This is a little series on my experiences in breastfeeding - the fun, the not so fun and what I have learned. For Part 1 click here.
I started breastfeeding at Brighton's birth, when she was less than an hour old. My L&D nurse helped position her on a pillow next to me and within a minute she was latched and nursing. The first 48 hours of nursing was fairly easy because my maternity nurses were all trained in lactation, I had the opportunity to see a lactation consultant (LC) and I had taken a class on it. I also had an appointment with the LC that works at our pediatrician's office in Brighton's first week of life.
Although I had all that help, there were still lots of hiccups in the first month. And although Brighton latched and nursed well, the first month was really hard. Here are some of the things I learned:
Although I had all that help, there were still lots of hiccups in the first month. And although Brighton latched and nursed well, the first month was really hard. Here are some of the things I learned:
The first week is the hardest
Even if you take a class, even if you read a million books, even if you have an LC come in and help you, breastfeeding the first week is hard. You're exhausted, sore, and possibly stitched up somewhere on your body from labor; you have a tiny newborn who has the instinctual need to suck, but doesn't know how to nurse; and it hurts. Even with the proper latch, my nipples hurt due to the rush of hormones in my body and the fact that my baby was sucking on them every 2-3 hours. The hurting nipples started to fade around the 3 week mark; but the first week was the hardest for me!
When your milk comes in, things will change
My milk came in around the fourth night of Brighton's life. It came in so intensely that I woke up at 1a.m. massively engorged and leaking milk everywhere, My boobs were so big that my nipples went flat - so much so that Brighton couldn't latch on! After 10 minutes of her screaming at my breast, and me bawling that I couldn't feed my baby, I handed her over to Matt with a bottle of formula (praise Jesus for those pre-made liquid formula bottles they send home with you "just in case") and quickly assembled my breast pump. I got almost 6 ounces just from 15 minutes of pumping. The next two feedings (3am and 5am) were a combination of her still scream-crying as she tried to latch on to my engorged breast and me bawling that I was losing the ability to breastfeed my daughter. Matt fed her another bottle, this time the milk I had pumped a few hours before, while I pumped again.
Thank goodness I had an appointment with the lactation consultant the next morning, who reassured me that I would not lose the ability to nurse my daughter - my milk coming in and coming in so fast was just a bump in the road. She showed me how to get her to latch properly again and gave me some good advice if I continued to have an oversupply. Ever since that 12 hours of hell, my milk supply has been steady, but I have had a lot of leaking, a lot of engorgement and a lot of moments of frustration.
Thank goodness I had an appointment with the lactation consultant the next morning, who reassured me that I would not lose the ability to nurse my daughter - my milk coming in and coming in so fast was just a bump in the road. She showed me how to get her to latch properly again and gave me some good advice if I continued to have an oversupply. Ever since that 12 hours of hell, my milk supply has been steady, but I have had a lot of leaking, a lot of engorgement and a lot of moments of frustration.
My breastpump is awesome
As I mentioned here, I have the Medela Freestyle Pump. I love it - it was a pricey electric version, but since I am going back to work full-time, I needed one that was hands free and fast.
I was so thankful to have it when my milk first came in - it was literally a life saver (and a sanity saver). And after that first week, I learned how to use it daily to build up a freezer stash. Now, I pump daily right after the morning feeding (around 7-9am). If I miss a day of pumping, I pump twice the next day - once in the morning and again in the evening after she goes to bed. The pump is pretty fast - I can normally get about 3 ounces in 20 minutes - and it's easy to assemble and program.
Breastfeeding in public is an art form
For the first few weeks, I could not figure out how to feed her in a public setting without flashing someone. You have a tiny, wobbly headed, fussy baby, a cover that goes over your head and their body, a nursing bra or tank with that tiny locking clasp, a breast pad and the world around you to contend with! It was so hard! I watched a few of my friends do it and paid attention to the order of how they got set up and tried to imitate them. It took about 10 times before I got it down pat.
I still struggle with nursing in public well especially when Brighton is a little tired and not latching strongly, or I forgot my nursing cover. It's an art form and I still have to practice.
Surround yourself with support
I think I would have given up the first month if it wasn't for the encouragement of my husband, my friends and my family. Nursing can be an isolating, lonely activity, especially when it's just you, the baby and the night to surround you. I can remember nursing Brighton alone in her room in the middle of the night and just crying due to the exhaustion and loneliness. After a few nights of this I made the decision to nurse her lying down in our bed so I was no longer alone (plus nursing laying down is so easy!) Even though it wakes Matt up when I bring her in the bed, he makes sure that I have everything I need - a burp cloth, my iPhone (for the Baby Connect app) and always reaches over to rub my arm or head while I'm nursing her. These little acts of affection and encouragement have helped so much. Also, my friends have made it easy to nurse in front of them and they have passed along tips and tricks as needed. Their kind words have helped so much. Breastfeeding is hard work and having a support system has been vital.
I've only been nursing for 8 weeks, so I know I have a lot more to learn in the coming months. I'll continue to share my experiences and advice in future posts!
Anything you have learned from breastfeeding in that first month that you'd like to share in the comments section? Advice and ideas are always welcome!
i have found bfing to be the most interesting part of my post-labor body. i missed my feeding class because i delivered preterm and had to call for a refund, hah, so i don't know if it would have helped me more, but i ended up seeing a few consultants after i went home. i learned that things keep changing even when i'm 3 months out, which took me off guard. for instance, i used to get engorged every few hours if i didn't pump or nurse but as of a few weeks ago that's no longer the case. i started having an overactive letdown a month ago and that wreaked havoc on my baby's latch, which we had to relearn/correct. so many other things that have come and gone since birth but i just found it fascinating that i saw so many changes even up to now at 12 weeks post partum!
ReplyDeleteI just want to thank you for sharing this. So grateful! I know for you it hasn't been easy, but to know that others are willing to share (like you) really helps me feel comfident that I won't always have it all together when my little one comes along in April.
ReplyDeleteI highly recommend getting a pump. If you're not going to pump regularly (not going back to work, etc), it is still totally worth it to rent one for the first month until you can make sense of the whole process. Use the LC! Call them, they will help you. Go see them. It's worth it and some insurance will pay for it. If you're going to stay at home, you may consider giving your baby a bottle during the day--not just from Dad at night. If she can take a bottle from you, it will give you more freedom. I didn't do this and it made things hard when my LO decided to stop taking a bottle all together. We were inseparable until she weaned!
ReplyDeleteit took me and my second baby a full 8 weeks to get good at it. i saw the lc about 4 times and had lots of support. i wanted to give up, but i knew it was going to get better. not giving in to the sleep is really hard too, but in order to keep a good supply and the baby interested you can't take too many bottle/formula breaks. that's hard on momma, but it is so worth it. the most wonderful thing happened a park one day when my husband mentioned to another mom that I was in the car nursing and that it was taking a really long time. she reminded him that breastfeeding gets much faster as the baby gets older. i really didn't know that, so when our 30-45 minute sessions turned into quick 10 minute feedings i was in heaven! that lady was an angel for talking to my husband so candidly because it gave me the will to keep going! 15 months went so fast and I wouldn't have stopped except for baby #3 making his presence known.
ReplyDeleteHey Kara! I replied to your other post on breeding as the "one you'd hate who nurses in public" hehe. So i too had SEVERE oversupply and this ended up in a SEVERE case of mastitis. BRUTAL. I also had some issues in the beginning- also flat nipples and used nipple shield for a few months. yup months. SO glad I am off of these as I truly thought I would be on the shield (sounds like a disease! ) forever! ANyway, I learned that the shield is ok :) after feeling guilty about using it for a while. I also learned that for oversupply leaning back is good as well as block feeding (only feeding on one breast for a few feedings to cut down supply). ANyway, love your posts! I just posted on the wonder weeks. are you aware of this?
ReplyDeleteWhat is the wonder weeks?
DeleteAnd I remember your comment on the other post too. I'd never hate on you for nursing in public! I nurse in public too and I know covering up is hard if you have a kid who hates a cover. :)
I had to use the nipple shield for the first threes and a half months into Breastfeeding. While it was not ideal and made nursing in public really tough I was thankful that I had the shield to keep Breastfeeding an option. I'm now exclusively pumping and giving Clara bottles and that is worki f great for us.
ReplyDeleteYou will be SO happy that you're building a freezer stash of milk. I have quite the stash and will probably be able to stop pumping a month early and feed Clara straight from the stash in the freezer!
Breastfeeding is hard stuff! Hang in there!!
I had a lot of the same problems- particularly the over abundant supply! Can I ask why you pumped twice a day after feedings? Was it to have a stash of extra milk on hand? Did that not give you any problems with then producing to much milk?
ReplyDeleteI had sooo much trouble breast feeding in the first weeks. I always thought it would come naturally, it didn't. till he was about 6 weeks I was pretty much every feed in pain and then it got easier. I used a nipple shild the whole time as we had also a lot of trouble with latching on.
ReplyDeleteLove reading about other mother's experiences in feeding... I agree the more we share the more others can learn and feel supported when they too come too feed their baby. I posted about my experiences on my blog too (rather honestly) it was awful!
ReplyDeletehttp://ifly-ifreakenloveyou.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/3-weeks-in.html
Not wanting to bomb your site with links, just offering another honest story from a new mum down in New Zealand! Congrats on your little baby girl too.
Thanks for the link up! I love reading about other mother's experiences because like you said - we can all learn from each other!
DeleteIt took us about 8 weeks... and by 15 weeks we were pros. I remember HATING nursing in public for all the reasons you described. Now I look back and laugh. I could summarize so many of the things we went through but I'll just post the link here. Everything from tight frenulum to thrush... it was quite the bumpy road but SO WORTH it. We're still going strong 6-7 times per day at 10.5 months and I hope to nurse until she's 2. :) http://themakingoftheridgefamily.blogspot.com/2012/02/adventures-in-breastfeeding.html
ReplyDeletei'm currently nursing my second, and he is 22 months this saturday. it get so much easier. we cosleep and i still allow him to nurse whenever he feels like it, and it's working for us. we're a pretty crunchy, hippie group :) i just wanted to say that it gets easier as time goes on, and now when ezra runs to me and sits in my lap just to nurse and reconnect with me after being the active toddler he is? it pretty much melts my heart into goo. you're doing an awesome job, and this is such a great post for other women just starting out. my first self-weaned at 2.5 and i'm assuming my second will do the same. you'll look back, once she weans, and remember this as a truly magical time (even though it might not seem like it some days!)
ReplyDelete