House hunting, budgeting and other stuff

Saturday, February 8, 2014

The last 2 weeks have been a flurry of crunching numbers, real estate searches and Matt being out of town. 

Over the last year we have been looking for another house. My boss's husband is our real estate agent and we have seen a few places as investment options for Matt's work and a few for us too. We aren't in a rush to buy and we also want to be super smart about diving into another massive purchase. We want a home that we can live in until we go into retirement so we are being pretty picky about the neighborhoods (and neighborhood schools) as well as the "bones" of the house in regards to space, the potential for an open floor plan and storage. We don't want a cookie cutter house or something that has been renovated recently because we'd prefer to update the home to fit our style. 

Needless to say its hard to find exactly what we are looking for in a down market, but we did find one house and almost made an offer. It was a 3 bed/2 bath with a large finished basement and office and a huge den/kitchen combo that would have been perfect. Every room would have needed updating but the price was low and the neighborhood was right. Sadly the house went I to foreclosure in the middle of the owner trying to sell it and someone got to it before us, bidding high. We felt like we'd spend too much if we tried to outbid them and put all the much needed work I to it.

It was disappointing to say the least. I got emotionally attached to the house and was alrwading dreaming up a kitchen remodel. Oh well. We will find the right house in the right time.

Matt and I also redid our monthly budget which is about as fun as walking across hot coals. It's embarrassing to really dive into how we sometimes spend our money - so much junk from Target, or eating out. We are cutting back for a season to help pay down the last of our debts (stupid school loans!) and being disciplined in that area of life will be a blessing... eventually.

Matt left Thursday for his annual snowboarding trip to Salt Lake City. It's just been me and the kiddo and it's been just fine actually. I've tried to stay super organized and have outfits layed out and bags packed in the morning so I'm not rushing around - I forgot how much Matt and I split the parenting stuff until he wasn't here Friday morning! We spent today with my girlfriends and their children - we took the light rail uptown, went to the children's library for story time and ate lunch at a local good market. After B napped I took her to the park and then for a hot dog for dinner (she just said that word for the first time today too!) 

Between those things and work and obligations, it's been hard to just sit down and blog. I've been wrestling with a post on parenthood for the last month - I hope to share it this week. 

Hope you're having a great weekend! 



4 comments:

  1. House hunting can be so hard. . . and hard not to get too attached to a home you love. If I have learned anything, it is be as patient as possible and don't settle. The right house will come along again in time and you will be so thankful you waited it out. Frustrating, but worth it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Matt and I also redid our monthly budget which is about as fun as walking across hot coals." You've got that right sister! I hate talking about bills and savings and such. My husband and I have been doing a lot of that lately with tax returns coming back and deciding how much goes into savings and how much needs to be thrown at debt. It's depressing and stressful at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m sorry, Kara. It can happen, but who knows? This could be a blessing in disguies. Hope you’ll be able to find another house that suits your needs and your desires. In case you can’t find one, you can just consider a spacious home that can easily renovate. :)

    Leslie Myers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m sure you can still find another house that’s meant for your family, Kara! It’s hard to find a house that’ll match with your passion and desire, but it’ll be worth it in the end. Just keep on searching, guys. You’ll find your dream house soon. Keep us updated! :)

    Steve Jamieson

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground