Work Wardrobe: Pregnancy Edition

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Disclaimer: This is not a fashion blog, nor will it ever be! But I wanted to share some of my maternity wardrobe and my shopping tips with y'all since I think I did bought some great items and didn't break the bank!

I work in corporate America at a very conservative company. When I found out I was pregnant, I started to panic about my work wardrobe. Normally I can get away with dress pants or a pencil skirt with a pretty top or sweater or a knee-length sheath dress. I also wear suits on occasion and mostly wear high heels.  But how was I going to keep my style (and not break the bank) now that my body would go through a massive change over a few seasons?!?

I spent a lot of time looking for clothes that looked professional, well-made and attractive; that I could wear in both the second and third trimester and that didn't break my budget. I ended up purchasing the following specifically for my work wardrobe:
  • 3 pair of dress pants - 2 black and 1 brown
  • 1 black pencil skirt
  • 5 dressy tops
  • 6 dresses
  • I had also purchased a few plain maternity t-shirts from H&M and wore those with dress pants and a pretty necklace on days I could be more casual. 
  • I also had one casual dress from H&M that I wore with closed toe heels or flats and a cardigan on a few Fridays. 
In total, I spent about $400 on a work wardrobe that spanned across winter, spring and summer! 

Here were some of my favorite pieces/looks (anything in red was maternity clothing): 
Dress - A Pea in the Pod / Heels - Michael Shannon
Cardigan - Target / Shirt - Destination Maternity / Pants - Gap Maternity / Heels - Can't remember!
Shirt - Motherhood Maternity / Pants - Gap / Belt - H&M / Heels - Steve Madden
T-shirt - H&M / Pants - Target / Necklace - Francesca's / Peep Toes - Can't remember
Dress - Motherhood Maternity / Flats - Michael Shannon / Bracelet - J.Crew / Watch - Michael Kors / Earrings - Aldo
Blazer - Ann Taylor Loft / Dress - Motherhood Maternity / Flats - Aldo / Watch - Michael Kors
Shirt - Ann Taylor Loft / Skirt - Destination Maternity / Peep Toes - Can't remember / Sunglasses - Ray Ban
Dress - Top Shop / Heels - Michael Shannon
Dress - Gap Maternity / Heels - Steve Madden
Dress - Motherhood Maternity / Necklace - F21 / Heels - Can't remember!
How I was able to save money:
I didn't purchase everything I needed at once and waited for sales to get some of the basics I needed (like the black wrap dress and black pants from Gap - both purchased on massive sale).  I found a high-end consignment store in my city whose maternity section didn't move as quickly so the store owner was willing to discount items. Also, I was able to wear my normal work pants with a Bella Band up until I was about 24-25 weeks, and most of my long tank tops and shirts worked well with a cute cardigan or suit jacket.

My advice to anyone who has to purchase a work wardrobe for corporate America: shop consignment stores (become friendly with the owner so they'll call you when new stuff comes in), take advantage of sales, borrow if you can and don't be afraid to buy items that are non-maternity, but can be belted or have an empire waist!

Next post: my "casual" maternity wardrobe.

4 comments:

  1. you look great on each picture and could easily become a fashion mentor!

    Hope baby is ok,

    Laurence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you share the name of your high-end maternity consignment store? I've been to the Whimsicle Wardrobe in Cornelius and am wondering if there is another one in town??
    Thanks,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Womb Maternity on Providence Rd - you'll love it!!

      Delete
  3. Kara, you kept up your style, even with a baby belly in tow! You look great, I love all of your "work" styles!!!

    yay for fashionable mommas :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground