If you are an American, then you have probably heard a little (or a lot) about the recent controversy over some statements the President of the fast food chain Chick-fil-A, Dan Cathy, said to The Baptist Press about what the company stands for - traditional family values according to Biblical principles, meaning traditional marriage between a man and a woman.
Those remarks, as well as some news about where the company donates their profits (to some anti-gay organizations) caused a massive firestorm in the media and among the LGBT community. It is a continuation of the culture wars between those who believe our American government and the world as a whole should live according to conservative/traditional (i.e. Christian) principles, and those who believe that one religion cannot and should not define our rights and privileges as people.
When all the drama hit the news and social media, I honestly didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it. (The constant political talk on Facebook alone is enough to make me want to delete my account.) Chick-fil-A is one of the only fast food restaurants we eat at and I was fully aware that the company is run on Christian values - they are closed on Sundays for pete's sake. But when Mike Huckabee dubbed August 1st as "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" and asked that all Christians support the company by buying their food in response to the backlash of Cathy's comments, I got angry.
Look, I believe in First Amendment Rights. Cathy had every right to express his opinion in that interview about what he and his company stand for, and his company is permitted to give their money to whatever causes they want to.
What I do not believe in is oppressing fellow members of my society through "supporting" a business or cause. What happened on Wednesday was hurtful to our LGBT community who live under the everyday scrutiny and oppression. Wednesday's events were not the expression of loving our neighbor, which is what Christians are commanded to do. Whether Huckabee and the "supporters" of Chick-fil-A intended to hurt others through their buying power is irrelevant - those who stood in line for 3+ hours to eat fatty fried foods because they also believe in traditional family values inadvertently and deeply hurt the LGBT community.
Maybe you were one of those who bought a chicken sandwich on August 1st. I assume you'll that say you were just supporting a company whose values match yours; or maybe you were supporting free speech; or maybe you stood in line because you love God and you felt the need to stand up for your religion. Fine - but in your standing up for what you believe, you demonstrated a kind of hate that cannot be undone or forgotten. You might not have intended for your actions to be perceived as hateful, but they were to a group of people, our LGBT brothers and sisters, that God loves just as much as he loves you.
My wise friend Jenn summed it up perfectly: "
As my pastor said last Sunday about "Chick-fil-A Gate", Jesus doesn't need us standing up for him, he needs us to stand up for the oppressed and marginalized. He needs us to love our neighbor as He loves us - unconditionally. (You can watch the sermon "Don't Stand Up for Jesus" here - seriously it is so good).
I don't understand why Christians continue to think that the world should and will live by our religious beliefs.
We are not called to define our society and government by what we believe is right and wrong, we are called to be the embodiment and demonstration of God's love to all the world.
And I don't think buying a chicken sandwich on a specific "supporter" day is the kind of love God is talking about. It is much, much more than that.
- He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8
- "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' - Matthew 22:36-40
- "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." - John 13:34-35
- If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. - 1 Corinthians 13:1-3
This is exactly how I feel about the situation. I'm so glad you posted this and I really hope many read this and share it. With that kind of love and kindness in your heart you are destined to be one amazing momma!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post that so eloquently sums up the underlying issue. So many times I wondered "what message are people trying to send by going to Chick-Fil-A today?" I assumed it was "I'm a Christian and I stand up for my beliefs and for God and for free speech" but as you said, at such a cost to the LGBT community!! I believe in free speech too, but not more than I believe in not taking away basic human rights from another human. Well said!!
ReplyDeleteSo well said! My small group talked about this last night and came to similar conclusions. So sad that THIS is what Christians come to be known for :(
ReplyDeleteAwesome! It is so great to see someone who really understands that this was a hateful thing these very "christian" people did.
ReplyDeleteI was so saddened by the thought people waited in line 30+ minutes for a chicken
YES! I agree wholeheartedly. I have been appalled and so saddened by the actions of these so-called Christians this week. And to add insult to injury, they are so darn proud of it! I imagine most will say they patronized Chick-fil-A on Wednesday to support Mr. Cathy's right to "free speech," but that is such a cop-out. They went out of hatred and fear of "otherness."
ReplyDeleteI know some who went because they truly wanted to support the company and not intentionally hurt anyone. Not every Christian is a bigot; but to my point (and yours) that support was and still is perceived as a slap in the face.
DeleteThis is awesome! But it's also so sad that these people are trying to be "christian" when they're doing exactly opposite. We should be donating time and money to help those in need. Not standing in a 3+ hour line to show somebody they're less of a person because of how they are.
ReplyDeleteYou so summed up my feelings, that I couldn't find the words to explain just how I was feeling about this whole issue! Bless you... couldn't have said it better!
ReplyDeleteLOVE this post.
ReplyDeleteI totally see your heart in this, and totally agree with loving thy neighbor. I do have to say I have LGBT's in my life who I've shared this discussion with and have no issue with God's definition of marriage and my opinion on it, because they know my heart and in passing judgement on them I'd be doing so to myself. The issue with the whole Chic Fil A drama is that people are upset about a opinion given in answer to a question and hypocritically making a judgement on a judgement. The only good that has come from this media dramatization is that many Americans are appreciating their freedom of speech.;)
ReplyDeleteAgree 150%. My LGBT friends know what I believe and carry no issue with it, but they issues with how my fellow Christina are taking the whole thing too far.
DeleteThis was a great post on this topic; you echoed completely my sentiments about Facebook, too. Since when was that created to be a political forum!? I'm so over that! Your post and Matthew Turner's post (it's on matthewpaulturner.net if you haven't read it, and it is excellently worded) are the best posts I've read from this particular side of the issue, and I am glad you could put into words what so many of us are thinking. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for this. This is why I continue to read your blog. I get upset about the hate many Christians are demonstrating to others. But I realize no amount of reasoning, or science will change their minds. I wish more Christians thought the same as you.
ReplyDeleteI have many family members I can't get into these conversations with because they just can't be reasoned with. One of them out right said that the Bible is their science and they don't believe otherwise.
As a Christian I hope that I convey what you said at the end of this post: ...he needs us to stand up for the oppressed and marginalized. He needs us to love our neighbor as He loves us - unconditionally.
I really love to read your blog and hear about your thoughts on different aspects of life. I, too, am incredibly sick of hearing about this topic. I feel like both sides are refusing to understand one another's ideas and that is why we are hearing SO MUCH about it. This is your blog, your piece of the internet, but I can't say that I agree 100% with what you are saying or that I loved this post. I am just sick of it all and hope to hear it put to rest very soon.
ReplyDeletePlease know I would never expect you to love everything I wrote here. :) I'm glad you enjoy my blog and I feel privileged to have such great readers!!
DeleteDo you know that the lgbt community held a same-sex kissing day today aug 3rd? I'm so sick of people ( you included) saying Dan is professing hate by his opinion. Did he refuse to serve gay people. Um no! I'm sure the CEOs of all sorts Of companies give money to causes you don't agree with, so does that make it okay to run them out of town?
ReplyDeleteI have never seen a "community" who professes so much openness and tolerance bash Christians so openly.
Yes, as Christians we're supposed to love, however we aren't supposed to let people walk all over are values and push their agenda. I think you might need to look into supporting family like Dan Cathy and get on the side of your fellow god loving Christian.
If it's upsetting you so bad then why are you reading her blog? Just walk (or in this case "click") away. I mean why read something that you know will make you angry? Just saying.
DeleteAriel thank you for sharing your opinion. If you read the post I am not saying what Cathy said or what all those Christians did was hateful, I said it was PERCEIVED as hateful. I also stated that Cathy is absolutely permitted to give his money (and his company's profits) to whomever he chooses.
DeleteThe point I am making is that in an act of "support" Christians alienated a group of already margenilized people. It was not perceived as loving. Did they have a right to do it? Of course! Were all those Christians buying chicken bigots and haters of our LGBT community? I don't think so. But I believe the action of the day hurt a lot of people and it could have been avoided. I am not calling for Chick fil A to be run out of town, not did I say that Christians should allow others to walk all over our beliefs. I think you are inferring things based on what is happening in the media but those are not statements I made here.
In the future, I would ask that you please be respectful in your comments. You have a right to disagree with me and state your opinion as I welcome healthy debate, but there is no need to accuse me, direct me or say you're sick of me - you can disagree with me without attacking me.
Again, thank you for your opinion and God Bless.
Once again you are able to put words to something I cannot properly express. Thank you for an amazing post. Hope you don't mind if I share it with others.
ReplyDeleteI'm honored you would share it! Hey do you know my friend Jenn Jamsky?
DeleteKara, thank you so much for this wonderfully written post. God is really using you through your blog. I am an avid reader, and I feel like we are old friends. I truly appreciate your candor and big heart.
ReplyDeleteAmber
I'm sorry Kara, really wasn't trying to accuse you. It just seems everyone in this debate is siding with the lgbt and the Christians get made fun of and chastised for hurting people. I, as a Christian feel that holding a day to support your company is not offensive to anyone, but what was Offensive was the same sex kissing day and them calling us bigots. I really resent that. Sorry again, I do like the rest of your blog and also respect your opinion. Good luck with everything in your pregnancy
ReplyDeleteThanks Ariel. I agree that there are a lot of stereotypes and name calling in all of this and not all Christians who bought a chicken sandwich on Aug 1 were bigots. I just felt like we as Christians are called to act in love the way Christ would. I understand your frustration and as always, you are welcome to share your thoughts and opinions here!
DeleteHave a great day.
Thank you for this wonderfully worded blog post. You have eloquently said what I see as the heart of the issue in a way that I found to be non-judgmental and supportive. Thank you again.
ReplyDeleteMay I share this with my friends on Facebook?
DeleteOf course!
DeleteI really love this response!
ReplyDeleteI'm not even Christian and I love this! I have a friend who wrote something in relation to this, saying he would still eat there to support their freedom of speech (and that it was wrong for them to be banned, I'm not sure if that's correct, from creating or having their franchises in certain areas, which I will agree with, the first and latter) but I didn't like certain things about it. I wish I had your knowledge or you had participated in that conversation. This is so well put! :)
Kara:
ReplyDeleteI am *so* thankful for you posting this! You have, in so many ways, been able to share what I had in my heart as well!!!
Regardless of my own political and religious views, it makes me sad to see the overwhelming majority religion in this country feel like they need to make a very public stand and let their opinions be loudly heard and seen. And then complain about feeling persecuted despite they very minority group whose rights they're working to take away. There is a true imbalance of power, and the more powerful group uses that in a mission that, yes, is perceived as hateful. How is that so very different from bullying? And to think of all the closeted gay kids who were dragged out to Chick-fil-A , or who drove past to see that display... That's what makes me sad.
ReplyDeleteAs always, thank you for writing and sharing your heart and your Christian values in a gentle, loving, non-persecuting way.
That sermon was lovely, edifying, and challenging, Kara. Thank you for sharing. It blessed my heart.
ReplyDeleteI SO FEEL THE SAME WAY! I was confused myself as to what the hype of Chick-fil-a drama was, and I used to work there and love it, however my heart was deeply broken for those who felt unloved and misunderstood by the "stand" that Chick-fil-a promoted, I suppose out of ignorance. I have been praying and releasing peace to LGBT, and whoever else was hurt by the act. We need grace and mercy for this one. Jesus will reveal Himself, who He really is on the earth. There has to be something that rises up to demonstrate His actual heart towards all of His children. I know He will do it, and He will ask each of us! Love has a voice, Love has a Name: Jesus!
ReplyDelete