Hospital Bag

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Alright friends and readers, I need your advice: What do I bring to the hospital for labor/delivery?

So far I have packed the following:

For Brighton - a few onesies, two hats, some baby socks, 2 soft swaddling blankets.

For Me - toiletries, flip flops (for the shower/bathroom), bathrobe, nursing bra and nursing tank, those washable nursing pads, 2 pair of underwear I can throw out if needed, big pads, a comfortable outfit to wear home, a tank and t-shirt to wear post delivery once I get to change out of my gown, insurance card, email list for the announcement, chapstick and nipple cream.

For Matt - change of clothes, toiletries for him, our camera, our laptop.

Is there anything I am missing? Anything I said I was bringing that I should leave at home?

Thanks for your advice!!

41 comments:

  1. I turn to Amalah for advice in all things: here's her list from her third trip to the hospital.
    http://www.amalah.com/amalah/2011/05/the-third-time-around-hospital-bag.html
    Also, have the seen the adorable delivery gowns at Pretty Pushers? I found a great deal on one at Zulily but you can get them on their website. The first time around I was naked (homebirth) but this time around I might be in a hospital, so I wanted to get something nicer to wear. They are expensive-ish for something you potentially throw out after but I decided it was worth it.
    http://prettypushers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had any babies so I have no idea what you should pack but I just wanted to say I am so excited for you!!! I can't believe it's so close! I can't wait to see pictures of Brighton and read your birth story! But take your time posting everything, you spend all the time with your sweet girl that you want before getting back to the real world! She's almost here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pillows or boppy/my brest friend if you're planning to BF. It's a lot easier when you dont have to worry about trying to hold your baby up to you and get a latch. I'd suggest a non tight cotton sundress in case you go into a c-section you won't want anything around your waist. Also, bring aquaphor or nipple cream if you're planning to nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say bring a loose sundress or maxi dress with you in case you dont want ot wear shorts/pants or end up with a c-section. I also brought dry shampoo and Dove Wipes. I had a scheduled c-section and knew I wouldnt be allowed to shower for 2-3 days after my surgery, so the dry shampoo was key, and the wipes kept me feeling semi-fresh. Id also throw some snacks in there -granola bars, protein bars, fruit, juice boxes or capri suns, etc. I had to wait FOREVER between meals and there were times that I was so hungry I actually got faint. I sent DH out to get snacks (and additional food) and that helped a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found all the clothing I brought to the hospital for the baby was unnecessary except for his going home outfit! Also, the underwear is pretty unnecessary because they provide really comfortable GIGANTIC throwaway underwear for you at the hospital - save the ones you have for when you are home! Most hospitals provide pretty much everything you need except for stuff to get you home/toiletries/entertainment! Packing the hospital bag make sit feel so official doesn't it?! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bring a folder for paperwork that you'll need to bring home from the hospital, to keep it neat. Also, maybe candy or some little treat to leave for the nurses when you leave, as a thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our hospital gowns weren't that bad and I prefered to wear that over my own clothes because it was way more comfortable and easier for nursing. If you have a boppy bring that, it's so much easier to nurse! Also, I brought my own underwear but they give you these mesh underwear that I ended up wearing and even asked them for extra for my first few days at home. Don't forget phone chargers. Also, we did take a few outfits for the baby but in the first few hours she spit up on her hat (not sure how that worked?!), two outfits and her gloves. They make you keep them swaddled in the hospital when you aren't nursing/changing her so I would skip those outfits and gloves and just bring one for her to come home in. Maybe a few cute hats. Sorry for rambling :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second the comment about forgetting the underwear and pads. The hospital will keep you fully supplied with those. But, I'm also one to think "better sage than sorry," so if you feel better bringing them than by all means pack whatever you want to feel as comfy as you can!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked wearing my own underwear and pads. More comfortable for me.

      Delete
  9. i 2nd bringing a folder for all the paper work-there's tons!! and slippers or socks with grippers on the bottom...the hospital gives you slipper socks, but they were always uncomfortable to me...although don't wear really nice slippers during labor...when my water broke, I soaked mine pretty good and i couldn't wear them again until i got home and washed them ;). Also your own pillow for yourself and your husband...the hospital ones aren't very comfy and especially for your husband since he will probably be sleeping on some uncomfortable sleeper couch/chair having his own pillow might help a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bring an extra bag to take home all the stuff from the hospital. We took everything- seriously, they gave us so much stuff! Don't forget all your chargers too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boppy Pillow, this will be a life saver when figuring out the breastfeeding or you want your baby snuggling close to you but you need your two hands to eat or fill out paperwork.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nipple shield are a must until you get the hang of it, and nipple cream with pain relief is helpful. Also dry shampoo. It may take a little time before you feel up for a shower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you actually need to use nipple shields, the hospital will supply them.

      My baby went straight to NICU after an emergency c-section, I didn't get to hold him, or try to breastfeed until the next day. There was only the NICU nurse there and she didn't provide much help to get him latch, when she realised I was having some difficulty she handed me nipple shields. I found them more of a hindrance than of any benefit, and quickly pocketed them.

      It took a few days, but we got the hang of breastfeeding in the end. My son turns 1 at the end of the month, and we are still breastfeeding :)

      I found this website: www.kellymom.com INCREDIBLY helpful in the early weeks especially, and still use it as a resource now.

      I didn't mean to have such a rant here -- Apologies!

      Delete
  13. Definitely bring your Boppy! Also, invest in disposable nursing pads for the first week or so. When your milk comes in, you will be going through those suckers at lightening speed! I found the cloth pads great for later, though, for sure. Just go ahead and wear the ugly mesh underwear the hospital gives you: you won't care about fashion at that point and they're just going to get trashed. The hospital will give you pads and a perineal cleansing bottle as well. Also, if you are planning to pump, bring it with you to the hospital so that the lactation consultant can give you a little run-through before you go home. Slippers that you won't mind throwing away as soon as you leave the hospital, little mittens for Brighton to protect her from her own razor sharp nails little babies have, and snacks for both you and Matt, chargers for cellphones and cameras and such. If you are going to change out of your hospital gown and into your own clothes, make sure they are nursing friendly. Honestly, as a first mom and breastfeeder, do yourself a favor and just wear the hospital gown. It will save you so much time and energy and make things a lot easier on you!! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thx Kara for posting this! All the comments are real helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with the "wear the hospital gown if you're breastfeeding" comments--truly, it's just easier. If you're going to pump at some point, bring it, so the lactation consultant can help show you how. Definitely go with whatever your lact. consultant recommends, but mine told me to NEVER use any kind of nipple cream--anything can potentially clog your ducts and give you mastitis. She recommended just rubbing some breast milk on sore nipples and using "Soothies"--http://www.lansinoh.com/products/soothies-by-lansinoh-gel-pads (you can put them in the fridge to get cold too--they feel so good on sore nipples!!)
    Just my advice--but, I nursed exclusively for 7 months and never got mastitis :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boppy. I don't like wearing the hospital gown because it has HUGE slits and it's VERY easy to flash visitors. Plus wearing my own clothes helped me feel more "normal". Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also used lanolin (a lot of it) with both of my kids and never had any clogged ducts because of it.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, another thing, the lanolin can stain the reusable nursing pads, so I stick with disposible until the pain calms down some.

      Delete
  17. Take some swim trunks for Matt, in case he needs to help you in the shower (either during labor or after delivery).

    Also, take a couple of outfits for yourself for in the hospital and going home. You never know how comfy something will or won't be after delivery. My mom had to run out and buy a nightgown for me after I had my daughter because the pj pants I brought just weren't cutting it after my emergency c-section.

    If you're delivering at a CMC hospital, they'll have tons of stuff for you - diapers, wipes, pads, mesh undies (take them!!). And absolutely take the peri bottle they give you!!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thought of another one. Take an overnight cotton nursing bra. That way you can wear it under your gown w/o having to worry about the flashing plus you can shove those pads in without worrying about leaking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Boppy Pillow, your own pillow and maybe some snacks. Don't forget phone/camera/computer charger!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maybe a cute coming home outfit for Brighton? Something more than a onesie? Definitely not a requirement, just something for cute photos. And don't forget the camera. :) And you may want either your computer or a notebook and pen to write down your birth story. It leaves your head pretty quickly so jot down everything you can think of while you can. :)

    I'm so excited for you! I can't believe your big day is coming so soon! I can't wait to see photos of your precious girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Washcloth for your forehead and neck, a couple of bendy straws (to make consuming liquid easier), honeysticks for an energy boost, ziplock bags (in case you puke in transit)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your own pillow is nice, and socks can be useful. Also, a hairdryer if you feel like drying your hair after a shower. That first shower after delivery is magical.

    ReplyDelete
  23. LABOR SUPPLIES.

    I bought a box of italian ice for during and after labor.
    Clear italian ice because they don't want you vomitting, and mistaking your cherry snow cone for blood.
    What I did was label my food and stick in the freezer until the day came.
    When the day came, as soon as I arrived at the hospital, I told Chris to shove it into the local freezer there which worked perfectly.
    All was great.
    That and candy is pretty good during labor since you can't eat much.
    Toothbrush and toothpaste.
    Your mouth will feel nasty.
    And you don't want nasty mouth kissing baby.
    Joking, but I felt so self conscious.
    "Oh god! He probably thinks my breath smells like poop."
    Thinking my own baby was judging me.
    So not happening.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Also, for bottoms to wear post delivery, you will want something VERY loose around- everywhere.
    Borrowing a pair of hanes sleeppants from Matt would probably be best.
    Or go out and buy some.
    So handy.
    Always Infinity night pads are the best to use when the hospital pads run out.
    They run expensive, but are SO worth it.
    They wouldn't be huge and puffy, so thin and could hold a lot in.
    That is all.
    For now.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good points! As much as I loved the boppy, my love for it didn't start till my baby was a month old. I used a pillow and the hospital room will have plenty of them.
    I brought a nightgown that had a henley style top, easy for breastfeeding. Take that squirt bottle home that they give you for bathroom use...that thing is awesome. Tucks pads are necessary if you have a vaginal birth too. My milk took nearly 4 days to come in, it varies so don't freak out. Oh, and snacks are good...even if you need to sneak some during labor. It's rather silly hospitals totally limit what you can eat. It's hard work physically!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - you will definitely want to take home that squirt bottle and the tucks pads were my lifesaver!! Do pack snacks. .. you will be ravenous once you are finally allowed to eat again and you won't want to wait on the hospital service! :)

      Delete
  26. Do not forget to pack a bag for Matt as well. My husband stayed with me in the hospital so we had a bag ready for him as well with, Pajamas, Toiletries and extra clothes and snacks. Honestly, it all goes by so fast and I did not use half of the things I packed. I loved the mesh panties from the hospital and their pads. I was more comfortable in loose sweats and a nursing tank top and cardigan on the second day. I had to wear nipple guards (to air my cracked nipples) so I would recommend a button down cardigan or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  27. No idea what you should pack :) but...

    I think it might be helpful though to make lists of who you want to let know of the newborn's arrival so that your husband can do it for you in case you are feeling tired.

    It could also be nice to bring a notebook with you. In case you want to write letter's to your baby or people visiting want to write down a message for your child?

    I know you hace your laptop with you...but it might be nice to have a beautiful notebook with you.

    I am aware that everything I am commenting is so 'extra'...but..just in case...some sweets/small favour for people visiting, specially kids visiting?

    ReplyDelete
  28. You should definitely bring a deck of cards or a board game in case you find yourself waiting awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My two things that I was thankful we had were a robe (I see you got that) and my breast pump. Good luck packing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. pack one bag for the delivery room (with stuff you will want in the delivery room and immediately following) and then everything else, so that way you aren't dragging bags to postpartum. Also pac a dress in the event that you have an emergency c-section, i wasn't planning on having one, but ended up needing one and wished id had a dress because even maternity pants hurt to put on near my incision!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I didn't read though all of these comments so this is most likely redundant. I delivered at presbyterian downtown charlotte and this is what you need/ don't need and what you need to take home WITH you from the hospital:
    1. Don't take your own underwear. They provide this super sexy (bahaha) mesh throw away kind and they are awesome. Get as many from them as you can for when you go home. Just trust me.
    ~Also, they give you pads at the hospital that are heavy enough to handle the after birth situation. Save them for when you get home.
    2. Take cheap flipflops with you, if you are weird about showers.
    3. It gets on the nurses nerves when parent cloth the babes... Take one or two for pictures and the take home outfit. It will make everyone's life easier.
    4. If you have a vaginal delivery MAKE SURE YOU ASK FOR A SITZ BATH and take some witch hazel with you. And take that thing home with you. Some hospitals have witch hazel, some dont. But the sitz bath is great for healing down there as well if you get hemroids.
    5. Make sure you take the head scrubber they will use on you babe as well as the snot sucker. My oldest is almost 2 and we use that thing all the time. The ones from the store just don't work. Get your hubby to be in charge of asking them for it.
    6. Take snacks for the hubby. They will take great care of you, but not him :(
    7. After delivery, ask your nurse to put a sign on the door to leave you alone and take a nap!
    8. Dont' forget your baby book for the babe and get them to do foot prints for when they are doing it for the legal stuff.

    Mostly, relax and have fun! You will remember this day forever and people will ALWAYS ask you about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I didn't use most of what was in my bag (probably like most ladies) and most of what you need has been mentioned but my life savers were: my own night gowns for after delivery, makeup, hair brush, and tucks pads. The first few items I listed seem silly but they made me feel like a human again after that first shower (literally scariest and also BEST shower of my life) and the last item was something I didn't have but WISH I had brought!!

    You are SO close, good luck to the 3 of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. A really cute pillow case...for the background of the pics of course!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. i read on a baby center thread today that some women have used adult diapers for postpartum. it will be weird, but i think it'll be nice to not have to worry about any accidents.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground