On My Heart: I am here

Monday, May 6, 2013


When I was a little girl and I was scared, or I was sad, or lonely, I would run to find my mother. She would be in the kitchen, cooking dinner or washing a dish, or sitting on the couch with a book or magazine in her hands, and I would call out her name in that desperate way children do and she would immediately hold her arms out, waiting for me to come to her.

And we would embrace, and I would pull myself into her, and succumb to her warmth and her love and her immediate and focused care. She would pull me up to her, my arms and legs a tangled mess around her and my head resting on her chest, my right ear against the beating of her heart, letting me fall into her completely.

And then she would ask me what was wrong. And sometimes I would cry. And sometimes I would just be silent. But no matter what, she would always let me stay in her arms as long as I needed and she would always say,

I am here.

In the fall of 2011, when our plans to become parents through adoption failed, I sat on my couch in the silence of my house and sobbed and I wanted my mother. And when she came over, I let myself call out her name in that desperate way that a child does and I wrapped myself in her arms and I wept in a way I had not in my whole life. She listened and she rocked me and she pulled me close to her chest so I could lay my right ear against the beating of her heart and she said,

I am here.

Now when my own daughter, who is too young to know real heartache, or sadness, or loneliness, cries out for me in that desperate way a child who really needs their mother does, I pull her up to me, her arms and legs a tangled mess around my body and she rests her head on my chest, her right ear against the beating of my heart. And I rock her and kiss her head and stroke her face and I let her stay in my arms as long as she needs me. And then I say,

I am here.

I know there will be days upon days when she does not need me like this, but she will grow and she will see small bits of the cruelness of life and she will fall down, or be treated with disregard. I hate that she will have those kinds of moments, the inevitable ones that mean she is growing up and learning and finding out how everything in the world works. And on those days when she feels scared or sad or lonely, I hope that she will continue to seek me out, and let me remind her the way my mother reminded me, still reminds me, that there is always time to be held and enveloped in love and to be told,

I am here.

15 comments:

  1. Whew, girl this made me well up! Beautiful words. I had the same type of mom and I hope to give Lucy the same type of mama safe haven <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making my heart ache! Beautiful, Kara, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am teary after reading this. Such a beautiful post! I was exactly the same way with my mom. She was always there in the night if I needed her. She still is despite living a state away from me now.

    I'm also still small enough, even at nearly 30, to fit into my dad's lap. With a rough several months behind me, I've curled up there often for a hug from my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is possibly the most beautiful post you've ever written, Kara, and I mean that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one brought tears to my eyes. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. made me cry <3

    madison

    www.foreverroomies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my most favourite posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is truly Beautiful....LOVE....my favorite post yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tearing up on this side of the screen. :) Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful words, you brought tears to my eyes. I lost my mother 8 years and some days I still cry out for my mother wishing she would hold me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful. Tears in my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful! You definitely have a way with words! You are a great Mama!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground