Sometimes I really dislike this whole gig of blogging.
I re-read my posts and your comments and I get inspired, but then I have days like I had this week and I feel all blah and boring. Nothing creative or interesting to share. Writers block smacks me in the face and I start wondering why I am doing this. Why the heck am I trying to write outside of this blog, and why am I blogging in the first place?
My life before writing - before my graduate school years and my thesis and my totally unfinished book of short stories and now this blog - was so easy. I'd just go to work and come home and not have to think or plan or sacrifice my very limited free time. But on the flip side, life seemed a little less meaningful without some way to creatively live in it. Writing does that for me.
I guess I am trying to say that sometimes this blog might have bored you to tears and I'm sorry for that. I am going to try not to post things just for the sake of posting. I don't want to create something here is that is artificial or contrived just because I feel the pressure to have new content. I know I can't be inspired every single day, but I want this place to be something meaningful, at least to me.
So that's all for now. Off to make myself a coffee and get rid of the blahs.
I feel that way sometimes too. I wonder if it really matters, if anyone is really reading, and I've contemplated shutting my blog down. Then I remember that, while having followers and people interested is definitely a plus, this blogging gig is really for me and it makes me feel good. Sometimes there are just days, weeks, months of not knowing what to write and that's ok. Take a break, we'll be back when you're ready to write again whether it's sporadic or regular posting. I love all of your posts and your blog is definitely one of my favorites, so know you never bore me!
ReplyDeleteI hear you, Kara! The blahs are no fun at all and neither is writer's block. I had my first book published when I was 17 -- and I'm about 9 years from there now and haven't come close to having another book finished, let alone published. Sometimes my blog makes up for that empty space -- a place to write that's relevant to my life now, as a parent, as a new mom. But sometimes when writer's block hits, I just feel so discouraged and uncreative. :( Hang in there and I hope your blahs pass soon! We all get them. :(
ReplyDeleteI hear you! I love reading your posts though...every one of them. I should get better about commenting! Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteI get the Blah feeling too! It's hard to keep up with a blog and a family at the same time. I often think "OH I need to blog about that!" and then I can't find the right wording or put the amount of effort into it I want. I do love reading your blog, though.
ReplyDeleteEverybody has blah days! Sometimes you go to bed with the blahs and wake up and they're gone...sometimes your hubby lets you go draw a warm bath and get lost in a good book and the blahs swirl down with the bath water. Sometimes, all it takes is a sweet text from a good friend. So just hang in there...your blahs will melt away and they'll be replaced by a sweet memory with your hubby or a first from your little cutie or just a random good moment. You're not a bad person or mom or blogger because you're human...that's what makes you relatable, awesome, and REAL! :)
ReplyDeleteShort and sweet; I've never read anything of yours that was blah and boring! :) Good Day!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement everyone! It was just one of those days!
ReplyDeleteI can relate to this cos I've had so many blah days as well.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, Merry Christmas in advance to you!