On My Heart: One Year Later

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Today marks the first birthday of Baby M.

For those who are new to our blog, Baby M was the nickname we gave to the baby we intended to adopt last year. We were matched with his mother through our adoption agency in June 2011 and upon his birth on October 3rd, she changed her mind and the adoption was disrupted/failed. You can read more about what happened here and my reactions since here and here

It is hard to believe it has been a year since he was born. A year since my heart broke when I received that awful call early on a Monday morning. A year since my faith fell apart. A year since we lost our son to be.

I think about him, that tiny boy who would have been ours, all the time. I look at my daughter while she is sleeping, while she is nursing, while she is cooing at me and think that he has already been through a year of milestones. But who was there to see it?

I have no idea where he is, if he is being cared for and loved the way he deserves, as any child deserves. Although he was taken from his mother by Child Protective Services and placed into temporary foster care, I have to believe that by now, by his first birthday, he would be in a forever home with a family to call his own. I have to believe he is ok. I am still angry at how this story unfolded for him. He was the victim in all of this. 

For myself and for my faith, I am still at a crossroads. I do not understand why this all happened and although my precious miracle daughter is here with us, I don't believe that God would have taken one child away from us in order for us to receive another. I don't believe he works like that. I doubt I'll ever understand why this happened in my lifetime.

My heart has slowly started to mend over the last year. My pregnancy and the birth of Brighton have been the catalysts for substantial healing, but I still feel the depth of sorrow at times. In those quiet moments as I pace the floors with my baby wrapped in my arms, I feel the residue of sadness wash over me from losing a child, even if he was never mine. Part of me wishes I could have held him just once, seen his face, smelled his newborn smell. I wish I could have told him how much we loved him, how so many had prayed for his life. I wish I could have told him goodbye properly. Instead, I said it aloud through my tears, thousands of miles away from him.

Baby M will forever be our son, even if its in the theoretical sense. We loved him as any parent loves their unborn child and we lost him in a way that feels more like a kidnapping than a miscarriage. Right or wrong, this is how we feel about him and his story. Right or wrong, we will always consider him as part of our family; we will always love him; we will always wonder where he is and pray that he is happy and healthy. 

As for my heart and faith, I know I will continue to heal, but I have changed since that day one year ago. I lost a little of my faith in people, a little faith in God and His goodness. I don't know if I will ever be the same. How do you go back to the person you once were after something like this? I don't think it's possible. 

But this shouldn't be about me and my heart - it's about him, the first child I ever loved as my own. I wanted to make sure we honored him today, on his special day, even if he will never read this.

Baby M, I love you. I pray that you are in the hands of parents who love you as much as we did, and still do, and that your life would be filled with joy, hope and love. I desperately wish we could have been a part of your life, but we hope and believe the best for you and your years to come. 

Happy 1st Birthday darling boy. 

21 comments:

  1. As an adoption professional I want you to know that the grief that follows a failed adoption takes time to work through and that you are not alone in your sadness. Don't let anyone tell you that you are silly for being emotional about Baby M or that you should have moved on by now. It takes time, a lot of time, and that is OK. I think your letter to him is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittnie, thank you for validating my feelings. It's hard to explain the sorrow to others and we have gotten a lot of comments about how he was never "ours" so how could we feel this way? I appreciate you reaching out and your kind words.

      Delete
  2. This is so heartfelt and beautiful. Thanks for your honesty about your feelings. I hate that this situation played out the way it did (duh, of course...) but I really hope that God will turn it into something redemptive for both your family and Baby M & his forever family. My thoughts and prayers are with all of yall today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is BEAUTIFUL and you are a wonderful person, Kara. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading your post a year ago when this happened and praying and crying for you. It was a tremendous loss for your family, and I can't imagine the grief. I pray too he is the arms of a loving family today. Thinking of you and praying for your family and Baby M today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and touching post. You can tell that your heart was truly invested in that precious boy, and I can only pray that he is happy and healthy, wherever he is. Give your sweet daughter and extra snuggle today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful Kara, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made me cry!
    Thank you so much for being so generous and caring . This darling baby boy will always be in your hearts.
    This post is absolutely wonderful
    Laurence

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a beautiful person with a beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will never forget reading your post about baby M and the mother deciding to keep him. I walked outside to the garden where Shawn was working and I was crying. When I told him why I was crying, we held hands and prayed for you and Matt and that precious baby boy. Your story has touched my heart so much, Kara, and I am so happy to know you and to be able to follow along on your beautiful journey. I pray that baby M is healthy and happy, wherever he is. And I pray that he experiences the kinds of love that you would have undoubtedly given him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liv, you and Shawn are precious. I'm glad to know we had your prayers, as you had ours during Shawn's accident and recovery. Thank you for being a support to us and for your kind words.

      Hugs to you and yours.

      Delete
  10. This brought tears to my eyes, you are both so strong. I'm thinking of your lovely family today xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to believe that your prayers for him will make a difference in his life. Nothing like the heart of a mother. Nothing. Precious words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too, Remember the post you wrote a year ago when you announced the news, I felt so heartbroken for you. I was visiting my parents for the weekend and read aloud your post. Little did I know I would soon have a small taste of what you were going through. As we were potentially matched this past summer for a young sibling group and it fell through. Praying that today God will give you much peace and grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Angela, I am so sorry for your loss. The heartache of a disrupted adoption is tremendous. I'm praying for healing for your heart and that God would bless you with children soon. Hugs to you!!

      Delete
  13. Thank you all so much for your sweet and encouraging words. I cannot express how much they mean to us.

    God Bless you all. Love, Kara

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Kara, I am so sorry. My heart still hurts for you now reading this just as much as it did when this first happened. Maybe you'll never understand. Maybe there's a reason there are things beyond our comprehension... because if we could understand everything, we wouldn't be able to marvel and wonder at the beautiful things in life. Who knows. Thinking about you and praying for Baby M!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blake that is a beautiful way of putting it. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  15. Still breaks my heart for you, Matt & Baby M. Happy birthday sweet boy! May the Lord keep you safe and strong and protect you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground