Influence Conference Recap: The Details

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

It's taken me two weeks to get this recap together. Obviously the most important thing that happened to me at the Influence Conference was about my heart (which you can read about here), but in case you are interested in going next year, here is what you have to look forward to:

Informative and helpful workshops and classes
I jumped back and forth between the Life and Strategy tracks and was so impressed with the variety of topics and the talent of the speakers. I heard a great talk about letting go of shame from my roommate's sister-in-law Jamie, a workshop specific to blogging and working with brands by Jen, a funny and sobering chat with Sammy about approval and the internet and finally a pep talk from Nancy about growing a small business.

Jess and Hayley also spoke to the entire conference during morning sessions and the core team helped conduct "revival" chats about some common areas of our life, like work, home and Instagram. And the icing on the cake was Lara's session for Influence Network members. I'm still unpacking all the things she said that night.

The lovely Jess Connolly
The always funny Sammy
I walked away feeling like both my brain and my heart received valuable lessons. In particular, here are a few gems I wrote down during the weekend:

  • What am I doing that is just behavior modification instead of truly changing my heart? - Hayley
  • We have freedom in God to see ourselves as we are, and to see ourselves as he sees us. - Jamie
  • Don't forget to have fun (about blogging). - Jen
  • God doesn't want a better life from you, He wants a better life for you. - Jess
  • Approval is a lover that always breaks your heart.  - Sammy
  • Focus on what you already have, not what you lack (on business and talents). - Nancy
  • What is your message? Do you believe in the messages you are sending out to the world? (on social media) - Moriah / Jess
  • Approval wants fans, not friends. - Sammy
  • Choose purpose over perfect. - Lara


Comfortable rooms and great food
The Westin in Indianapolis is really beautiful. The rooms have the most comfortable beds, there is a Starbucks in the lobby and it's located right in the heart of downtown, close to some great restaurants, a beautiful historic square and shopping if you need it. Also the catered food was great - the best I've ever had from a hotel!

Fountain square
Downtown Indy is gorgeous!
Amazing people
I was constantly surrounded by interesting, encouraging, and talented women. Seriously I met so many women and with each one, I was blown away at their stories, their joy and their savvy. I was so impressed with the atmosphere the core team creates - it's a place where you aren't a stranger to anyone, and you can walk into a room and someone will welcome you, make sure you feel comfortable and strike up conversation. Also meals - this is the time where you can meet new people and get to know them. I had a random lunch conversation turn into a crying fest / adoption tell-all just because I happened to sit down full of a table of strangers. Every night I went to dinner with a few new people and it was so easygoing and fun!

I met so many wonderful women at the conference and am thankful I was able to make a few new friends too. Also, I met my roommates Grace and Joanna through Twitter and they are some of the most precious women. We stayed up until past midnight every night just talking and laughing.

My roomies - Grace, Joanna and Jess
Dinner out with these ladies, forgive my crazy smile - Holly, Emily, Sarah and my roomies)
Oh my goodness, I adore these women! Erica, Valerie, Holly and Chelsea are some of the most impressive and creative women I met that weekend! 

A place to meet God wherever you are
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I was not in the best place mentally or spiritually when I headed to the conference. Regardless, I was still able to feel totally at peace there. No one was throwing hell and brimstone type phrases at me, no one was making me feel guilty or shameful about the state of my heart, and no one was being pushy about their faith. Every speaker talked about God, his goodness and his heart, but it was in a way that was humble, loving and joyful.



I've already purchased my ticket for next year. You don't have to be a blogger, or a master at Twitter, or a small business owner. You just have to be a person who wants to be challenged about their influence, wherever they are. So are you going to Influence next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground