On Letting Go
Thursday, April 18, 2013
I waited so many years to be a mother and when Brighton was here I became immediately enamored with her. The desire I felt for her time, her warmth, her attention was all encompassing. I savored every moment I could in those six months at home with her, and the thought of going back to work and allowing someone else to care for her made me feel cold with anxiety.
As the last month before I went back to work ticked away, I tried to enjoy every last second that I had with her. We went on extra walks and extra trips to the park. I held her more than usual (which is already a lot) and got in as many kisses and cuddles I could. I took more pictures and videos each day. I was super intentional about paying attention to every detail of her.
It was as though I was trying to squeeze all the love I could out of her.
And then my last week of maternity leave snuck up on me. Matt was headed out of town for an annual snowboarding trip that week so I had Brighton all to myself. I wanted to hole up in the house and just stay in bed with my girl playing and nursing and napping.
But I felt the need to go to church and the grocery store and outside so I could breathe fresh air. The Sunday Matt left for his trip, I got Brighton and myself dressed and we went to church, albeit 30 minutes late. I dropped her off in the nursery with a feeling of dread, thinking it was one more hour that I wasn't going to get with her that week. Keeping her with me in the sanctuary wasn't an option anymore.
I snuck into the service and sat in the back of balcony by myself. I had already missed 1/4 of the sermon. Our pastor was talking about entrusting God with the things we hold dear to our heart. He was telling us that God sometimes asks us to hand things over to him so He can take better care of them. I listened half hearted, thinking of my daughter the whole time until he read the story from Genesis 22 - where God asks Abraham to sacrifice his only son, Isaac.
If you don't know the story, Abraham was married to a woman named Sarah who was barren. She begged God to give her a child and God did, but He waited until she and Abe were super old to bless them with a child. Isaac was their miracle baby. So you can imagine how insane it must have sounded to Abraham when God asked him to sacrifice his son.
Of course, God was just testing old Abe and He stopped him before any harm was done. I never understood why God would ask such a thing of a man who had waited so long for a child. But our pastor explained how our God is jealous of our hearts and He doesn't want idols in our lives.
And then it hit me. Brighton was my Isaac, my miracle baby that I almost worshiped. She had become my idol.
Of course God didn't ask me to do anything crazy like he did with Abraham. He simply spoke through a sermon, and let me chew on the truth and my weary heart.
Over the course of the last few months as I have had to leave my daughter in the care of others, whether it be a church volunteer in the nursery, or a babysitter, or a family member, I have been forced to face my own issues - my anxiety that they just won't care for her the right way, or know her needs as well as I do, or if I'm really honest, that somehow they are stealing time and memories and moments that were meant to be mine. I hate knowing that she has done something for the first time in the presence of someone who is not her parent. I don't like sharing her with people because I feel my time is already so limited with her due to working full-time outside the home. I get irritated when our babysitters take more than 5 minutes to leave once I'm home because I feel like every extra second they stay is another second I don't get with her. I worry that when someone gives her a bottle or changes her diaper or lays her down for a nap that they won't do it as well as I would and that will somehow negatively affect her in the long run.
I am jealous for her and riddled with irrational worries and I shouldn't be.
The harsh reality I have had to face is that Brighton wasn't created just to fulfill my desire to be a mother. She wasn't created just for me. And by gripping onto her life so tightly with my hopes and my fears and my pride, I was reducing her to nothing more than a shiny object I hid in my hands. I know the way I have felt, the way I sometimes still feel, isn't healthy. I know my heart has to change and it starts with letting go and forcing myself to trust.
This is all easier said than done of course. Every day is a battle, and some days I feel peaceful and thankful and know in my heart that Brighton will be just fine even if we are away from one another. Other days I feel prickly and ugly with fear and jealousy.
On those bad days, God reminds me to let go, and let Him take care of us. He understands how much I care about Brighton's every little detail, in the same way He cares about all my little details too. Brighton is His daughter too after all.
So this is my struggle: letting go and entrusting God with the thing most dear to my heart, my baby girl. I'm praying God keeps giving me the grace to do it, and the grace for when I fail.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love the honesty and vulnerability here, Kara. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLove this post.
ReplyDeleteLong time reader, first time commenter. I needed this today as I could have written this post word for word. I leave before my daughter wakes up and get home just in time for dinner, bath, book, bottle and bed. I get to spend only 2 hours with her max in the evenings and it literally makes my heart hurt. I thought it would get easier but it hasn't. I spend my weekends trying to soak her up and only make plans that include her. I know it's something I need to work on. I pray every night that I can find a part-time job so I can figure out this word called "balance". Our daughters are weeks apart and it took us a long time, lots of money and lots of prayer for our miracle. Your words were beautiful and just the reminder I needed to get through my day at work.
ReplyDeleteKatie, I understand and just know that you're not alone. So many of my girlfriends face the same battle daily. Hugs from me!
DeleteI don't necessarily share your faith or religious beliefs, but I was touched in reading this. I remember the first time it hit me with my oldest son that being a mama is a long, slow process of always letting go. Day after day, in small and big ways. These babies are not "ours". They are their own people from day 1. But oh man how my love for them makes that hard!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this post- this is completely me, yet I've never been able to put that anxiety to words.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this post, Kara. My son is due to arrive in a month and even though he isn't here yet, I still think about how I'm going to cope with going back to work after he's born or letting someone else hold him and care for him. I cry sometimes as I drive to work thinking about when he's at daycare and not with me. It makes me so sad. When my parents or in-laws mention watching him for us, it freaks me out. He's not even here yet and they want to watch MY baby? They won't do it right! They won't do what I want. What if he gets hurt and I'm not there? What if he says his first word and I'm at work and not with him? What if he enjoys the company of his daycare workers more than me and forgets about me? I know it's all silly stuff to think about (especially before he's born) but it's good to know I'm not alone in my thoughts. Thanks for posting this. I'll be sure to re-read this post when I have difficulties. :-)
ReplyDeleteSara - the worries are normal. You are biologically designed to want to be with your child and to worry about his well-being. He won't forget about you - you're his mama and he already loves you.
DeleteCould have written this a few years back. So glad you at least are TRYING to let go. It will save you a lot of heart ache in the future. Did you ever DREAM you would love someone this much?????!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for this post, Kara. I am leaving my baby girl to go back to work next week and I am feeling very overwhelmed. I know that it is the best choice for my family, but that doesn't make it feel any better. Not sure if you have encountered this, but as a Christian and among family and friends, it seems as though the only choice that we as moms should make is to stay at home with our babies. I have felt some judgement from friends and family after making the decision to go back to work. Any ideas on how to cope with this?
ReplyDeleteFirst, the Bible is full of stories of women who had children and also worked (look at the Proverbs 31 woman - she as a wife, mama and sold her goods at the local market).
DeleteI think MODERN conservative Christian circles preach that women should stay home with the children and not work outside the home, but I have not been able to find a scripture that supports that thought.
Second,there will always, always, always be people that judge your choices as a parent. But they are not the parent of your daughter, and YOU know what is best for her. Ignore the naysayers. Don't give them or their comments (well intentioned or not) any more of your time or worry. It doesn't matter what they think.
You should be proud of your decision to work outside the home. It takes a lot of courage to do what is right for yourself, and your family. My advice is to remember that fact - you know what is best for you, your family, and your baby girl. You are an awesome mama and nothing will ever change that!!!
I think this is true for many working mothers. We struggle with the balance of being home with our family and working to provide for our family. Isn't it amazing how God provides what we need to hear, at the exact time we need to hear it?!?
ReplyDeleteHello Kara,
ReplyDeleteI just love the way you write and how honest you are. It takes courage to write so many personal things. You can be proud, I am sure some of your readers get more courageous thanks to you and your experiences!. Brighton will always love you no matter what. You are doing your best to raise her and give her the best opportunities in her life.
I don't share your religious beliefs however it is very easy to see that we all have the same issues as working, dedicated and loving mothers.
Wow. Your heart is beautiful Kara. Thank you for sharing this. It's such a necessary reminder!!!! Your sweet angel Brighton has such a hope and a future!
ReplyDeleteThis speaks right to my heart! Beautiful! So brave of you to admit this.
ReplyDeleteI love this. You spoke to my heart!! Brighton is such a very lucky girl to know such love!! Place all your faith and trust in Him, Kara. He has laid out everything so perfectly for you!!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite post you've ever written. So honest, so true, straight from the heart. Thank you so much for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteThis is a breathtakingly beautiful post. I am wrestling with the same thing with my daughter. Truly, I've made an idol of her. Thanks for your wisdom and insight.
ReplyDeleteThank you, this really spoke to my heart. As mothers we know our children best, and I'm also very anxious that other people won't understand my children's needs.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm also a preschool teacher, and I love it when parents beam with pride as they see their child singing a nursery rhyme, or spelling a word, or tying their shoe. Brighton is still a baby, so wanting to keep her close is totally instinctual and normal. But as she grows, I'm sure your protective instincts will be replaced by such great pride that she can learn, grow, and be happy outside the home as well.
Your love for her is absolutely beautiful and she's so lucky to have parents like you and Matt.
I love this post and it really hit home for me. Although I only work 1/2 days, I still have a hard time sharing what little time I have with my daughter with anyone else. Just the other day I was telling my husband how my biggest fear was coming to pick Leah up from her church daycare and hearing that she crawled/spoke/walked, etc for the first time and I missed it. It made my heart hurt just thinking about missing any important moments. I was also feeling discouraged about attending church on Sundays because I felt like it was just more time that she was in child care and not with me. And every time we would come home and she would go down for a long nap, I would feel anxious, feeling like the precious minutes I had with her were quickly slipping away. I knew it was irrational to feel this way, I know I cannot spend every waking moment with her, but it was very hard for me to accept and let go. I know how blessed we are to have her in a WONDERFUL church day care program, with women who love her like their own daughter/granddaughter and I should be happy if they are able to celebrate a life moment with her. It's taken a lot of prayer, but I think I'm finally starting to celebrate the people Leah has in her life instead of envying the time she spends with them instead of me. How blessed are we that there are so many people in our lives who care for and love our daughters!
ReplyDeleteI love the way you have explained it - to celebrate the people in her life. Thank you for that encouragement!
Deletethis is a beautiful and heartfelt post. i'm sure i am just being defensive because i feel the same way about my baby and also tried for a very long time for her, but i want to mention that i truly don't think your overwhelming love for your daughter and your desire to be with her was ever reducing her to a shiny object. i don't mean to reject your way of thinking here and i can understand so vividly how you are trying to make the best of a difficult situation, that is so clear and you are doing a thoughtful and beautiful job. but showering her with love and wanting every possible moment with her is a completely natural motherly response and not something you should work on "curing." it doesn't sound like some unhealthy obsession to me...it sounds like you LOVE YOUR BABY as all mothers should! kudos to you for publicly working through the difficult situations that all mothers face as their babies grow and as we encounter and interact with the realities of the modern world. but meanwhile, trust yourself and your instinct and keep on giving that sweet girl such a gorgeous outpouring of love! (and of course letting loved ones share in the fun too!)
ReplyDeleteYou're not being defensive at all. I love this comment and you're right - I do love my baby. But I also was super jealous in an unhealthy way at times.
DeleteThank you!!
Wow, beautiful. You gave me unexpected chill bumps! I needed this.
ReplyDeleteWow, beautiful. You gave me unexpected chill bumps! I needed this.
ReplyDeleteWow. I couldn't have said it better myself. I too will be home with my sweet girl for the first 6 months (other than 2 weeks I have to go back to work for - my husband and mom will watch her during that time). I'm REALLY struggling with the idea of going back full-time in August. I'm 100% terrified that she's going to have all her firsts at daycare and I'm really struggling with the idea of sharing those moments that I so selfishly want to keep for myself. It's like I feel as if I'm entitled to them somehow. I'm so worried that she will struggle with others, cry more than normal, and won't be happy without me. I worry that her needs won't be met like they would with me. It's terrifying and this post described exactly how I'm feeling and helped me make (some) sense of it all. Thank you!!!
ReplyDeleteI so needed this, I just had my daughter 3.5 weeks ago and have had those same thoughts and feelings. When people come over to hold her, or when I miss her, I think, no one can love her like I can; well although true, its not just my love that she needs or will want, its the Lords, my husbands and those that are around her that love her. She is not my posession shes may daughter that was given to me by God to behold, teach and influence her to love God and its that simple. I've been pondering that whole "perfect mother" syndrome, and how I am going to need to learn this now while she is itty bitty so that I can get it when she's gaining her independence and it takes me by surprise.
ReplyDeleteWith all of that to say, your thoughts are genuine, and timely. Thanks again for sharing. I love hearing what you have to say. You Kara, are an inspiration to the world. Blessings.