On My Heart: Motherhood

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sometimes I cannot believe that I am a mother. I waited so long for this season, for the precious feeling of a tiny newborn in my arms, warm and heavy with sleep; for the next season of letters and numbers and colors; and for all the seasons after that.

The responsibility of parenthood is so large and before I was a mother, I felt the weight of it and the worry that comes along with it, looming ahead, fuzzy and unknown. I worried so much about how being a mom would change me and not for the better. I did not want this new title to overcome the version of me that I was finally somewhat comfortable with. This was the me that Matt loved, that my family loved, that my friends loved and becoming a mother could change all of that, strip me of the very things I had worked so hard to achieve, to learn. I did not want to become a woman lost in her child, her identity wrapped solely around one part of her life with nothing left to talk of except labor and nursing and sleep cycles.

I now know that worry was ridiculous and selfish. When Brighton was born, motherhood enveloped me fully: the worry, the exhaustion, the work, the chaos and the all encompassing love that you can drown in. It changed me immediately, unequivocally, but now I see that it was all for the better. Every moment with Brighton has been a lesson, an opportunity, and a mirror showing who I am really am and who I need to be. This new state of being requires so much of me, that all the immaturity and the selfishness has to be stripped away, piece by piece, day by day.

I am not perfect and motherhood is not going to sanctify or purify me into perfection; but it will help bring me closer to the woman I know God requires me to be - one who knows His character and emulates it in the every day of her life, regardless of who sees it or not; one who is willing to put the needs of someone else ahead of her own daily; one who tries to love without condition or limits.

This new world of spit-up and poop and tiny clothes and nap schedules, can be so overwhelming. The worry for my daughter's safety, health and happiness plagues me at times; there is so little I have control over and I find myself praying feverishly that she would be protected and healthy and whole all the days of her life. The sense of protection I feel over her is enormous - how I would lay down my life for her and what lengths I would take to protect her from harm. Every day I aim to attend to her needs the best way I know how, but most days I feel guilty for not doing more for her - for laying her in her swing when I am exhausted, for whining about the ache in my back and wrists from rocking her to sleep and for feeling frustrated when she doesn't nurse well, or fusses for an hour before bedtime.

But then she smiles at me, or sighs deeply in my arms, or lays her head against my shoulder and I think - this is just wonderful. Both the good and the hard are sweet and I can't think of any other season I'd rather be in. These moments are precious and fleeting, and I'll blink and they'll be gone before I know it. Being a parent is hard work, and there are no awards, no ceremonies, no accolades at the end of this journey; but there is love. There is so much love.

I know I will have my regrets in life, but I know that I'll never look back and wish I had worked more hours in the office, or watched more television, or had more cups of coffee, or slept more. My regrets will be that even though I held my daughter, and rocked her to sleep, and stopped often to smell her head or kiss her cheeks, I'll wish I had done it more. I want to fully love on my daughter in all the moments I have left with her. This season is so beautiful and so short; the cruelness of it haunts me, that we are to raise these tiny beings, these pieces of ourselves and then leave them to go on without us.

But that is our purpose as mothers isn't it? To carry, to bear, to love and then to let go; and before the season of letting go is upon me, of watching my daughter walk into the beautiful life she is to lead on her own, I am going to relish all the days I have left with her. I am going to embrace this new version of me, this badge of honor, this life as a mother.

22 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. As a new mother myself I couldn't agree more with every word you said. I needed to read this today. So thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made my heart ache. Your words are just so beautiful. Mommyhood is not in my immediate future, but baby fever consumes me often. I can't even fathom motherly love though- sometimes I have this silly fear that I somehow won't love my child as much as my husband. Or that I just don't have that innate maternal instinct that most women have. Something about your words brings me comfort and reassurance.

    You write beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worried about the same things, but it's a different kind of love and your heart always makes room for it.

      Thank you for your sweet words.

      Delete
  3. I love reading your posts - your words are always so beautiful. I am also a new mother and couldn't agree more with every thing you said - my favorite part was where you said no matter how many times you smell her head or kiss her cheek it's never enough.... my daughter will be 10 months this week and I feel like she is already growing up so fast. Why can't time just slow down a little and let us enjoy these newborn weeks a little bit longer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh good Lord, Kara. Thanks so much for the tears this morning. love you woman. I'm so, so, so thankful for this season for you (and me!). :) And now i need to go snuggle my babies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those first few months are really intense and can be really tough but they're also amazing! My daughter, Adalyn is almost 2 and the motherly love is so intense. You never imagine loving someone this much and then when it happens it just makes your life so much better. You're a beautiful mother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Beautifully written and all so very true! As a mother of an almost 3 year old little girl and another baby girl on the way this spoke to me today. Cherish all those moments every single day and the seasons, well they just keep getting better and better if you can even imagine that happening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You being a beautiful writer + a me full of pregnancy hormones = tears after reading that. Absolutely lovely Kara.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Giiiiiiiiiirl!!!! You're making it REALLY hard to secretly read your blog while at work when you write beautiful post that make me start to tear up! Thank god I can blame it on "allergy season".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope so hard that I can one day be a mother...like many...as long as I remember I have longed to be a mother...I married, fully in love, but in a couple of weeks life may let me know being a mother (at least a birthmother...) is not part of my destiny, of my future...I am so heartbroken...
    I pray to God to let me know if I have to gracefully just accept it or if I should keep my hopes up...and I can not find an answer to my prayers...
    I am so happy for you Kara...you fulfilled your dream...and I am happy it was a true miracle for you...deep in my heart I know this will not be the kind of miracle life holds for me...and it hurts so much...
    Brighton is a very beautiful and loved baby, enjoy it :) I am VERY happy for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leire, I am so sorry to hear about your possible sad news. I pray for peace for your heart and mind. Miracles do happen and they come in all sorts of ways. I hope you get your miracle soon. God Bless You!

      Delete
    2. thank you so much for your kind words...I think your prayer worked because God brought sea calm type of peace to my heart today for some hours.
      Your daughter is so cute! and your writing has helped me a lot...thank you for teaching me so much and helping me understand what I feel better...thank you thank you thank you...
      I hope there is happiness for us so that we can shed light over others

      Delete
  10. This is a beautiful post - well said mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Kara,

    Your post is wonderful as always. When I was 4-month pregnant with my son, Mark, now nearly 3, I was fired. After a very difficult phase of fear and guilt, I realized my soon-to-be born son would need a happy mother. Therapy helped me and even though, life, in general, proves to be rough from time to time, I will never regret these few months of my life when, I have to admit, I thought it was my baby's fault if I had been dismissed.
    Children grow up and grown-ups get wiser...

    Laurence

    ps :

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautifully written. This is just awesome. I love how you said "This new state of being requires so much of me, that all the immaturity and the selfishness has to be stripped away, piece by piece, day by day." SO TRUE. Before having my daughter I did not consider myself a selfish person. Yet having her made me realize that yes, I indeed, am a selfish person by nature. Love that God continues to do good works in me as I learn to love and parent my daughter each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So poetically and profoundly written my sweet friend. Watching you go through this journey gives me such hope about what mine will look like in the near future. I am so proud of you and appreciate your vulnerability to let us into your inner complex world- I recognize so much of my own complexities, fears and hopes in your beautiful words. Thank you. I LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you had the heart of a mother long before brighton ever showed up. but it's a beautiful thing to see that heart grow bigger and purer and stronger! your words on the subject are lovely. i shared that same worry of losing myself, and it often haunts me even now in the midst of snotty noses and endless days. but like you said, motherhood makes you better. it refines the parts of us that were able to get away with being selfish, irresponsible and indulgent (at least for me) and replaces them with qualities that make us more like Christ. love you. love your family. and like lorean said, now i shall go and snuggle my lil dudes and smell their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely lovely. Brighton will read these words one day and know the deep love you felt, and I hope it inspires her and she considers becoming a mother herself. You captured the bittersweet essence of motherhood completely. It's so completely overtakes your life, but the baby phase is all too short. Enjoy your time with your little girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant "as she considers becoming a mother." I didn't mean to imply she HAS to. I'm all for making your own choices!

      Delete
  16. I think this might be my favorite post of yours. so beautiful. *tears*

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground