I made all these rules for myself before I had Brighton. Some of them were based on parenting books I read, or things I noticed other parents do that I didn't agree with, and some were just based on principles that Matt and I thought were important.
But good lord, I broke so many of them once I became a parent. Here are some of the ones I threw out and am laughing about now:
I will not co-sleep with my baby.
Although we technically never let Brighton sleep a full night in the bed with us, she spent a lot of her first 6 months snoozing in our bed for naps and in the early morning. It was easier for me, comfortable for her, and Matt loved it too. Even at 9 months, I bring her into bed with us every morning to nurse and cuddle and I cannot imagine changing that any time soon.
My boobs will never be used as a pacifier.
I will admit that I massively judged women who did this, but when the crap hit the fan and Brighton was inconsolable I totally used my boobs as a pacifier. And guess what? It worked every single time. And still does... although she is much easier to console now that she is older and can be distracted and likes to cuddle.
Once the baby is old enough to be sleep trained, I will stop rocking her to sleep.
All those parenting books warn you that if you rock your baby to sleep they won't be able to learn how to fall asleep on their own. That's not true at all, at least for my child. Brighton can fall asleep on her own pretty easily, but I rock her to sleep most nights because it's the few minutes where she is calm in my arms and I can hug her tight and kiss her soft hair as much as I want. One day she won't let me rock her to sleep, so for now I relish these sweet moments when my baby girl lets me hold her for as long as I need.
Once my baby starts crawling, I will make sure my floors are clean and dirt free.
HAHAHHA. Pul-leeze. Honestly it would take a daily cleaning to keep our main living space clean given all the foot traffic and our pets. Ain't nobody got time for that! Brighton has been crawling for over a month and has probably ingested a few dog or cat hairs, plus a little dirt already. I figure it will help build up her immune system and not have allergies later in life.
My baby will eat a healthy variety of foods.
I'm eating crow on this. Brighton is pretty willing to try anything once, but she is already showing a preference for the "fun" foods - sweet fruits, puffs, bagels, butter, cream cheese, yogurt and cookies. Yes, I have let her eat a cookie (just the cookie part - no chocolate chips or anything). Some days when she refuses every thing healthy I offer her, I just give in and give her more fruit, or something with butter on it so she'll get some calories in her.
Ok mamas what rules have you broken? I know I'm not alone in this!

I've broken a lot of my own "rules"! I said I would never let my baby cry it out but we ended up having to go that route after nothing else worked, and now he sleeps 12 hours straight each night. I said I wouldn't let him sleep on his tummy and that's the only way he will sleep deeply. I said I would never put anything in his crib with him and now he has a lovey that he can't sleep without. I said I wouldn't give my baby formula but I had to when my supply dropped. Funny how things change! Love this post!
ReplyDeleteTotally with you on the rocking baby to sleep part. I'm a working mom too, so I take bedtime rocking for some of that precious one-on-one time with him. Great post!
ReplyDeleteLOL I love this!!! :) I broke ALL the friggen rules I made while I was pregnant. ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat post, I broke a lot of my rules and the rocking to sleep thing....psssh that baby will learn to fall asleep on their own....we rocked our now 3 year old to sleep every night (almost) until she was 2 and I wouldn't change a thing. She was the best sleeper (sleeping through the night at 10 weeks) but that time was precious to us and she did and does sleep just fine.
ReplyDeleteThese are right on! My big one was I would never let Piper sleep in her carseat. Hahaha, the first time she was really sick the only way we could get to fall back asleep was to drive her around and you can bet that I wasn't moving her out of that carseat after she finally fell asleep! Needless to say, she's slept in there a handful of times now:)
ReplyDeleteAwwww the rocking. My sweet 3 year old sat in her tiny rocking chair yesterday and said "Momma, will you rock me?" Lord it took everything in me not to go buy a chair! Hers is long gone! I said baby I wish I could fit in your little chair and rock you! Soak it up momma, you're right, before long you won't have that special time!
ReplyDeleteI love this!! Being pregnant right now, this is a great reminder that life is just gonna happen :) This is a great post!
ReplyDeleteRule 1 that should never be broken : Dont ever argue with your husband/ boyfriend in front of the child.
ReplyDeleteWell, it has already happened...
Rule 2 : read a bokk every evening. Well when I am exhausted, I just want to grab something to eat, I squeeze the book.
Sooooooooooooo many rules, so many excuses
lol
Haha total broke my self imposed "I will never co sleep" rule. Ha! That went right out the window when the option was either not sleep at all, or get some sleep with Clara in our bed. :)
ReplyDelete1. No TV before 2 years - I feel almost guilty about this one. But with 6 month old twins, sometimes I have to sit them in front of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for 20 minutes while I pump, wash bottles, or just go to the bathroom without a crying baby.
ReplyDelete2. I would make my own baby food - I barely have time to breathe. Sometimes, jars are just easier. I also can't get my purees smooth enough. My girls were preemies and have texture issues, so that was a big factor in switching to jars.
um....best post ever hahaha.
ReplyDeleteI am with you! I always assumed I would keep my child clean. He/she would always look perfectly maintained. (I was a nanny and my kids were super clean... I wouldn't let their clothes get dirty)... um... I ended up with a boy and he is a hot mess all the time. Now that I can't give them back I am just glad I survive another day. We wear pajamas most days, and he never wears shoes lol (I can't find any that work with his pudgey feet and learning to walk) I also said I would never live my life based around naps. My kid would go where I went. Little did I realize, moms need the naps, not the child lol!!!!!!
ReplyDelete