My love affair with beauty started as a young child sitting in my mother's salon all those afternoons after school. I wanted to share the best tips/tricks I have learned from my mom and her salon co-workers over the course of many years. Some you might have heard these before and others might be new to you*. (I'm sure most of them can be found on Pinterest or in a beauty magazine - nonetheless, I still wanted to share them!)
![]() |
| Doesn't my mother have beautiful skin? And yes that is me at age 4 with my E.T. doll. |
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser in the morning - no one's face gets dirty by just sleeping, so using a harsh soap will just dry you out.
- By the time you turn 20 you should have a skin care regimen - a gently cleanser for your skin type, toner, a moisturizer with sunscreen and some form of de-puffing or anti-aging eye cream.
- By the time you turn 30 you should be using some form of anti-aging night cream and day moisturizer with retinol as the active ingredient.
- Wear at least 30 SPF sunscreen on your face, neck, chest and the backs of your hands every single day. These are the parts of the body most exposed to the sun and show the first signs of aging.
- Pat, don't rub, eye cream around your eye with your ring finger. The skin around your eye is very thin and very sensitive. Using your ring finger will ensure you don't tug at the skin.
- Protect against crow's feet - wear sunglasses so you don't squint, and make sure your contacts and prescription eyeglasses are strong enough so you're not straining your face to see things.
- When you apply moisturizer, sunscreen, or even cleanser to your face, apply gently in an upward motion to help fight gravity.
- Don't forget your lips - use a natural balm with SPF to fight dryness and cracking.
- Don't pick at your zits - apply a warm compress to them for 5 minutes, apply some salicylic acid based acne corrector and then keep your hands off of it. Popping zits can cause small scars.
- Apply body lotion right after you shower - your pores are open and will absorb it better.
- To give your face that radiant, glowing effect use a facial scrub brush (like this) with a gentle cleanser.
- Every month use a body scrub in the shower to exfoliate your skin. You can easily make your own version with 1/8 cup sugar mixed into 1/4 cup olive oil.
- Every woman has a little facial hair at one point in her life - get rid of it by either a depilatory, plucking or electrolysis. Don't shave it off! Also bleaching makes it more noticeable, especially if you have dark hair or olive toned skin.
- This goes without saying, but never go to bed with your makeup on!

I'm so embarrassed to admit that I'm nearly 27 and I have no skin care regimen. I remove makeup (when I wear any that is) and sometimes I wash with face wash and ill generally apply mousterizer with SPF but I would hardly call it a routine.
ReplyDeleteI know it's silly but it's because I have pretty great skin (but yes, I'm aging!) but mostly because I'm CLUELESS! I didn't have much of a beauty role model growing up (which is why my makeup routine stinks too).
Any chance you'd want to make a must have beauty product post for dummies? I'm dying for some of your girls expertise!
Sure! Ill do that soon!
DeleteAmen!! I am so devoted to my skin care regimen, my grandmother and mom insisted on it. And I'm so glad they did! Awesome post!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the suggestions! Is there an inexpensive retinol cream you recommend? Will it dry out my already dry skin? And what about SPF- do you use an SPF on separately after your face cream or does you face cream have SPF in it? Do you use the same one on the rest of your skin? Sorry for all the questions!
ReplyDeleteNeutrogena and RoC make cheap but effective day creams and night creams. Both have SPF built in too!
DeleteAnd I use the same stuff for my face, backs of my hands and chest. Look back thru my archives using the label "Beauty" - I have a whole post on Anti Aging products I like!
I turned 30 this year a my routine is this: In the PM - wash face with Cetaphil antibacterial soap, use witch hazel as a toner, then apply CeraVe Pm lotion. In the AM - Splash water on face (I usually don't rewash my face in the AM) and use witch hazel followed by CeraVe AM moisturizing lotion.
ReplyDeleteI need to look at your archives for a good anti aging night cream! Thanks for the tips and suggestions.