For my newborn must have's list visit here.
Now that Brighton is almost a year old, I have been reflecting on the last year (and packing up some clothes and gear she no longer needs) and realized that I wanted to share some of the items that were life savers for us during her first year. These are my must have's for a 2-5 month old:
Brighton was able to hold her head and upper body up pretty well by the time she was 3 months old and got very tired of the swing and laying on her back for play time. The Bumbo was a lifesaver because she could sit up unassisted and play with any toy I handed her.
When Brighton started eating solids, we used it as her high chair and she ate every meal in it until she was about 7 months old. It comes with a tray which was super helpful as she learned to grasp food and feed herself.
I used this pillow for nursing Brighton until she was about 6 months old, but it was so useful for her when she wanted to lay on her tummy but be a little less flat on the ground - it was nice to prop her up in it and let her look around and she also enjoyed reclining back on it as well. As she learned to sit up more and more on her own, I would wrap it around her and it helped stabilize her.
A Video Monitor
I knew a video monitor was a splurge, but because Brighton never slept in our room (she slept in her nursery the very first night she was home from the hospital), I wanted to be able to check on her with more than just sounds. We were able to use some gift cards to purchase the Summer Infant Baby Touch Video Monitor. This version is a little fancy because it has a touch screen monitor that allows you to adjust the brightness, sound and move the camera so you get the perfect angle of your sweet baby.
Since Brighton is the noisiest sleeper ever (she moans, groans, coos, babbles and thrashes around in her sleep), it was nice to be able to see what she was doing while she was making all that noise. The monitor has saved us many a trip into her nursery especially when we were going through sleep training!
Since Brighton is the noisiest sleeper ever (she moans, groans, coos, babbles and thrashes around in her sleep), it was nice to be able to see what she was doing while she was making all that noise. The monitor has saved us many a trip into her nursery especially when we were going through sleep training!
Sleep Sacks
Brighton was never a fan of being totally swaddled but she liked to be loosely wrapped in a blanket when she slept. I loved the idea of a sleep sack because it was a safe way to give her that blanket feeling without worrying that the blanket would come undone and potentially suffocate her (yep I was paranoid!). I used both the Halo and aden + anais versions and liked both equally.
I joked that this toy was a baby anti-depressant. If Brighton was fussy or bored, I would pop her in it and she would immediately start giggling and would bounce until she wore herself out. It was a great way to keep her happy while I cooked dinner or did a load of laundry. We hung it in the doorway of our kitchen so she could see into the living room/dining room and the kitchen.
Next post: Must Have's: 5-9 Months




This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI love this post! Thanks so much for the reviews! I'm expecting this October, so I love the feedback :)
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see the next installment for 5-9 months. My daughter will be 6 months on Saturday and we can tell she is antsy for some more interactive toys. Any suggestions? I kind of want to get her Kleynimals (because she wants everyone's keys ALL THE TIME and I have read that many keys contain lead...plus they are so germy from being handled/being in pockets and purses) and the Doug and Melissa Bug Jug because she is starting to like to take things out/put things in containers and bags.
ReplyDeleteI bought Brighton a few things that were simple but helped with her mental development - a bag of those big plastic Easter eggs, a few bowls and some big plastic spoons and spatulas as well as some small baskets. I put all of her toys and stuffed animals in the baskets and started showing her how to put them in and take them out. I also got her a few pop up books, a plastic mirror and a few toys that light up or make sound when you push them.
DeleteThank you so much! I am attempting to register for baby stuff now, and it is SO hard, not knowing what a baby needs!
ReplyDeleteThis is a fabulous list! I work at a baby store and we sell most of these things, except for the Jump-Up. I'll have to recommend it to my boss!
ReplyDeleteThe Bumbo is one of my favorites too :)
your blog is precious, i love all your photos and words!
ReplyDeletexx