your daddy. 


Your daddy is a hard worker, is very intelligent and highly ambitious. He has a lot of ideas and is always thinking about how to make our lives better. He can build almost anything with wood and can fix almost anything that is broken.  He is really, really good at his job, but has other gifts -  he is a creative and artistic videographer and editor. Actually anything your father tries to do seems to work. He is just so smart.

Your father is the nicest man I have ever met. He never says an unkind word about anyone. He is sensitive to the hurts of others and a great encourager. He speaks only when he has something of value to say. I love listening to his heart because God has given him a lot of wisdom about life and how the world works. He is gracious to everyone he meets and loves his friends and family very much. Anyone who really, truly knows your daddy has nothing but good things to say about him.

Lastly, your daddy has a wild streak. He has a sense of adventure and ambition that cannot be contained. He channels it into being active and athletic, but he also has wild dreams for our life. He is a wonderful husband and I know he'll be a wonderful father to you. He loves God deeply, he loves me deeply and he already loves you so much. I hope you turn out like him.

Now onto me, your mama. 
I can only describe me the way I see myself, so this will be a little skewed. 

I am a true Southern woman - I like to cook, entertain and host parties. I am an extrovert and I play hard. I love being with my close friends and family. I am loyal and protective of the people I love. I've been described as a lioness - I'll do anything for my friends and family and I'll attack if you mess with them. I don't have a high tolerance for b.s. or unnecessary drama. I want to be a person that brings light and life to others so I tend to be an encourager more often than not.

I work hard too. I'm ambitious and tend to share my opinions freely - this gets me in trouble sometimes, so I'm learning how to pick my battles and keep my mouth shut more. I love to be creative, but in a different way than your daddy - I am a writer. I have a masters in writing and I hope to start writing again outside of this blog.

I am passionate and strong-willed (your daddy calls it stubborn). I want to be the kind of Godly woman you look up to. I love Jesus and I love your daddy with everything in me. I love you too - so much it feels like my heart might burst.


Your father and I want to live life to the fullest and we want to be the best parents to you possible. We are trying to learn from others and the Lord how to best raise and rear you. We will make mistakes along the way since we're not perfect, but we hope to give you a childhood that blesses you both spiritually and emotionally. 

We hope you get the best sides of both of us, of who we are as people. Our hopes and dreams for your life are already so big and we cannot wait to see the person you'll become.

We love you so very much and can't wait to meet you. 

Love, 
Mom & Dad

10 comments:

  1. So beautiful, Kara. Just amazing. I am in my office and I'm about to cry :')

    God Bless your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is one blessed girl to have you two for parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a Beautiful letter to sweet baby Brighton! She will be so lucky to have you two as parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful letter- you're both going to be great parents! I hope your delivery is smooth and everything that you hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. print this off and put it in her baby book. the last paragraph about your husband made me tear up! it is so wonderful to watch your husband love your kids. you will want to cry all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!!! And now I can't wait to meet the little princess that makes these two adorable people parents. :) Getting more and more excited for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You two are going to make great parents Kara! Its crazy how you learn as you go, and the control freak in me actually had to learn to be "flexible"...Oh what God does to grow you (me) in the midst of parenting. Praying for you both as you bring your sweet little one into this world. She is already SO blessed! Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is so beautiful.
    Brighton is lucky to have Matt and you as parents.
    Laurence

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post so much :)
    You two are such terrific parents already! I keep thinking of you a lot lately, and I'm so looking forward to hearing of Brighton's arrival. It does seem strange seeing as I don't even "know" you in real life though!
    Your blog is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So precious! I am so glad I found your blog and have been touched to tears on so many occasions. I pray that your last days as a family of two are abundantly blessed, and that the arrival of your long awaited daughter is smooth and intimate and precious.

    1 Samuel 1:27-28
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition which I asked of Him. Therefore I also have lent him to the Lord; as long as he lives he shall be lent to the Lord.” So they worshiped the Lord there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground