The new house: wallpaper nightmares

Monday, April 28, 2014

This house was a wallpaper lover's dream - two different green floral patterns adorned the kitchen and laundry room, a textured and glittery pink striped version in the hall bath and not one, but two, layers on one wall in the hallway.

Why one wall in the hallway? Who the heck knows?!

I spent all of today trying to remove it layer by layer. I bought the biggest iced coffee I could find, blasted the American Hustle soundtrack on repeat and wore industrial looking rubber gloves while I spayed wallpaper remover and scraped and scraped and scraped until it was all gone.

I also said a lot of curse words under my breath. Whomever invented wallpaper deserves a special place in... well you get the point.

I'm spending the whole week at the new house tackling all the small projects - the dreaded wallpaper removal, spackling, assembling our kitchen cabinets etc. Wish me luck!

Cheers to a wallpaper free house! (Photo below is one of my wallpaper free walls in the kitchen. I did a little happy dance after I finished it!)

5 comments:

  1. Ugh...haaaaate wallpaper!! In one house, I took the lazy way out and just painted on top of it. Not a genius move. Anyway, hard to imagine that pink glittery striped wallpaper wouldn't go with your decor!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so to follow up on my IG comment: my sister in law said liquid fabric softener in water works best. I've never tried it but she swears by it, especially after watching me curse my way through our own wallpaper nightmare. Good luck!! I am loving all of these house posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liquid fabric softener is what I came here to say! I had a foyer from hell experience years ago and I SWORE I would NEVER put up or remove wallpaper ever again. (It IS making a come back though:( )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once everything is finished, you will be so proud! The "curse word" part of your post made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground