On Crying

Thursday, January 31, 2013

I have a confession to make: I have a low tolerance for crying.

I should clarify that I mean I have a low tolerance for crying in children. Adults don't bother me at all because most have the social skills and maturity to choose appropriate places and times to lose their crap. And most of the time they are easier to console. And they can wipe their own snotty nose with a tissue. But I digress...

I have a low tolerance for crying children. It doesn't matter if it's a legitimate cry because the child is hungry or tired or scared or hurt, or it's one of those vicious toddler tantrums, I cannot handle the sound of crying for very long. Maybe this is because I am an only child and never had to hear a sibling cry. Maybe it is because I don't like children being unhappy (then again who does?). Whatever the reason, I internally freak out when a child cries more than a minute or two. 

Going into parenthood, I knew that this was going to be a big hurdle for me.

Brighton cried immediately upon birth as most (if not all) babies do. I probably would have too - she left a soothing environment and was yanked naked and covered in goo into a freezing cold room where the noise and chaos were at an all time high. She continued to cry until they placed her naked body on my chest, but as soon as she was taken from me to get cleaned up she started crying again. She cried a ton during her first bath in the hospital nursery, she cried every time her diaper was changed and she cried the whole morning before she had to get a catheter because she was having a hard time passing urine (she's fine now).

When we left the hospital the constant crying continued - unless she was asleep or nursing she was crying. And it drove me crazy.

I knew the wa-wa-wa-wa sound was hunger, but every other kind of cry I couldn't figure out. Was she tired? (Aren't all babies tired all the time?) Was she too cold or too hot? Did she need a diaper change? Who the heck knew?!? The first two weeks was a cluster you know what. I worried that she had colic, or gas, or wasn't getting enough milk. After a couple of days I started to cry when she cried. I developed post-partum anxiety (PPD's less popular cousin) and would start panicking and crying every night around 8pm even even she wasn't crying, anticipating her crying later that night. I was a hot mess.

Then right after she had her one month birthday the constant crying stopped. She still cried if I didn't feed her quick enough or if she was overtired, but now when she was awake she was smiling and calm. She didn't cry when she had a dirty diaper or even when it was time to take a nap. She seemed like she was turning into a happy baby and I thanked my lucky stars and God that I could start to enjoy my daughter.

At almost 6 months old, Brighton has stayed true to the demeanor we saw develop in her fourth week of life - she is easygoing, happy and mostly calm. She has had only a handful of massive meltdowns (where she cried really hard for longer than 5 minutes) and it's always been in the car when she is overtired and ready to get out of the seat or when she has missed a nap. I still freak out when she cries though. I just try not to show it!

Although my baby is pretty chill, I know my low tolerance for crying is going to still be something I need to work on because:
- Brighton has a serious set of lungs on her. She can wail like nobody's business - head pitched back, face bright red and huge tears running down her face as a sound louder than a siren comes out of her tiny mouth.
- I've already seen a glimpse of what a real tantrum is going to look like. Brighton has begun to protest cry when she doesn't want to nap or doesn't want to be put down. In fact a few weeks ago I went grocery shopping and had her in the carrier so I could use the whole cart. After I checked out and packed up the car, I unsnapped the carrier and started to load her into the car seat and she looked at me, stuck out her bottom lip and started whining at me loudly!
- She has started teething AND showing signs of stranger anxiety.

P.S. Here is a little video of my happy baby going from laughter to crying in a few seconds. She was so tired and had just eaten and was ready to go to bed. That little bottom lip poking out just kills me!



Brighton's Mood Swing (Jan 2013) from Kara on Vimeo.

Does anyone else have a low tolerance for crying, or is it just me?

19 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! My son does the same thing with his lower lip!! I think it's cutest thing ever, and laugh when he does that. I don't mean to laugh while he's crying, but gosh, that is just too precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Video is how I feel today! LOL! A glimpse into PMS for her in a few years. As far as crying goes, I can almost tune it out...is that bad???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela it depends on how you define "bad". My bad could be your good. You raised three amazing children and you have a bunch of precious grandbabies so maybe your tolerance is super high since you've had so much exposure to children. Who knows?!

      Let's just say that when she cries it is pitiful and it makes my heart race. Maybe in a year I won't notice it as much ;)

      Delete
  3. I don't so much have an annoyance for crying but more for whining. My mom said I was the absolute whining queen so I am sure the paybacks will be less than desirable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha. Once again, I love your honesty and humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mo you know you can always come here for the real stuff on motherhood. I have no filter ;)

      Hope you are well! Are you excited about Mardi Gras?

      Delete
    2. I agree - love your honesty! I don't think new mammas are transparent enough when it comes to topics such as this one.

      I am so glad that you shed light on PPA b/c I think I totally suffered from it as well. I had never heard the term. I knew I didn't have PPD but knew something was not right. If that makes sense. My daughter had colic and thus the hours of 7pm-1am were insane. Nothing we could do would console her. I would get SO anxious in the hours leading up to her scream sessions. This lasted from 6-12ish weeks old. So thankful that it passed around her 3 month birthday, and ever since then we have a happy, chill super laid back baby. She is 9 months today and still as laid back as can be. :)

      Delete
    3. Brittnie - I found out about it because I googled it! I knew something felt off because I am normally not an anxious person. I talked to my midwives/ OB and they confirmed I had a mild case of it. Such a hard thing to have when you are taking care of a little one. I'm glad you are ok now!

      Also I can't help but laugh when a kid throws a massive tantrum. I feel bad but it's SO emotional! Sometimes I wish I could express myself like that! ;)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this, Kara!
    My daughter, Charlotte, is 3 1/2 weeks old. From the time she was born until we brought her home, she has been a crying mess. At first I feared that we had not "bonded" well enough in the hospital. (I had an awful labor. After 18 hours of laboring in the hospital, I pushed with no pain relief for 2 hours until my OB realized she was face up. We tried a bit longer to maneuver her out, but it just wasn't happening. I ended up having a C-section. Between the spinal block and painkillers after, I feared that I had hurt our bond or somehow affected her wellbeing.)

    Her constant crying led to my constant anxiety, blues and pain for her. Every evening when my husband came home from work, he held me close while I bawled my eyes out. I feared I wasn't a good mom or that Charlotte forever would be an unhappy baby.

    For the past 2 days my girl is worlds happier. We watched "Happiest Baby on the Block" and began using the suggested techniques to calm her. I don't think we are out of the woods just yet, but Charlotte's inconsolable outbursts are lessening each day.

    It encourages my heart to read that you and Brighton endured that tearful period together and that you both are much happier now! I pray we get to the same place soon!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First let me say that your bonding with Charlotte is present and real between you and your sweet girl, regardless of how your labor went. I believe bonding is a process between mother and baby that happens over the course of the first few weeks of life, not just at birth. I'm so sorry you had a tough labor, but I am glad that Charlotte was born healthy and whole!

      Second, I totally understand the anxiety. It is such an exhausting thing to deal with when you have a tiny, screaming child who depends on you in order to stay alive. This season of fussiness/crying will end and those 5 "S's" the book talks about really do work. Her season of fussiness will taper off over time - for most babies they say 5-6 weeks right? That was when it happened for Brighton (she was 4 weeks but was born a week late so technically it was at her 5 week mark).

      Hang in there mama! It will pass and Charlotte is lucky to have such a loving and caring mama in you. If you ever need to vent, just email me!

      Delete
  6. I remember when Reid would cry at the hospital. His cries sounded like a really REALLY squeaky door. They kind of drove me mad too during our time together, I miss his baby cries-but I felt so desperate and sad whenever I heard him cry out. When I went home from the hospital, everytime I heard a squeaky door I would think it was him and start freaking out. Took me FOREVER to get the fact that it wasn't him.

    I remember while I was changing his diaper-halfway through his cries I just wanted to give up and hold him instead without a diaper.
    Kudos to you Kara! You guys are all supermoms to me go through that and keep it together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg she is CUTE! Wait until the whining starts. Ugh. I welcome crying to whining now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ali! I accidentally deleted your Instagram request! Can you send again please? Thanks!!!

      Delete
    2. Sure! My name actually just changed (to my married name AliArnette) just so you're not confused!

      Delete
  8. The video is adorable! :) I so don't handle it well either. I cried a lot when he cried because I bordered between feeling helpless and just wanting it to stop. This is totally horrible but now that he's 2 1/2 I have a hard time keeping in from laughing because the bottom lip still comes out and he starts crying and protesting nap time/bed time. Only now it comes with a little voice saying I don't want to go night night. :) Just wait there is more fun to the crying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is way too cute! I love the bottoming pout!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tell myself children are having a hard time, not giving you a hard time. It reminds me to stay in a postive consoling place when dealing with whiny, crying kids/babies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a low tolerance for crying too, especially when I can't figure out what is wrong. I think my low tolerance is because I feel like I am "failing" to meet my baby's needs... I feel like a bad mom even though I know I am not. It is just frustrating when you are doing everything in your power to comfort your baby and she continues to cry. My baby started poking out her bottom lip last week and it just breaks my heart. She is a pretty happy baby. She almost (only) cries when its time for her naps and after getting out of her bath...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground