Recent Thoughts...

Monday, September 16, 2013


This is a mish-mash of random things that have been running through my head. Welcome to my silly, crazy head...

I need someone to teach me how to apply eyeliner properly. Last year I had a really good technique - I'd use a pencil to draw a thin line, then go over it with cream eyeliner in the same color, then finish it off with some shadow to set it. Now every time I try the same method it looks like I got punched in the eye. I've lost my mojo and all those You Tube tutorials are not helping. Can someone please come to my house and help me?

When I was a kid, my dad and mom would watch reruns of the original Star Trek and also The Next Generation. I thought the show was cheesy and overdramatic, but have you seen the newest movies? They're really freaking good, and they too have elements of cheese and drama, but now as an adult, I kinda like it.

I'll be 35 in a month and that depresses me. I don't think I am going to celebrate my birthday this year.

I've used retinol on my face since I was 26 and for some reason in the last few weeks every time I put on my day moisturizer or my night cream, my skin feels like its getting a chemical peel. I am afraid to search on Web MD for the cause because every single search result has cancer as an option. Have you ever noticed that?

I sucked at blogging the last 6 months. I have all these posts running through my head during the day, then get I get home, spend time with Brighton, put her to bed, make dinner, hang out with Matt, clean up the house, and by that time, I am too spent to do anything constructive. I miss this place and I want to write more, but I need to be more disciplined about it. Until I can get this whole balance at work and home sorted, it might just be a post or two a week here. Sorry!

I gave my cat a haircut with a pair of kitchen scissors last week. He laid on the floor and purred and let me chop his mangled mess of fur off, section by section. He is still my first love, that grumpy ball of orange fur, even if he pukes up hairballs on the guest bed.

Is the entire internet land having more babies, or am I imagining things? Matt and I talk about number two on occasion, and I'm on the fence about it. I'm leaning towards Brighton being the only biological child in our family, as pregnancy doesn't come easy or free in this uterus, but the jury is still out. But man, oh man, do people ask about this all. the. freaking. time. Why does it matter? Can't I just enjoy my already born, extremely cute child that I already have? What is the rush? And why do people feel the need to ask such invasive questions? This is another post for another day.

My boobs are officially a small B, and slightly floppy, and this makes me all sorts of sad. Prior to pregnancy they were a solid C and not floppy in the slightest. Pregnancy made them temporally enormous, then breastfeeding made them even bigger then they just - poof! - disappeared after I weaned the baby. An acquaintance just recently had her breasts done and every time she posts a selfie on Instagram I make a mental vow to stop spending my fun money on fancy coffee drinks from Starbucks or Madewell shirts and start a "Fix Kara's Boobs" jar. Until then it's push up bras for mama.

Let's end on that thought - push up bras. You're welcome. :)

14 comments:

  1. I can seriously relate to the smaller floppy boobs... I've always had smaller boobs, they got bigger while pregnant/after my milk came in, then when it dried up, so did the boobs.. literally. Floppy... was a great adjective! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha the boob thought is hilarious. I am still nursing my daughter, but am just waiting to see what happens once I'm done! Also, I totally agree, I feel like as soon as you have a baby, everyone starts asking you when you're going to have number 2 and I constantly think, "can't I just enjoy my first baby for a bit?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, seriously...people are ALWAYS asking about when the second is coming. So annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you may need a new eyeliner brush. Even the slightest "spreading" can make the line wider & messier. Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog but honestly if you aren't posting because you are spending time with Brighton or Matt or relaxing after working, I have NO problem with it! I would hope other readers would feel the same! You worked very hard to have that wonderful family and if you only post twice a week because you are enjoying it, so be it!

    On the boob matter, I'm nearly 30 and my C cup breasts are not perky (and never really have been) I fear what they'll look like when I have kids. Ooof. I might have to start a jar myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please see this as "constructive": "I get home, spend time with Brighton, put her to bed, make dinner, hang out with Matt, clean up the house" because it is! :)

    Yes, the entire Internet land is having babies. It's very annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, boob talk! Makes this Monday seem less drab.
    I had a full, round D-cup in my twenties, which made girlfriends jealous and boyfriends happy. But karma came back full force and bit me in the b*tt, as I'm left with 2 shapeless saggy bags of sag after having 2 kids in my thirties.
    I now wish I started out with a small perky B ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed and related so many times while reading this! My youngest is 4.5 and I am still balancing the working mama versus me time (and also saving for my boobies since mine are apprently long and skinny if you ask my youngest. Really self esteem booster). Your not alone! Despite the years and distance that has gone by I feel like there are so many similarities. 35 will be a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. *High five for floppy boobs*
    I've been noticing a difference in mine and I haven't even hit 30 OR had a kid. I always refer to this magically scene:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4znJTziDg4 (From "The Sweetest Thing")

    Also, I wouldn't be to concerned with the skin thing. It may just be time to switch up your routine and try a new product. One of the best things I've learned from Make-Up artist in film is your should actually switch it every 6 months to a year. Our skin is constantly changing. Having a baby this last year probably made a even bigger difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Literally cracking up about your floppy boobs (like the rest of your readers)! I hear ya. I used to have awesome boobs. No longer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kara keeping it real! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kara- save the money!! I nursed my twin boys for seven months and then the same thing happened to me, I went to an A cup. I got my boobs done 2/2012- BEST THING EVER- but I would make sure you're done with having kiddos- my perfect perky boobs were worth the money. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground