On My Heart: Influence

Thursday, February 20, 2014

In 2012, when the first Influence Conference came and went, I watched from afar and prayed for the leaders, hoping that it would go off without a hitch. I read some of the recaps from bloggers, looked at some of the Instagram pictures and made a mental note to consider going the next year. It seemed like a lot of fun and so many women said how much of an impact it had on their lives.

The tickets went on sale for the 2013 conference and I continued to consider it, but as more time went by, I mentally talked myself out of it. We had a new baby and I couldn’t imagine leaving her behind, even though she would have been over a year old at the time. We had financial goals to save for another home, to stock away more savings for emergencies and vacations. I made my excuses: I was not a big blogger, or a business owner, or crafty, or an expert on anything. Why would I need to go to a blogging conference?

But then in the days leading up to the conference, I found myself checking the speaker schedule, and reading tweets and feeling a twinge of envy mixed in with a healthy dose of regret. I should have bought my ticket, I should have been there.

Over the last year and a half, I have felt the overwhelming stagnancy of my heart, feeling as though I have lost a part of my voice in both my online world and the everyday world I live in. I am a storyteller and I felt like I had no stories left to tell. I am an encourager and I felt I had no hopeful words to share anymore. These were all lies I told myself because I felt small and insignificant in comparison to everyone else around me who from the outside looked successful and influential and put-together and accomplished.

I will probably never be a “big” blogger and maybe never have any of my real writing published, or start my own advice column; but I am called to tell my stories and to be an influence wherever I live, both here on the world wide web and in my sphere of every day real life. I wished I had attended the conference the last two years and become part of this network of women who want the same things I want – to make their online and everyday life mean something more.

So this year instead of wishing, I am doing. Tickets to the 2014 Influence Conference went on sale this week and I bought my ticket without knowing how much a flight or hotel will cost, or who I will room with, or who I will meet. I’m nervous and excited and a little overwhelmed, but I also know that investing in my heart and my influence is never a bad thing.

Influence Conference 2014 here I come. Who's with me?

4 comments:

  1. Kara, I have so greatly enjoyed following your blog since just before you found out you were pregnant with B. You have personally encouraged me by taking the time out of your busy life to reach out a loving and encouraging hand when I felt like I was drowning in the blues of new motherhood. Since then, I have found your voice to be both convicting and hopeful, often in the same moment.
    Whether or not you are defined as a "big" blogger or not, your voice has touched so many and will continue to as long as you have to courage to use it.

    Have a wonderful time at the conference! I hope you learn lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara, I totally agree with Mallory who sums up beautifully my thoughts. As a full-time working mother, wife, friend and daughter, you dedicate a lot of your time to your blog and are, in my opinion, a influential blogger. You have indeed been a real support (beyond borders and oceans) even if you don't know it!.I try to be a better person because you are a really nice person. Please, enjoy the Influence Conference!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground