Anti-Aging

Friday, October 12, 2012

I found my first wrinkle when I was 24.

It was a small laugh line, but nonetheless, it was a wrinkle. And it freaked me out. I was too young to have any signs of aging on my face, and while a smile line is considered a "good" wrinkle to have (as opposed to frown lines), it sent me on a mission - I was going to start taking better care of my skin, even if it was for vanity's sake.

I have used some variety of anti-aging skincare since that time - almost 10 years! I've tried a lot of products on the market - expensive department store stuff, items you can buy at the drugstore, and even products from those skincare lines they only sell through a sales representative like Arbonne or Mary Kay.

What I have found out is that it doesn't matter whether it's an expensive brand or a cheaper brand, or what the marketing campaigns say, the product has to contain a few specific ingredients for it to work: retinol, antioxidants and sunscreen. Here is why they are important:

1) Retinol is an animal form of Vitamin A, which when applied to the skin helps stimulate the production of collagen (what makes skin look even and plump) and elastin (what makes skin look smooth and tight).  Used regularly, it can reduce fine lines and wrinkles and create smoother skin.
2) Antioxidants are Vitamins C and E (in combination with each other). Vitamin C protects skin against free radicals, stimulates collagen and can lighten dark spots. Vitamin E works with C as an antioxidant and an additional skin protector.
3) Sunscreen - do I need to explain how important this is? With all the skin damage I've seen in my lifetime, having a product with sunscreen is a must. It protects from harmful rays that can accelerate the process of aging.

My favorite anti-aging products to date are:

Via
 This is the best night cream I've used and it's one of the drugstore finds! Retinol works best at night and a thin layer of this cream all over my face has reduced the fine lines I have around my mouth, eyes and forehead. This stuff is affordable and it works!

Via
 This is an award winning day moisturizer -it contains retinol, sunscreen (SPF 15), vitamin E and vitamin B5. It is lightweight and has never made me break out. I actually use this as my sunscreen for days at the beach or lake (I reapply multiple times). Another drugstore find and it works!

Via

 This is a more expensive product, but it's one of the best ones I have tried - it helps with puffiness, dark circles and fine lines. It contains caffeine and works very quickly. If I run out of this eye cream, I normally RoC's Sensitive Eye Cream which contains slow release retinol so it doesn't irritate your eyes.

Via
 \I use this as an everyday lotion on my chest and the backs of my hands in the spring and summer (on the days when I'm not at the pool or lake). My mother had skin cancer and some of the worst spots were on her chest and the backs of her hands since those areas are exposed to sun, but tend to not get the same protection as the face. This formula is dry so I can wear it with regular clothing and it won't leave greasy stains or smell.

Mary Stu, Crystal and me at 24 years old (and me with short brown hair?!? who am I?!)
And us at almost 34 years old! Dare I say we have aged well? (For me it's thanks to all those products.)
 I will totally admit that I am vain when it comes to how I look - not so much that I will ever get plastic surgery or spend our grocery budget on serums and creams; but I think taking care of my face, skin and hair is important. It makes me feel better and I can attest that since I started using good products and sunscreen regularly that my skin looks and feels better!

16 comments:

  1. Kara, I found my first wrinkle at 24 too! It sent me into a tailspin of a quarter-life crisis! LOL. Fortunately I made it to 30 and all is well -- but I really need to take care of my skin more. I use that exact same sunscreen so I guess I must not be doing too badly ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quarter life crisis! So funny. It's a shock the first time you see one isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I loooove Mac's first response eye cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just be careful using anything with retinol while breastfeeding or pregnant. Obviously prescription strength retinol is worse but be cautious regardless. They say that the topical creams are a minor risk if any but just wanted to let you know! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you point me to that research? My doctor has never mentioned it but ill ask her about it at my next appt. I don't use prescription retinol. Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. Love your hair short and brunette! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh this is super good to know... I turn 24 in a couple months and have been looking into starting an anti-wrinkle regimen. I figure, better sooner than later, right? I had no idea where to start. Thanks for your suggestions, obviously they are working for you bc you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sweet! I wish I had been more diligent about sunscreen in my early twenties. Oh to e 25 again!

      Delete
  6. A timely post! I'm 31 and don't use any anti-again products (what?!) but I want to start. I walked down the aisle at my drugstore and was completely overwhelmed by all the options. Thank you for giving me a good starting point! Question - do you use any of these in conjunction with acne treatment? I use Netrogena's on the spot cream (has a low dose of benzoyl peroxide) and then top that off with an oil-free moisturizer plus SPF. If I swapped out my lotion for the options above would that still work? Thanks again and I have to add that your skin is healthy and flawless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had acne, instead I've had dry skin! I would swap your moisturizer and SPF for a day cream that has a combo of SPF and retinol. I know Neutrogena makes one for oily skin or skin prone to acne. Look on their website - lots of options and recommendations. I've also heard Aveno (sp?) has a great moisturizer for combo skin that is anti aging!

      Delete
  7. I have always thought you have great skin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're so right to be putting products on your chest as well as your face! at 41 i'm pretty happy with how my face is holding up, and i thank my mother for making sure i always washed, moisturized, and used sunscreen on my face religiously since my teens. my arms look depressingly old and like my father's, thanks to our mutual love of tanning, but my face is in good shape! i do see on my chest, though, whenever i wear a v-neck shirt, that things are not progressing as well. good gracious. i've had a lot of sunburns on that part of my body over the years, and it shows. [siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.]

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are not vain, you are a good role model for Brighton who, for sure, be very proud of her mommy!

    laurence

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was told by my doctor that topical retinols were fine but oral were not allowed during pregnancy or breastfeeding. I've never taken an oral retinol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kara, I was just reading the Environmental Working Group's report of studies being done on anti aging creams with retinol and AHAs and how have now been strongly connected with skin cancer in mice, due to stripping the skin's top layer which protects against sun damage, even with sunscreen. I was reading that doctors have deemed them the "most dangerous cosmetics on the market today" and that the government is requiring more studies before they start regulating the use of retinoids in sunscreen (but that it's in the works). This freaked me out a little- I started using retinol cream on my face at night and in the morning. What do you think? Any suggestions or thoughts or advice? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground