Accident

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Yesterday was an awful day. Brighton woke up an hour earlier than normal and wanted to go ahead and nurse. It took me an hour to get her settled back down.
Then I accidentally fell back asleep and didn't wake up until I heard my mom knocking on the door.
Then I was late for work.
Then I made a mistake at work and it took me an hour to fix it.
Then I received a really ridiculous email from someone that was insulting and rude and condensending and it made me cry a little at my desk.
Then my afternoon meetings ran over and I left work 15 minutes late and got stuck in bad traffic.
Then the dry cleaners told me they couldn't fix two garments that I really love.
Then I got stuck in more bad traffic.
And then I rear ended someone.
My smashed up Saab :(
I was coming up to a red light and instead of hitting the brake, I accidentally hit the gas for a second, accelerating the car and then slammed on the brakes. It was too late though. I slammed into a Honda Accord full force, which pushed that car into another Accord in front of it.

My front grill was totally smashed in, part of the bumper was ripped off and the side lights were broken and hung by their wires, plus radiator fluid had spilled out all over the road. The back bumper of the car in front of me was missing a big piece and was falling off. And the car in front of it had just minor scratches.

Oh and the car in front of me? Owned by an attorney. (The irony!) He felt it necessary to repeat his profession to me a few times after I profusely apologized for the mess I caused. We waited for the police to come, we moved our cars out of the road and as we waited as the accident report to be filed, the woman in the very front car told me it would all be ok, that she was fine and her car was too.  The attorney just kept giving me the side eye.

After the report was filed and the officer told us what to do with our insurance companies, the attorney felt the need to ask, "Well what if I need to sue? What do I do then?"

I felt my heart drop into my stomach. The woman looked at me in shock and then rolled her eyes. The officer smiled and replied, "Well you do what you have to, but everyone is walking away from this accident just fine by my eyes. If this goes to court, that's what I'll testify to."

Mr. Attorney left in a huff. The woman smiled and me again and we exchanged goodbyes. The officer looked at my car and said, "You sure you want to drive that home?" I nodded and headed home, radiator fluid leaving a trail behind me (the accident happened about 5 blocks from my house).

So yeah, I wrecked my car and two others yesterday. Now I am dealing with insurance, and the police report and getting the car towed to an auto repair shop. Oh and I might get sued. Ugh.

I hope today goes better than yesterday.

30 comments:

  1. Oh gosh thats doesnt sound good. i do hope your tomorrow is better than today. main thing is that you are ok!!

    ive been reading your blog for a while now and never commented, i just found out im expecting and have been reading your blog for lots of information. i do hope things get better xx God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, what a bad day... but thank the Lord you didn't get hurt and your sweet baby wasn't in the car with you. Still, I know how you feel, seems like just one bad thing after another. Praying today goes better for you. Everything will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no!! Ireally hope you have a better rest of your week...maybe do something extra joyful this weekend? xo

    madison
    www.foreverroomies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh sweetie...Im sorry. I did the same thing about a year ago. I AM getting sued (by the guy in the front with NO damage to his car...) and if it makes you feel any better, the insurance company is handling everything. They deal with this kind of stuff all the time. And if that prick were really a competent attorney, he wouldnt have to ask the cop "what do I do if I need to sue." Right?

    Hang in there and hug your sweet girl extra tight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is suing you but his car wasn't damaged? That is ridiculous! I am so sorry.

      And yes Mr. Attorney seemed a little off. Thanks for your sweet words!

      Delete
  6. Oh girl, I'm so sorry. What a nightmare. Why do people have to be such jerks? I commend you for not telling the attorney "I'll give you something to sue me about" and punching him in the face, cause that might have been what I did. Hope today is much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha! I wish I had that kind of courage ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh my what a day. I hope everything works out dear. I think you need some extra little girl snuggles to make up for such an awful day. Hang in there momma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will be praying for you. I can't believe how people can be. That's probably my nightmare scenario. Sounds like that other lady was an angel in disguise, since she was trying to reassure you and comfort you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tough day. It seems like when one things go wrong, they all do. But no one was hurt and that is the important thing. I sure hope today is a better day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Kara I'm sorry! It will all work out! My husband got into a fender bender with an old lady who was retired (everyone was fine) but she sued for "lost work time" ?! Anyway, our insurance settled with their insurance and we were never bothered with it (besides the initial serving of papers by the sherriff). Don't worry, insurance will take care of you if that jerk decides to sue!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a major butthead that "attorney" is! If he is an attorney, than wouldn't he know what to do if he needs to sue? What. a. butthead. Oh yuck, I'm sorry you had such an awful day! Hope today is better, it's the first day of Spring!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liv I love that you called him a butthead twice.
      That really made me laugh!

      Delete
  12. OH Kara I'm so sorry! I hope that everything works out and that Mr. Attorney was just having a bad day as well and unfortunately took it out on you.

    I hope that today is a better day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the cops response! Glad everything's alright & hoping you a better day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the well wishes! Y'all are too good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a bad day! :( I'm so sorry. It seems like when the day starts off on a weird foot, it always continues to go in the wrong direction. :(

    When I got in my car accident in college -- I was rear-ended by a HUGE truck while stopped at a red light, he was going 45 MPH! -- the kid who hit me was the son of someone super important at an auto insurance company. I was like, oh, the irony. So it was such a huge pain to get anything done and it was such a nightmare. :( I'm sorry that attorney guy was so mean to you. Totally unnecessary, ugh. :(

    Hang in there <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poor Kara,
    what an awful day!. At least you didn't get hurt. this jerk attorney is a freak!YOU give him the side eye!
    as far as rude emails are concerned, please don't pay too much attention to people who enjoy hurting people's feelings!
    Hope today was a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What an awful day!! Praise the Lord for the nice lady and the police officer :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Geez! Kara what a sucky day!! The main thing is your safe, and your family is well.

    I was in a low impact head on when my son was 4 months old (luckily he slept through the whole thing!) It happened at 10.30am and we were supposed to get on a plane for Queensland that afternoon (I'm in Sydney)

    It's super scary, and annoying, and frustrating. I was venting to a taxi driver that was dropping me at the wreckers that it was such a dumb accident and he said "Well yeah, whoever said they had a smart accident? That's why it's called an 'accident'" Smart people those cabbies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. sorry you had such a crappy day... hopefully its the only one you'll have for a little while at least!!

    about "suing" due to car accidents... I work in insurance... and have the tendency to hit other cars (oops) first, your bodily injury coverage will respond to protect you. second, if he didn't get in an ambulance... the odds are low that he will have much to go on... if he is "injured" he will likely have to go to an ER and sit and wait forever.. which many people won't bother doing. Even then, there is usually a minimum amount of medical bills that must be produced to allow him to sue. Overall, yes he might be able to sue but it sounds extremely unlikely it would go past your insurance coverage. so relax and hug your adorable family... that was thankfully not hurt :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sorry you had such a bad day. I had a pretty bad day too. Hugs for both of us. Today has to be a better day... It just has to!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know how this feels. I had a stressful day at work and school recently and got into a car accident (debris from another car accident) and had to deal with insurance. It's so frustrating, but at the end of the day I hope you don't get too down on yourself - these things happen to EVERYONE.. give yourself a break. And if he happens to sue you - you have two other people to attest to the fact that everyone walked away fine. Just because the guy is an attorney doesn't mean he's a good one ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. This makes me sad, frustrated and I wanna punch that guy in the face..
    I love you
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh no!! So glad you're okay. I was in a little fender bender on Saturday. Someone hit me while I was STOPPED. It was redic. Anyway, hope the lawyer chills out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Kara, I'm late to this post but I wanted to say I'm so sorry about your car accident. As someone who has both rear ended someone and had their car totaled by someone else, I see how these things are really just simply put, accidents, nothing more and nothing less, and can happen to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kara, I'm so sorry about your terrible day. As a long time reader of your blog and attorney, I feel the need to say that we aren't all like that! I swear! (and I agree with the comments above - if he was competent, he wouldn't ask the cop how to bring suit against you). I hope everything ends up for the best - I'm sure it will. On the bright side, I'd been meaning to join Stitch Fix for months and finally did it via your link a couple weeks ago. I just got my first fix on Friday, so there's $25 for you! Go replace the clothes the dry cleaner couldn't repair with some new favorite pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Leah! Hope you enjoyed your fix. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground