This is a hearty but super healthy soup - it was inspired by a veggie soup I tasted recently, but I created my own version.
1 large sweet onion
2 boxes (32 oz) low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
2 cans white beans, rinsed
2 cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed
2 bags frozen "soup mix" vegetables (I like the version that has carrots, peas, green beans, corn, okra and celery)
1 bunch of kale, washed, dried and sliced away from stalk into small pieces
4-5 red potatoes, diced into small pieces
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons garlic
1 tablespoon paprika
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Chop up your onion and cook in a large dutch oven (pot) with about 2 tablespoons olive oil until soft - about 5 minutes on medium heat.
Add the potatoes and stock and bring to a boil over medium high heat - let it cook for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Add the frozen veggies, spices and beans and turn heat down to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring a few times. (If you simmer it a little longer it's ok - it will sort of melt the potatoes and make it creamier).
Add in the kale and simmer another 5 minutes.
This looks delicious! I'm gonna have to try this!
ReplyDeleteYum!! I love your Dinnertime posts! I am a little weary about using Kale since I never have before, but I think I will have to try this! I love good soup recipes!
ReplyDeleteLooks so yummy. I LOVE soup in the fall. Does the 5 minutes take out the raw kale taste? It has always been so harsh when I made kale chips. Didn't know if that changed the flavor at all.
ReplyDeleteIt did but I used a bunch of kale that was on its way out - it was slightly wilted already. I'd do it a bit longer if the kale is super fresh.
DeleteThis is PERFECT for me right now. I just had baby #2, and I'm looking for quick and healthy dinners. Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDelete